Name Change Possible In Thai Court?

Yangpuss

I'm an American who wants to change his name legally. However, I don't live in America anymore and don't want to go back there to change my name legally in court. (No particular reason except that it would be an expensive trip and I don't have a home there anymore so would have to establish residency, etc.). The US consulate told me that you need a court order to change the name on your passport, and that it must be from a US court. However, the Social Security Administration in the US told me that they would accept a name change based on a court order from a foreign court.

I have emailed the consulate as to whether a Social Security card with my new name on it would suffice for them to change the name on my passport. They haven't answered yet.

My question is, do you think I, as a foreigner, could get a court order to change my name in a Thai court? I'm not in Thailand now, but probably will be soon, but won't have a residency permit or anything like that, just a visa on arrival or maybe a tourist visa. Do you think a Thai court would do this, under these circumstances? How much might it cost for the court fees and a Thai lawyer?

I sort of doubt that anyone has been through this, but hope someone who knows something about dealing with the courts in Thailand and/or the US consulate might be able to offer an opinion. Thanks.