Annoying On-line Booking Sites

think_too_mut

I think you missed my point. Most local travel agents do not have contracts with hotels - they simply call up a third party wholesaler - this means two middle parties must make money. "Western" online sites like Expedia or Last Minute have huge overheads so of course they won't be cheaper. But "Thai" online sites generally don't have this problem - and if they hold their own contracts with hotels (as I do) it would be very tough for a local agent as described above to compete.

I have found this to be not true and that a lot of the smaller agents deal directly with hotels also.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you missed my point. Most local travel agents do not have contracts with hotels - they simply call up a third party wholesaler - this means two middle parties must make money. "Western" online sites like Expedia or Last Minute have huge overheads so of course they won't be cheaper. But "Thai" online sites generally don't have this problem - and if they hold their own contracts with hotels (as I do) it would be very tough for a local agent as described above to compete.

I have found this to be not true and that a lot of the smaller agents deal directly with hotels also.

I can tell you that this is a fact in Thailand. Yes, some agents do have direct contracts with hotels, but the great majority don't. Your advice is good, don't get me wrong - but in most cases in Thailand, it isn't workable - you can check with a few different agents to find out their rate for the hotel and they will quote the same rate - in which case you know they're working through a third party. And for sure this is the case with chain hotels who normally will not deal with most agents.

The $4 commission you are talking about is roughly equivalent to 100 - 150 baht. The standard for most agents is 100 baht. Smaller agents may mark this up to 200 baht - and as I pointed out, when dealing through a third party, this is usually another 100 baht.

This is why you see only small differences in prices between agents and smaller hotels or hotels which are 1-3 star.

Obviously, the best way is to compare prices at a few agents - if you should find one who has a direct contract, their price will usually be lower. Otherwise, you've wasted the time in talking to these different agents.

From an online perspective, you don't waste any time at all and in most cases (for Thai sites) you know that there is not a middleman involved. Furthermore, they don't carry any large overhead by going online, so they count on volume to make profits.

Also, keep in mind that online bookings usually require credit card so there are additional costs of up to 3% depending on the contract they have with the payment gateway, if you go to a local agent you can pay cash. But try to pay by credit card and your cost immediately goes up 3-4%.

And finally - most people booking hotels aren't actually in the destination country. So it would be impossible for them to walk around to local agents - either they would have to call, or email, or fax. Your assertion can make sense if the customer is already in the target country or city.

As I have said before, I'm only talking about Thailand. In Macau, for instance, you will find better rates at the local agents than you will online in 90% of cases - this is simply because the agents there do business differently and only have to talk to about 20 different hotels.

The only way I can further clarify this is to ask which online sites you check. It is impossible to make a general assumption either way but as I am pointing out, it should be much more likely that you find prices at local agents to be slightly higher overall for Thailand.

By the way, Amex itself also runs a travel agency - and you are completely right, it is able to negotiate super rates because it also has to guarantee a minimum number of room nights per year. This could be negotiated with an individual hotel in a chain, or it can be negotiated on a worldwide basis.

In our case, we don't have to guarantee a minimum number of room nights (although we can and will with certain hotels in the future, particularly in business cities like Bangkok) - thus it is not reasonable to assume that we can offer the same rates. Nevertheless, we can offer rates which are far better than most other methods.

The second point is that what you are talking about is essentially business/corporate travel, while what agents and online sites have are considered FIT - fully independent travellers. I can tell you that business travel is generally quoted at a higher rate - thus, if I were to go and guarantee 200 room nights per year, as opposed to your company guaranteeing 200 room nights per year, most likely I would get the better rates. But there are many instances in which a corporate contract rate can be better than an FIT rate.

Yes, AMEX Travel negotiates directly with Salt Lake City headquarters of Marriott or Boston based Sheraton or whoever.

With all the large companies that use AMEX as corp credit card, hotels are just another goodie that AMEX can bring in. Guaranteeing millions of room/nights per year, AMEX Travel is in hotels what WalMart is in retail: "We don't sell to you, we buy for you".

All 3 sides (corporates, AMEX, hotels/airlines) know the value of large numbers.

"FIT" are much more prone to whims and slumps than corporate travelers. Another known thing that underlines the business.

Edited by think_too_mut

With all the large companies that use AMEX as corp credit card, hotels are just another goodie that AMEX can bring in. Guaranteeing millions of room/nights per year, AMEX Travel is in hotels what WalMart is in retail: "We don't sell to you, we buy for you".

