Bottle Banks

mickmac

I enjoy a drop of the old vino parrafino, as can be seen by the large number of empty bottles starting to spring up various points around the house. Does anyone know of a bottle bank/re-cycling bin around/in CM, where I can dump this collection of empties?

If you're into the money, that's one thing, you can do it yourself...but glass is really cheap and doesn't really make it worth your time. Unless you live in a gated development, chances are people 1) come by looking thru the trash outside and would happily dispose of it for you, or 2) They come up your street in the morning to midday hollering 'Kong Gao, Kong Gao!' (old things) as in Got any old things to sell ?? They will buy it off of you for a price that gets them a little profit and returns a bit of cash to you too. Both types of people then scurry off with the booty to the nearest recycling center with their larger neighborhood collections.

BTW... I had one bag of plastic, one of metal, and one of glass that were building up for about 2 months last time I found the guy. I got like 5 baht/ kilo for 4 kilos of plastic and metal - flat rate each. He added that the 5 kilos of glass I had were only worth like 3 baht and that maybe I just give them to him free. I believed him, though not sure. It's not an easy life, so fine, I figure. I get to take my 20 baht = a bowl of noodles for me, and let him do what he can with the rest.

I enjoy a drop of the old vino parrafino, as can be seen by the large number of empty bottles starting to spring up various points around the house. Does anyone know of a bottle bank/re-cycling bin around/in CM, where I can dump this collection of empties?

It's either the garbage man (if you have one) or hope to hear that "old things" street cry. Even then you may be left holding the babies.

Several trustworthy bars I visit (yes, there are many left!) tell me that all beer bottles except Singha yield small financial returns from the re-cyclers. Very recently, re-cyclers started to say they got nothing for Singhas and thus wouldn't pick them up, even if they were clean and in the original box.

I feel like unloading a truckful of empties (most of them mine i confess) right into the front door of their multi-billion baht HQ in Bangkok.

The irresponsible bar-stewards!!