Anyone Using Satellite Broadband?

ChiangMaiAmerican

I am looking for alternatives to the local can't do, we're sorry the service you paid for doesn't work like we it would said internet service providers. Is anyone here using satellite broadband? Doing a google search I noticed several companies with coverage for Southeast Asia. Unfortunately no one wants to quote price though one was quoting 2 way for Australia for about $160. I would appreciate any information on pricing, service quality, etc.

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

I have IPStar installed, 512k down, 256k up. Seems to work ok, except in the heaviest rain. Actual speed appears to be about 10% of what's quoted eg. download typically 5-10kbps. Sometimes as high as 50kbps but that's rare. Might be better with a 1 or 2mb package.

From memory the installation was about 3,000Bt and the monthly fee about 2,000.

I am looking for alternatives to the local can't do, we're sorry the service you paid for doesn't work like we it would said internet service providers. Is anyone here using satellite broadband? Doing a google search I noticed several companies with coverage for Southeast Asia. Unfortunately no one wants to quote price though one was quoting 2 way for Australia for about $160. I would appreciate any information on pricing, service quality, etc.

I'm in Chaing Mai....had sat internet from Acumen.....4800Bhat/month...no idea what satellite...not interested...its OK.

Contact me if you want more contact info

I have IPStar installed, 512k down, 256k up. Seems to work ok, except in the heaviest rain. Actual speed appears to be about 10% of what's quoted eg. download typically 5-10kbps. Sometimes as high as 50kbps but that's rare. Might be better with a 1 or 2mb package.

From memory the installation was about 3,000Bt and the monthly fee about 2,000.

are you on the home or business package? Try the business package I am on 1mb and get around 800kbs down 230 up. Price is about 2300 a month, with fixed IP.

189896674.png

Edited by dsys

Acumen, SAMART, TOT all resell iPSTAR, however TOT has the master rights for Thailand, and recently have been offering very good prices. Acumen has a better service, I use iPSTAR at a number of sites, thinking of switching to TOT but currently happy with Acumen though they are much more expensive.

In Africa I use a traditional VSAT which costs $850 for a 256 down 52 up service, compere that too $80 from iPSTAR for double that speed and you see why people say iPSTAR is the only affordable Satellite solution.

That said, at the ICT show here I see TOT and TT&T all offering dsl services in places not available before.

I have ToT ipstar 256/128 service and its been stable and works well at that speed. 3200 install 1500 month min. one year no limits on use, but we have no phone line and to far out for adsl if we did. Have a cell tower in the lot next door, but after a year of using the GPRS the service tanked down to 5kb and became useless. That was 500 baht for 200 hours a month, but was never better then 33kb on a good day anyway.