Can A Vpn Be Set Up For Use On "public Access" Wifi Networks?

elkangorito

If I can access a public, "open" & unencrypted WIFI network, then it's possible that others can get into my computer. Is this correct?

In another thread, it was suggested that a VPN could provide good security. If so & if possible, can I set up a VPN & access a public, "open" & unencrypted WIFI network? How can I do this?

If I can access a public, "open" & unencrypted WIFI network, then it's possible that others can get into my computer. Is this correct?

In another thread, it was suggested that a VPN could provide good security. If so & if possible, can I set up a VPN & access a public, "open" & unencrypted WIFI network? How can I do this?

Hotspot VPN has video tutorials on their site. Just click on "How To"

http://www.hotspotvpn.com/

A VPN won't do anything to protect you from people "getting into your computer." Make sure your operating system has all the latest security patches and get a firewall to guard against that.

A VPN simply either allows you to access a private network, or to encrypt all your network traffic so people that are on that public open VPN can't see/read (provided they have the means and know how to packet sniff) what you're doing. However, depending on what your doing, secure browser connections pretty much do the same thing.

If you want anonymity and security check out Tor at tor.eff.org

Edited by DaveBKK

The free version of ZoneAlarm is an excellent firewall, the windows (XP) firewall is useless when you are not behind a hardware firewall.

Zone Alarm works fine but is getting rather bloated and intrusive. I used it from its beta days in the late 90s up until about 18 months ago when I decided it had ceased to be the little wonder it once was. While a hardware firewall is preferred, I'd prefer Windows Firewall and its quiet, low resource operation to Zone Alarm's clumsiness. Both are vulnerable to being disabled by malware that's allowed to slip through.

Edited by cdnvic