Watch Your Excess Baggage

binnsy

Many years ago I flew on EVA airlines and they were really strict about baggage. They weighed everything, including your carry on bag. There were a whole lot of people in a world of hurt on that flight.

Many years ago I flew on EVA airlines and they were really strict about baggage. They weighed everything, including your carry on bag. There were a whole lot of people in a world of hurt on that flight.
when we retuned to the uk to live for a while we had 80 kilos between us, they wanted a fortune for the overweight, now i know from previous experience all these charges are negotiable,this woman wouldnt deal,i said ok we wont go , so my friend that had checked in 2 hours before says im not going either,by now his bags were on board, i know for a fact you cannot have your bags go without you so they were in a position of getting his off, after a few minutes we were being charged 50 per cent of the original quote,,.probably not the right thing to do but they had discounted before so why not again,

Is this a warning for the stupid amongst us? Your ticket and information will clearly state your allowance - if you are over it - tough, pay the money! :o

Totally agree, these groundless whines bore me to death. Rules are rules end of story

were that we were all as martially perfected as nanthaburial and technocracy, then life would be a seamless series of correct actions.

by the way, I did a SFO to BKK a few years ago and had a 5-man inflatable raft which filled the largest duffel bag I could find. I already had 2 suitcases up to limit, and the people at EVA gave me a nice big break - only charged me $100 for excess on the river raft. But that was days gone by, I'm sure everything like that is stricter now. Also: Coming in at Bangkok, the cutoms authorities barely batted an eye as I leisurely strolled my 2 suitcases and large duffel past them. For a brief moment, I felt like the invisible man.

we flew with then in August & the check in women at heathrow was allowing a thai women & her UK hubby an extra 5kg each with the explaination that the allowance for economy is 20 but they always allow another 5kgs per person but anything over is changed at the normal rate.

We went evergreen class but were exactly right allowance (25kgs each) as I didn't want to be charged so when I mentioned this to the check in lady was told we could have had another 10kgs each without charge too!!!

i hate political correctness....when are airlines going to start taking personal body weight into account....a 40KG thai woman and a 120KG polynesian both get 20KG in economy !
Spot on ,then they put the obese one in middle of 3 seats ! do you think we will ever have to step on the scales at check in ? :o

Is this a warning for the stupid amongst us? Your ticket and information will clearly state your allowance - if you are over it - tough, pay the money! :o

Totally agree, these groundless whines bore me to death. Rules are rules end of story

were that we were all as martially perfected as nanthaburial and technocracy, then life would be a seamless series of correct actions.

by the way, I did a SFO to BKK a few years ago and had a 5-man inflatable raft which filled the largest duffel bag I could find. I already had 2 suitcases up to limit, and the people at EVA gave me a nice big break - only charged me $100 for excess on the river raft. But that was days gone by, I'm sure everything like that is stricter now. Also: Coming in at Bangkok, the cutoms authorities barely batted an eye as I leisurely strolled my 2 suitcases and large duffel past them. For a brief moment, I felt like the invisible man.

Believe me it has nothing to do with Martial perfection, just a case of common sense. I can tell you many stories about peoople who arrogantly believe that they do not come under the rules and regulations with such things as baggage

Once when flying between Sao Paolo and London with my family, we had an aircraft change in Amsterdam. I had two small hand baggages (between three of us) when some guy who had swarthy skin came on board WITH A PORTER and tried to deposit ten (10) yes TEN bags in the overhead lockers. He even removed mine and moved them a distance away from my seat and tried to use my overhead locker. The KLM cabin crew did nothing to stop him.

After take off, I calmy opened my over head locker, put his bags on the floor and replaced mine. The cabin crew then told me I couldnt do that as it was blocking the aisle. Not my problem I told them. The guy came up to me and was furious using every swear word he could muster, and actually said loudly,

you are an idiot and you have obviously not flown very often. :D

The fact that I could almost wallpaper my 364 sq m house with boarding cards proved that statement to be incorrect. :D

So please dont think of Martial perfection, think about other people and not just yourself :D

The fact that after we exited the plane my foot clipped his ankle causing him to fall face first on the floor was purely coincidental - I promise. And the fact that nearly a plane load of passengers stood laughing and clapping when they saw him fall tells you a lot.

