New Years Eve

swagman

Some Oz friends are visiting me over the Christmas New Year period and I am looking for something special to do on New Year's Eve for a Chiang Mai experience.

Some years ago I went to the New Years party on the rooftop of the Royal Princess hotel. The evening was a riot. A large cowboy band played with plenty of entertainment including a Thai Elvis impersonator! Of course the view of the hot air balloons filling the sky from the open air rooftop was fantastic.

Has anybody been to the New Year parties there in recent years? Has the standard been maintained?

Perhaps you can suggest another venue which will leave memory of New Year in Chiang Mai.

I have spent the last 2 New Year's Eve's at The Riverside Restaurant.

Probably the BEST New Year's Eve's I have ever had, and the fireworks at midnight are spectacular. :o

They won't take bookings, but if you wanna sit by the river you need to get there about 4pm, a bit early but certainly worth it.

Some Oz friends are visiting me over the Christmas New Year period and I am looking for something special to do on New Year's Eve for a Chiang Mai experience.

Some years ago I went to the New Years party on the rooftop of the Royal Princess hotel. The evening was a riot. A large cowboy band played with plenty of entertainment including a Thai Elvis impersonator! Of course the view of the hot air balloons filling the sky from the open air rooftop was fantastic.

Has anybody been to the New Year parties there in recent years? Has the standard been maintained?

Perhaps you can suggest another venue which will leave memory of New Year in Chiang Mai.

bangkok

No New Years celebrations for me. :o Always have to stay at the kennel, keeping an eye on the dogs and cats.

New Year and Loi Kratong are the worst times for these animals.

Unlike what some believe cages can be a blessing for dogs. For them it's like a den, where they can feel safe.

Two years ago during Loi Kratong my village started pretty early. I had two Saint Bernards, a mastiff and some other slightly smaller dogs freaking out because of the bl**dy fireworks. As they weren't in their cages for the night yet, one huge Saint Bernard tried to hide under the cage, the other behind it. And the Mastiff wanted to break out and run.

Once in their cages, they quieted down and fell asleep. Except for the Mastiff, he was so scared, I needed to stay with him in his cage till things went back to normal around us.

Sure, i could have given him valium or the like, but this can have the opposite effect as well. A dog doesn't understand when being sedated, the only thing it understands is that its body and mind isn't doing that what it normally should be able to do, making it more scared. And because it is the fireworks that triggers the fear, the fear for these fireworks increases in stead of decreases. Not excatly something you want to happen with a Mastiff (or any other animal).

Anyway, no NY's or LK celebrations for me, not that i really mind, there are 363 other days I can celebrate. :D

Nienke

No New Years celebrations for me. :o Always have to stay at the kennel, keeping an eye on the dogs and cats.

Unlike what some believe cages can be a blessing for dogs. For them it's like a den, where they can feel safe.

Two years ago during Loi Kratong my village started pretty early. I had two Saint Bernards, a mastiff and some other slightly smaller dogs freaking out because of the bl**dy fireworks. As they weren't in their cages for the night yet, one huge Saint Bernard tried to hide under the cage, the other behind it. And the Mastiff wanted to break out and run.

Once in their cages, they quieted down and fell asleep. Except for the Mastiff, he was so scared, I needed to stay with him in his cage till things went back to normal around us.

Sure, i could have given him valium or the like, but this can have the opposite effect as well. A dog doesn't understand when being sedated, the only thing it understands is that its body and mind isn't doing that what it normally should be able to do, making it more scared. And because it is the fireworks that triggers the fear, the fear for these fireworks increases in stead of decreases. Not excatly something you want to happen with a Mastiff (or any other animal).

Anyway, no NY's or LK celebrations for me, not that i really mind, there are 363 other days I can celebrate. :D

Nienke

I have 3 dogs, at that time of year you will find two hiding in the bathroom, they like it , small window and the noise doesn't reach there. They will be in hiding for the night. The other will be lying on her back outside looking at the flying lanterns :D She doesn't mind the noise and she likes the parade of lights, after a while she will doze off and sleep through even those big explosion sounding things!