That being said, AMEX don't always offer the best rates - even within their own organization customers are placed into different classes. So if Joe Bloggs working for Microsoft uses Amex to book the Marriott, he may get an unbeatable rate - but John Smith working for Local Factory and Ann Jones who runs her own company may actually get much higher rates.

All 3 sides (corporates, AMEX, hotels/airlines) know the value of large numbers.

"FIT" are much more prone to whims and slumps than corporate travelers. Another known thing that underlines the business.

Very true. This explains why we as agents generally get better rates - because the market is more competitive and we have to fight harder to bring customers. Corporate rates are usually the same year-round - but that usually means during high season a corporate rate can be better than other rates - whereas in low season our FIT rates will definitely be better.

This is vastly different, though, if you compare Phuket to Bangkok - it is hard to get a corporate rate in Phuket simply because corporate business will not deliver the numbers needed to make a corporate rate work. So using AMEX, in your case, may only be useful in business hubs.

Anyhow, a tip on how to tell if an agent has direct contracts with hotels as opposed to those who use a third party provider - when you ask them to quote on XYZ hotel, watch to see what they're looking at. If it's a list of prices, it's almost always third party - an agent who has their own contracts typically looks directly at the contract or a copy of it. This applies only to smaller agents, however.

Another tip - look at the label on the binder they are opening up - if it says "Nancy", for example, it's definitely a third party provider. On the other hand, if it says "Chiang Mai" then it's more likely to be a direct contract.

Which online sites do you check

I use this one for gauging prices http://thaihoteldiscount.com and this one for comments on hotels http://asiahotels.com

Sorry I posted links but its related and I am not affiliated in any way whatsoever.

Haha... AsiaHotels one of many sites I use to read reviews :o Their rates are not the best though as they are using an international company for their contracts (and one I have used as a customer in the past).

Thaihoteldiscount is better for gauging prices as it is local - however, they are not a registered travel agent (or at least I can't find any indication as such) and subsequently they are not able to obtain many rates directly from the hotels (since one of the pre-requisites for many agents is a TAT license before they can obtain a contract). It is possible that they have direct contracts with some of the hotels they represent - but it's also likely that a number of the listings in their database are from third-party providers.

Which online sites do you check

I use this one for gauging prices http://thaihoteldiscount.com and this one for comments on hotels http://asiahotels.com

Sorry I posted links but its related and I am not affiliated in any way whatsoever.

Any of them yield to "sorry, the hotel you wanted is fully booked".

What is fully booked in the rock bottom low season?

Like dot com version 1.0.

I think you mean "the hotel you requested is not available" - not exactly the same as "fully booked".

As I don't know which sites you deal with, nor which hotels you are trying to book I can't say one way or the other... but let's try a few examples.

1. The hotel happens to be a boutique-type hotel. It would not be unusual for this hotel to be full.

2. You happen to not be from Europe - in this case the hotel may not be available because they don't accept non-Europeans (believe me, it happens).

3. The site's contract is out of date - obviously they can't confirm a booking for you.

4. You've chosen a low-end hotel which returns a low profit to the site (believe me, this happens too)

5. The site discovers that the price they quoted you is lower than their contract rate (serves them right, but they won't book at a loss).

6. The site discovers that the hotel is closed for renovation, or open but customers aren't likely to be happy with all the noise.

There are more things that could happen - but you will always get a generic "not available" response. Suffice it to say that in some of these cases you would not want to know the reason either.

This is one of the things that used to irritate me the most - especially when I need to have something confirmed within a couple of days. It's also one of the main reasons why I started this project.

I can't avoid all of these situations - but there are ways I can make the situation better, such as faster response times when possible (but again we can only confirm bookings during office hours in most cases), or in some cases offering an alternative, or else some explanation as to why the hotel isn't available. And there are things I can do in advance which will help me to better meet your needs as well (but these I'm not going to divulge up front, let the competition find out after I'm up and running).

In some cases I will have instant confirmation available, and/or credit card guarantee (pay later at end of stay) - but these are usually at higher rates (sometimes, not much higher, but way more convenient).

Other things that bug me - and I'd like to hear yours too - include:

* not knowing whether or not the hotel has internet access

* whether or not they have certain TV channels (like BBC or CNN or ESPN or Star Sports or even Cartoon Network)

* how far away the nearest convenience store is

I think you mean "the hotel you requested is not available" - not exactly the same as "fully booked".

"The hotel you requested is fully booked".

How about this: standing at the reception, I asked for an extra room as my friends were coming for 3 days.

Sorry, sir fully booked. Call your agency.

I did, and there was choice of rooms available, all ok. Hotel staff had no idea where the rooms were.

That's probably the root cause: hotel rooms could be sold in an auction once a year to tour operators and all hotels have to do is to keep the hotel running while the operators bring in the guests and take and absorb the risks. There was a carnage among them in post-tsunami months.

As I don't know which sites you deal with, nor which hotels you are trying to book I can't say one way or the other... but let's try a few examples.

Neither do I remember, 7-8 of them. Probably most common ones.

1. The hotel happens to be a boutique-type hotel. It would not be unusual for this hotel to be full.

No, it's a large 1100-1500 baht hotel - Jomtien Grand Palace, stayed there 10 times.

2. You happen to not be from Europe - in this case the hotel may not be available because they don't accept non-Europeans (believe me, it happens).

Possible...I wonder what they fear...Arabs, Africans or Americans, Australians, Japanese...?

One time I stayed at Rembrandt in BKK and they had all built in power plugs European (like German).

Too annoying supplying plug converters to non-Europeans all night?

3. The site's contract is out of date - obviously they can't confirm a booking for you.

I should not be nor want to be aware of that.

4. You've chosen a low-end hotel which returns a low profit to the site (believe me, this happens too)

Never go into **that low** end.

Even if I did, why do they list the hotel where they make no money?

I have seen some hotels missing from some sites.

5. The site discovers that the price they quoted you is lower than their contract rate (serves them right, but they won't book at a loss).

It's their problem. Pity they wasted my time and keying the details to discover that. That's one reason that prompted this thread - useless online booking sites.

6. The site discovers that the hotel is closed for renovation, or open but customers aren't likely to be happy with all the noise.

In July 2005. I stayed at Royal Cliff Resort. All upper floors were closed for renovations, lower floors open for business. Jack hammering, banging...all day. The site I booked through made no mention of that.

True, it was not that bad to leave or file a complaint.

There are more things that could happen - but you will always get a generic "not available" response. Suffice it to say that in some of these cases you would not want to know the reason either.

This is one of the things that used to irritate me the most - especially when I need to have something confirmed within a couple of days. It's also one of the main reasons why I started this project.

I can't avoid all of these situations - but there are ways I can make the situation better, such as faster response times when possible (but again we can only confirm bookings during office hours in most cases), or in some cases offering an alternative, or else some explanation as to why the hotel isn't available. And there are things I can do in advance which will help me to better meet your needs as well (but these I'm not going to divulge up front, let the competition find out after I'm up and running).

In some cases I will have instant confirmation available, and/or credit card guarantee (pay later at end of stay) - but these are usually at higher rates (sometimes, not much higher, but way more convenient).

Other things that bug me - and I'd like to hear yours too - include:

* not knowing whether or not the hotel has internet access

I know (in Pattaya at least) they don't have Internet access and don't expect it. Even my company's toll free 1800 number in Thailand to access through dial up attracts a 150B charge per call (you can stay on all day or until the line drops).

* whether or not they have certain TV channels (like BBC or CNN or ESPN or Star Sports or even Cartoon Network)

I never watch TV, the first thing I do upon entering a room is unplug the TV from the wall so my child does not waste time on it.

* how far away the nearest convenience store is

In Pattaya and Hua Hin I usually know better than any booking site. Not a problem for me.

How about this: standing at the reception, I asked for an extra room as my friends were coming for 3 days.

Sorry, sir fully booked. Call your agency.

I did, and there was choice of rooms available, all ok. Hotel staff had no idea where the rooms were.

Haha... that has to be a first.

That's probably the root cause: hotel rooms could be sold in an auction once a year to tour operators and all hotels have to do is to keep the hotel running while the operators bring in the guests and take and absorb the risks. There was a carnage among them in post-tsunami months.

Definitely not the case, though the concept is kind of interesting. More likely some European tour operators have minimum guarantees, and perhaps some blocks of rooms solely for their use, but certainly not to the extent you've suggested.

No, it's a large 1100-1500 baht hotel - Jomtien Grand Palace, stayed there 10 times.

This the same hotel you quoted the prices on in an earlier post? BTW I was giving random examples, not specific to your case.

Possible...I wonder what they fear...Arabs, Africans or Americans, Australians, Japanese...?

One time I stayed at Rembrandt in BKK and they had all built in power plugs European (like German).

Too annoying supplying plug converters to non-Europeans all night?

Every hotel is different. I used Europeans as one example but in an earlier post I showed many more groupings. And as for plugs - another pet peeve of mine. No way I'll be able to get that data from every hotel LOL...

Never go into **that low** end.

Even if I did, why do they list the hotel where they make no money?

I have seen some hotels missing from some sites.

Again, this was just an example. There are people who go into the low end and choose a hotel that a booking site barely makes money on.

Anyhow, most sites have less than 100 hotels in Thailand. The larger ones have 300-400.

Mine will have over 1000 (as we already have that many contracts in hand).

It's their problem. Pity they wasted my time and keying the details to discover that. That's one reason that prompted this thread - useless online booking sites.

Agreed - and this is why I'm asking for ways to be "not useless" :o

In July 2005. I stayed at Royal Cliff Resort. All upper floors were closed for renovations, lower floors open for business. Jack hammering, banging...all day. The site I booked through made no mention of that.

True, it was not that bad to leave or file a complaint.

Well, unfortunately we are not always advised either... LOL... but usually a good hotel will send notice to its agents that it is undergoing renovation - and a good agent will know that before booking a guest in. And in online cases, either a notice should be available on the hotel's information page, or the hotel really should be taken offline for that period.

I know (in Pattaya at least) they don't have Internet access and don't expect it. Even my company's toll free 1800 number in Thailand to access through dial up attracts a 150B charge per call (you can stay on all day or until the line drops).

Pattaya I can sort of believe - but if I go down to Pattaya I still want Internet access. Same with Phuket. And of course you would want that in Bangkok.

I never watch TV, the first thing I do upon entering a room is unplug the TV from the wall so my child does not waste time on it.

Haha. Other parents prefer to have it available as an option (like when they want to have a romantic dinner).

In Pattaya and Hua Hin I usually know better than any booking site. Not a problem for me.

Can you say this about every city and town in Thailand? Not to mention proximity to every hotel?

To onethailand:

It's getting too long to quote and answer everything. My idea how a booking site can be useful, down to the backbone - the rooms and availability:

First, like airline reservations sites do - they get the dates and show flights and available seats per class.

You can tell us how hard it is with hotels and why it is so. Neither I and most of board members understand that. Not that we have to but before you say "email us and we will check with the hotel within 2 business days" some knowledge of the procedure would be helpful.

Some hotel booking sites do that too. One shows "immediate confirmation" for some hotels. I used them but when it came to Thai nationals, they emailed back and said it's a different price (it was for Pattaya Park Hotel). From 1200B to 1750B.

Second, a site could keep on a front page what hotels they have rooms at. Then your bells and whistles (distance to convenience stores, beach....) may play a role.

Third, after that you can collect info and payment details once a customer wants the room at offer.

Only then you book the room.

A total opposite to above is when one tries to book Hilton at Hua Hin. For fun, try it and see what I mean. That's how it should not be.

Good luck with your business, hope to see and use your improved site soon.

First, like airline reservations sites do - they get the dates and show flights and available seats per class.

Done. With instant confirmation where available.

Second, a site could keep on a front page what hotels they have rooms at. Then your bells and whistles (distance to convenience stores, beach....) may play a role.

After you enter the search criteria, yes.

Third, after that you can collect info and payment details once a customer wants the room at offer.

Only then you book the room.

For instant, or CC guarantee (pay later), we will collect your details immediately and confirm the booking. For "on request" we will most certainly not ask you for payment details until the room is confirmed and you have accepted it.

Thanks for your comments - most appreciated.

1000 hotels ........lol.

id by pass yr site. too

mut clutter.

wots the difference betweenn hotel number 200 and hotel 1000. probably not much .

customers want value and ease of use.

nueng pan.............lol!

Edited by blizzard

1000 hotels ........lol.

id by pass yr site. too

mut clutter.

wots the difference betweenn hotel number 200 and hotel 1000. probably not much .

customers want value and ease of use.

nueng pan.............lol!

You'll never go through all 1000 anyhow unless you're trying to find a hotel anywhere in Thailand - which people don't normally do, they usually choose to go to a particular location.

Keep in mind we're trying to provide a wide range - and it also means that a hotel you know will likely show up on our list where it won't on other sites. Value and ease of use are relative - the number of hotels in the system are irrelevant. Most people will find what they want on the first page or two of any site. Plus, the more restrictive your search conditions, the better chance we have of meeting those requirements compared to any other site.

TTM - site's not up yet. If people want to book they can certainly PM me in the meantime, but the site will not go live until it is ready for prime time.

By the way, golf courses and spas will also be included though not necessarily launched at the same time. So golfers will be able to book any course they like while finding a day spa for their significant other - everyone's happy.

I have been trying to book (for October, rock-bottom low season) in several different hotes (1000-1500B range) through several online sites just to get response from each and every of them that the hotel I wanted is "fully booked".

And some alternative suggested (unknown or unwanted places, like Jomtien Welcome wreck that is 1km walk to the beach).

After going through their site and entering details, guest names, address....after a few hours "fully booked" response comes.

Why don't they cross out hotels where booking is not possible?

Arrgh! I hate this too!!.. I thought it was just me!

You'll never go through all 1000 anyhow unless you're trying to find a hotel anywhere in Thailand - which people don't normally do, they usually choose to go to a particular location.

Keep in mind we're trying to provide a wide range - and it also means that a hotel you know will likely show up on our list where it won't on other sites. Value and ease of use are relative - the number of hotels in the system are irrelevant. Most people will find what they want on the first page or two of any site. Plus, the more restrictive your search conditions, the better chance we have of meeting those requirements compared to any other site.

TTM - site's not up yet. If people want to book they can certainly PM me in the meantime, but the site will not go live until it is ready for prime time.

By the way, golf courses and spas will also be included though not necessarily launched at the same time. So golfers will be able to book any course they like while finding a day spa for their significant other - everyone's happy.

There is a bit of a problem: many people would want a hotel they know. That has to be easy to use.

Like booking a flight on ANA to Bangkok. I don't want to see Air India, Biman Bangladesh, or others who offer an one-stop flight over Taiwan or even CX in HKG.

Even then, they pop up, altogether, with available seats and different prices.

Extensive searching comes up when everything is booked - Xmas time, for example. But now (October), I don't understand who might have booked all the capacity. Appears, yearly capacity auctions are to a greater extent than even I thought of.

There is a bit of a problem: many people would want a hotel they know. That has to be easy to use.

Like booking a flight on ANA to Bangkok. I don't want to see Air India, Biman Bangladesh, or others who offer an one-stop flight over Taiwan or even CX in HKG.

Even then, they pop up, altogether, with available seats and different prices.

Extensive searching comes up when everything is booked - Xmas time, for example. But now (October), I don't understand who might have booked all the capacity. Appears, yearly capacity auctions are to a greater extent than even I thought of.

In order to choose a hotel you know, you would have an alphabetical list - obviously the longer the list the better the chance of you finding the hotel you were looking for. There isn't any other way to anticipate what people want unless they've been to the site before and allowed the site to store preferences, or have made at least one previous booking.

Believe it or not, I am exactly the same when I travel. There are airlines I will avoid at all costs, and I always want a direct flight except when there's a reason to make a stop in the middle.

I will work on adding that probably next year - the capability is there but at the moment I don't have the time to deal with flights. My design spec is to create a site which will meet the needs of someone as frustrated as myself... LOL...

It's me too. Happens when I book Singapore and HK hotels as well.

However, at the very least a booking site which does on-request bookings will require a name, nationality and number of guests so it's not completely avoidable.

Would it be possible to say if there are rooms available before going into that?

Airline sites do that - then the restrictions come.

Not for the "on request" rooms - but for the instant availability and CC guarantee (pay later) rooms, you will definitely know before the booking process begins :o That will be 99% certain, as sometimes systems do have hiccups... but I don't think anyone is likely to get a "fully booked" message after the fact except under extreme circumstances.

Not for the "on request" rooms - but for the instant availability and CC guarantee (pay later) rooms, you will definitely know before the booking process begins :o That will be 99% certain, as sometimes systems do have hiccups... but I don't think anyone is likely to get a "fully booked" message after the fact except under extreme circumstances.

Does not have to be "pay later".

Only instant knowledge that a room is available. Then it can flow it's usual course.

I use planetholiday.com quite often- mostly because they've got an instant online availability check that so far has worked for me without problem. The prices are in line or better than what I can get through a local agent.

A quick check shows a lot of hotels available for this weekend in Pattaya so might be worth you giving it a shot.

Edited by Crash999

I must admit, I look at booking sites to get general details of hotels in a certain area, say, BKK for access to Skytrain amongst other things.

When I have found some I am interested in I look them up on Google, get their phone numbers and phone them. Even from the UK it is only 1p a minute to call a mobile and 2p per minute to call a land line in Thailand, so it is not an expensive way to book.

Alternately I will send an e-mail but prefer the speed of phoning.

I must admit, I look at booking sites to get general details of hotels in a certain area, say, BKK for access to Skytrain amongst other things.

When I have found some I am interested in I look them up on Google, get their phone numbers and phone them. Even from the UK it is only 1p a minute to call a mobile and 2p per minute to call a land line in Thailand, so it is not an expensive way to book.

Skytrain is very important for Bangkok. At the moment that is how I've categorized those that fall into those areas - also for the subway as well.

Calling may not be any faster, however - because an on-request booking still requires that the hotel be contacted, and when confirmed verbally, this normally needs to be followed up with a booking form which then needs to be returned by the hotel with a confirmation number.

Instant bookings won't be faster either - otherwise they wouldn't be called instant :o

Nevertheless we would certainly welcome a call (when the site is live) if that's what you prefer. In some cases this might actually be better if the hotel doesn't have availability, so that we can get your preferences and then find a few hotels that would fulfill your requirements. Peak season especially.

If however you are calling the hotel itself - you'll end up paying more!

I have given up.

No more hotel booking sites. No more attempts.

My wife just said - our place is far superior to any hotel, even to Sheratons. And (our own people) guests are coming in. Kids with mothers, Siam Park day, then our pool. That was the idea - get the kids to the water.

Next thing would be, if it really has to be out of BKK, - make some arrangement with my Tokyo friend who owns a condo at View Thalay, two condos adjoined, 76sqm, done beautifully.

We have stayed there many times. Pay him 2 months rent for the freedom of using it any of 8 weeks we want , throughout a year.

Good luck with hotel reservations. I am out of that game that makes such a trivial thing as a room available a science. Bi Bi.

Skytrain is very important for Bangkok. At the moment that is how I've categorized those that fall into those areas - also for the subway as well.

Calling may not be any faster, however - because an on-request booking still requires that the hotel be contacted, and when confirmed verbally, this normally needs to be followed up with a booking form which then needs to be returned by the hotel with a confirmation number.

Instant bookings won't be faster either - otherwise they wouldn't be called instant :o

Nevertheless we would certainly welcome a call (when the site is live) if that's what you prefer. In some cases this might actually be better if the hotel doesn't have availability, so that we can get your preferences and then find a few hotels that would fulfill your requirements. Peak season especially.

If however you are calling the hotel itself - you'll end up paying more!

Agreed. Though often when phoning direct and using the price information from the net you can get the same price. Depends on the day I suppose.

Swings and Roundabouts :D

I have given up.

My wife just said - our place is far superior to any hotel, even to Sheratons. And (our own people) guests are coming in. Kids with mothers, Siam Park day, then our pool. That was the idea - get the kids to the water.

Next thing would be, if it really has to be out of BKK, - make some arrangement with my Tokyo friend who owns a condo at View Thalay, two condos adjoined, 76sqm, done beautifully.

We have stayed there many times. Pay him 2 months rent for the freedom of using it any of 8 weeks we want , throughout a year.

Good luck with hotel reservations. I am out of that game that makes such a trivial thing as a room available a science. Bi Bi.

Smart... LOL... I would choose a condo too. But there are going to be times when you don't have that choice...

Intumult - in most cases the hotel will not give you the same price, though they often have promotions which can be quite competitive, sometimes better if they throw in a service or meal or something. I never fail to check the hotel site in addition to any booking sites, and sometimes they do indeed have the best deal.

If anything, some hotels actually force the booking site to maintain a minimum profit level so as not to undercut them too much :o

I have given up.

I wouldn't have said it's exactly a science; the golden rule is to book early or be disappointed. Anyway, at least you haven't got to worry about it anymore.