There is some historical background to this issue of high excess baggage charges.

I believe that the rate per kilo was always fixed quite simply at 1% of the official IATA first class 'full' single fare between the points concerned. In the OP's case this would imply a £3,300 first class 'full' fare to London, which I guess would not be surprising if the airlines still worked with 'full' fares. Of course, airlines no longer base their fare structures on a set of cooperative IATA tarifs as they did in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s. It's a relatively free market now. But they still like to use excess baggage charges as a revenue raiser.

Why did IATA originally choose 1% of the 1st class fare per excess kilo as the formula? I guess it was simple - and it brought the airlines a nice amount of additional revenue.

Why was the basic free weight allowance historically fixed at 20 kilos (44 pounds) for economy class? I believe that it has nothing at all to do with aircraft load capability but was picked up from a very much earlier European practice from the stagecoach/diligence/postkutsche era which took this as the typical weight of the one bag that a passenger was allowed to take on board in those early horse-transport days -- or something like that. If any other members know about this, maybe they could post details. I remember reading this somewhere, but cannot find a reference to it anwhere on the Web.

nonthaburial - ahem to that!

The 'hand' luggage criminals are the worst of the lot! With there bastard huge effin' suitcases that consume an entire over head on there own!

As for 'avoiding' excess changes, firstly read your ticket - which will state your allowance then before you leave home just stick on you bathroom scales - hey presto you know if you have to much and guess what if you've got to much you most likely will get charged an excess. Simple innit! :D

Or take the TV frequent whingers route and stuff you luggage full til you can fit no more and bare lift it, then expect to dump it on the scales and expect the staff will treat you completely different to the other maybe 300 passengers on the same plane! Once you've finished bitching and whinging about the poor service to the staff - post on TV stating the complete and utter bloody obvious . . . logical innit! :o

I have to agree about the "Hand luggage". It amazes me how some people expect a bag the size of an elephant to fit in the overhead lockers. They will do what they can to try to squeeze their elephant in, not giving a toss about other passengers bags.

With regards to excess hold baggage. Airlines generally let you have around 6 or 7 kg over. But if you know you are going to be overweight you have to realise that there is a good chance you will get stung for excess charges.

On a recent BWN-BKK-BWN trip on Thai, I asked the check-in dolly what was the allowance for cattle class. At both desks they said 30kg max. Anything over and they WILL charge. Perhaps that just applies to that route.

Bear in mind that 32kg is the max for any one bag.

Lets just hope other airlines don't follow BA's stance and charge for more than 1 bag.

i hate political correctness....when are airlines going to start taking personal body weight into account....a 40KG thai woman and a 120KG polynesian both get 20KG in economy !

:o:D:D:D

What were you saying ?

Maybe the 120kg guy shouls pay more anyway because of such weight .

No serious , when people are bying tickets the can't see how they look like don't they .

What were you saying ?

No serious , when people are bying tickets the can't see how they look like don't they .

I have seen some airlines do recommend that large people book 2 seats for their "own comfort".

What were you saying ?

I have seen some airlines do recommend that large people book 2 seats for their "own comfort".

Some probably have too , I mean when you have a too big ass .

Expensive flying though , on the other hand if the flight is not fully occupied you could skip to the back seats though .

Good reason to stay on weight .

All this detail. But the devil is in the detail. I try and anticipate problems and understand the rules on these things, but airlines are notoriously vague in their procedures, (I've just been trying to get something "real" out of BA and BMI in UK). I hate travelling at the best of times, but it appears to be getting worse, and I'm using Business Class too.

My latest gripe is that if you book online with two different airlines, that should "connect", you cannot "through book" luggage unless you have a single booking reference, (impossible if you book online, because there is more than one airline involved). So they suggest you book through a travel agent, (and pay their fee etc). So much for technology. The bottom line would appear to be: if you want through checked luggage, you cannot do it online, because you need one ticket reference, (which only a travel agent can do, if there is more than one airline involved).

Perhaps it's all a subtle plan to get us to reduce our carbon emissions. Stay at home, or travel by ship.

Edited by samtam

All this detail. But the devil is in the detail. I try and anticipate problems and understand the rules on these things, but airlines are notoriously vague in their procedures, (I've just been trying to get something "real" out of BA and BMI in UK). I hate travelling at the best of times, but it appears to be getting worse, and I'm using Business Class too.

My latest gripe is that if you book online with two different airlines, that should "connect", you cannot "through book" luggage unless you have a single booking reference, (impossible if you book online, because there is more than one airline involved). So they suggest you book through a travel agent, (and pay their fee etc). So much for technology. The bottom line would appear to be: if you want through checked luggage, you cannot do it online, because you need one ticket reference, (which only a travel agent can do, if there is more than one airline involved).

Perhaps it's all a subtle plan to get us to reduce our carbon emissions. Stay at home, or travel by ship.

maybe not a bad idea for a change to travel by ship .

Any affordable recommendations ?

It usually depends on the agent, but never been charged even though been over the limit. I do bring a duffel bag that fold up into a small square for that very reason - if give me hassle I can just pull the bag out of the suitcase then shift a few items.

This problem may not be quite as universal as you fear. While a single booking reference is obviously the secure solution, I believe that many airlines will still, even if you have separate ticket references, check your bags straight through to a connecting flight on a different airline - if they have some sort of agreement/arrangement/partnership/deal with that other airline. They may also do it if they want to be helpful. Unless this is all something new to do with anti-terrorism, I do not think that there's anything in the baggage check-in systems which prevents airlines from checking your bags right through. I may be wrong, but I suspect that it's more a case of willingness. If you have a problem with connecting your bags between BA and BMI I would imagine it's because they're cut-throat competitors and don't want to help you interline between them.

After your post I checked with Gulf Air for my own next flight to Bangkok and connection on to Phuket with TG. They told me that there's absolutely no problem to check bags right through with two separate ticket references, as is my case. Many people arriving in Bangkok need to transfer to TG for a domestic leg and Gulf Air has an agreement with TG to check bags through, provided that you're flying on to a destination where you can still clear customs (such as Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai).

Maybe your problem is more a case of BA just being unhelpful. I wonder if they also do this for flights into BKK - refuse to check your bags through onto a TG domestic connection to Chaing Mai or Phuket.

Yes, I rather hoped they would be helpful, but I rang them in Edinburgh, where I will be starting my return journey to Bangkok, (via London) and they said that if there were two tickets (codes), it would not be checked through. I thought BMI might be more accommodating, (as a Star Alliance member, with TG), but they too said 'No". Slightly makes the ease of online booking a bit pointless.

Those of you who want to be weghed in at check-in only have to go flying around upcountry in Nepal in RNA's little Twin Otters.

They weigh every passenger and every inanimate object that is going aboard.

That man in the left hand seat at the front wants to know exactly, but exactly, what weight he is going to be asking his engines to lift off that little grass strip.

And, if it is cloudy, sit back on the ground and wait for tomorrow.

Those RNA Captains don't fly in clouds, because in Nepal the clouds have rocks in them.

Mostly, the days of flights being memorable have gone. But RNA's Twin Otters offer the exception.

MY RANT…

It seems logical that airlines determine the combined weight of an “average” human being and his/her baggage (in hold and carry-on).

They obviously know the total carrying capacity (gross weight) of any aircraft on any route (with obvious +/- safety factors)

One might assume that they do a simple math operation to set an arbitrary number – given a full flight and everyone maxed out on baggage – and then subtract the weight of the “average” human - to come up with the “average” baggage weight allowance?

Let me create a typical scenario… (OK, there may be other variations, but for the sake of argument, bear me out here)

So let’s say I pay for a flight… that is based on an “average” (arbitrary) combined weight of...

75 kg. body mass + checked bags = 30 kg. + one carry-on and a laptop = 10kg.

So my money gets me a total of 115 kg (+/-) from point A to point B.

OK… now I weigh in at 65 kg… my wife weighs 55 kg…

Yeah, we are a couple of skinny-ass lightweights.

By the “law of averages”… I should be allowed an extra 10 kg baggage allowance.

By the “law of averages”… my wife should be allowed another 20kg allowance.

RIGHT…? - NOT!

WE would nailed with an extra, exorbitant charge if we dared to try… and be penalized for our low body mass – outright discrimination against skinny folks.

Now how about that “fat-ass” sitting in the next row… he or she might conceivably weigh in at 90, or 100, or MORE kg. Hey, I know a guy who weighs in at least 130 kg… equal to me AND my wife together… will he ever pay for two seats (even though he fills them)?

Yeah, right…!

Now such folks have maxed out the “law of averages” by an additional 10kg – or 20kg – or MORE? - over the “arbitrary” total allowance of 115 kg.

And what extra do they get charged…?????

NADA… Nothing… Never.

The only FAIR thing for the aviation industry to do would be to put the passenger and ALL his/her bags on the scale at the check-in desk… and start to ADD or SUBTRACT from their fare price for over or under the “arbitrary” allowance for their total weight.

Instant fare rebates for underweight

Instant fare surcharges for overweight

Either one applied on-the-spot to the traveler’s credit card.

Could it be done…? Absolutely, without a doubt… Totally simple process.

WILL it ever be done… not freaking likely! (Do pigs fly?)

OK… this skinny-ass, unfairly treated frequent flyer has had his rant… and I will whine about this inequality until the day I sprout wings and fly myself.

In the meantime, I have to deal with this issue for an EVA Air flight from BKK-YVR at the end of Oct.… and will be totally rankled when I see that unnamed, unknown, “sized-challenged” person in front of me waltz through with that extra 10-20-30 kg of gut hanging over his belt… while I might be potentially hassled for just a few kg over. NO JUSTICE.

“Yes… thank you, stewardess… I would like some cheese with that whine!”

Could it be done…? Absolutely, without a doubt… Totally simple process.

I sympathize and wish it was so, but it is impossible and not a simple process. This would require weighing people at checkin or at the gate. Think of the delays and extra personnel required for this process.

There was a suggestion made a few years ago in the USA to do this. A significant fuss made by people with "glandular" problems screaming prejudice and threatening litigation. Under existing North American laws (especially Americans with Disabilities Act) and EU human rights laws, this approach would be blocked.

It would be a nightmare to enforce, particularly in North America. All sorts of exemptions would be granted. You need only look at the travesty relating to handicapped parking where it is estmated that 1 out 2 vehicles with the special parking permits are driven by people that are not truly disabled.

However, they can and should enforce the size rule where a passenger that cannot fit into 1 seat is obliged to purchase 2 seats.

Those of you who want to be weghed in at check-in only have to go flying around upcountry in Nepal in RNA's little Twin Otters.

They weigh every passenger and every inanimate object that is going aboard.

That man in the left hand seat at the front wants to know exactly, but exactly, what weight he is going to be asking his engines to lift off that little grass strip.

And, if it is cloudy, sit back on the ground and wait for tomorrow.

Those RNA Captains don't fly in clouds, because in Nepal the clouds have rocks in them.

Mostly, the days of flights being memorable have gone. But RNA's Twin Otters offer the exception.

Yep those little Nepal twin prop flights are fantastic!  I was sitting right behind the pilot on the last flight I took over there, got exactly the same view, brilliant! :o

On the subject of checking baggage through it doesn't make any difference now in the UK if you have a internal flight that is co

necting to an international you have to pick up your baggage and recheck it  aga

n. 

They changed the rules as part of the anti-terrorism security enforcement.  Previously you could happily check the bags through - I used to do it all the time.  However when my parents came over earlier this year flying exactly the same route as I used to do they were told they could not book the bags through.  

There is still no problems if you are getting a connecting international flight but just not a internal UK flight connecting to an International.

:D

Edited by technocracy

When I booked Etihad from MAN - BKK then 12GO from BKK to Phuket I phoned 12GO as their allowance was 20Kg and Etihad was 30Kg.

12GO said no problem as I was coming off an international flight. Weighed the bags and was on my way to Phuket in no time.

Depends on the airline, I suppose.

But, do airlines not simply put the luggage straight through on international connections without weighing them?