Probably the BEST New Year's Eve's I have ever had, and the fireworks at midnight are spectacular. :D

They won't take bookings, but if you wanna sit by the river you need to get there about 4pm, a bit early but certainly worth it.

Sit in a restaurant on new years eve for eight hours! :o

Nienke

I always shut my dog in the kitchen. It's a fairly small room with shuttered windows which cuts the noise a little. His preferred option would be under the computer desk between my feet! A favorite spot during thunder storms.

Pissed at 7 pm. :o

That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well. I doubt I'd see the New Year in!

Pissed at 7 pm. :o

6pm actually.........7pm I set fire to my party hat :D

Seriously though, if you mix the evening with great freinds and good food you CAN see the New Year in OK, last year being the crusty old foggie I am I went home at midnight ...but everyone else went on to party elsewhere

You don't have to be there at 4pm if you dont care about sitting by the river though.

Probably the BEST New Year's Eve's I have ever had, and the fireworks at midnight are spectacular. :D

Pfft.

Send the maid plus some of her friends to keep you a table. Send her at 4pm, she can have some nice fried rice and a Pepsi for a New Year treat and then later on you and your party merge into her table for the prime spot. Then the maid returns home and spends the rest of the evening with her fingers inserted into the dog's ears.

[From: "Strategic Projection of Household Staff Assets", by Szun Tzu Sanpatong]

Edited by Sanpatong

Pfft.

Send the maid plus some of her friends to keep you a table. Send her at 4pm, she can have some nice fried rice and a Pepsi for a New Year treat and then later on you and your party merge into her table for the prime spot. Then the maid returns home and spends the rest of the evening with her fingers inserted into the dog's ears.

Brilliant Sanpatong!

You da man! :D

Pfft.

Brilliant Sanpatong!

BRILLIANT IDEA STP..anybody thinking of going should take it up

Problem is that this year we have our own restaurant...:D

However we will be putting on a fantastic New Year's Eve party at our place....just wont be able to see the river..would great views of DS do?

I will miss it...but anyone wnating to eat cheap out of town a bit will be welcome..we will supply all the required New Years Eve pharaphanalia..plus a BBQ if you dont want to eat Thai ...which would be a shame as our Thai food is "Aroy Maak"

Sorry if it sounds like a Promo....but hey we all got to make a living :D

TP

Pfft.

bet that you will find a bottle of sang som underneath the table. when you get there, she'll ask you to bugger off cause she quits! its her new years eve celebrations. but gracefully thanks you for the wonderful idea of where to spend it. :D

Pfft.

Brilliant Sanpatong!

However we will be putting on a fantastic New Year's Eve party at our place....just wont be able to see the river..would great views of DS do?

I will miss it...but anyone wnating to eat cheap out of town a bit will be welcome..we will supply all the required New Years Eve pharaphanalia..plus a BBQ if you dont want to eat Thai ...which would be a shame as our Thai food is "Aroy Maak"

Sorry if it sounds like a Promo....but hey we all got to make a living :D

TP

Again, maybe repeat, where is your place???

Pfft.

Brilliant Sanpatong!

Sorry if it sounds like a Promo....but hey we all got to make a living :bah:

TP

Pat Restaurant (although the name will probably change before New Year)Its just off the Hang Dong Road past the airport, turn right at the traffic lights where they are building the new Big C, its three quarters of a mile on the left, 200 yards past the Siritara Condomiium, loads of Fairy Lights outside, people say our Thai Food is pretty good, and we know our prices are ridiculously cheap :D

Pfft.

Brilliant Sanpatong!

Sorry if it sounds like a Promo....but hey we all got to make a living :bah:

TP

Pat Restaurant (although the name will probably change before New Year)Its just off the Hang Dong Road past the airport, turn right at the traffic lights where they are building the new Big C, its three quarters of a mile on the left, 200 yards past the Siritara Condomiium, loads of Fairy Lights outside, people say our Thai Food is pretty good, and we know our prices are ridiculously cheap :D

It sounds bllomin' marvellous TP , If I win the Lottery that's where I will be propping up the bar/table/toilet..... :bah: