Asian Nations Meeting On Environment Set To Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emission

Jai Dee

Asian nations meeting on environment set to reduce greenhouse gas emission

Thailand is hosting the East and Southeast Asian nations’ ministerial meeting on environmental cooperation and set to reduce greenhouse gas emission in the region as a concrete goal.

Ministers and representatives from 15 countries are in attendance of the meeting, taking place today (October 5th) at the Imperial Queens Park hotel, where technical collaboration as well as practical operations on environment are widely discussed.

The meeting has resulted in agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emission in the region and increase high technologies exchange. Such resolutions will boost greater awareness and lead to the drafting of the declaration of environmental cooperation among Asian nations.

In addition, the fund under 3.2 million US dollars will be set up to continually support the motion for a period of three years.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 October 2007

A lot of hot air. At best it's a 'feel good' get-together - so bureaucrats can pat each other on the back and feel as though they're doing something for the environment. They're not. They're not even impressing the Americans and Europeans who are the ones who always come forth to propose tangible solutions and who are the ones who are first to raise the alarm regarding global environmental issues.

Asians have Sooooooo far to go regarding getting their act together on environmental issues.

Asian leaders only give lip service to environmental issues. They've got many greater concerns, primarily; amassing money and saving face.

There are so many basic things Asian leaders could propose to begin the long march toward cleaning up the environment, it's hard to know where to start. How about; picking up litter, and driving less? The list goes on and on and on.

Asian nations meeting on environment set to reduce greenhouse gas emission

In addition, the fund under 3.2 million US dollars will be set up to continually support the motion for a period of three years./quote]

Yeah, and I wonder where that 3.2 million dollars will end up. I believe that just as much would get done if you gave ME the 3.2 mill!

I can't see progress when I see households selling recyclable plastic waste but where uncontrolled burning of organic residue comes close to making Thailand's two major Northern cities nearly uninhabitable for months at a time during the cool season.

No one really cares unless there's money to be made.

Energy saving campaign to be intensified in response to global warming concerns

The Energy Minister, Dr. Piyasvasti Amranand (ปิยสวัสดิ์ อัมระนันท์), discloses that his ministry in cooperation with the Electric Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) will jointly unveil a campaign on October 9th to promote the use of energy saving light bulb in response to the growing concern over global warming.

Dr. Piyasvasti says the project also aims to raise public awareness on the efficient use of electrical power by using compact fluorescent light bulb instead of the original incandescent bulb.

Under the joint project, the Energy Minister says Thailand would be able to reduce electric consumption by over 4.7 billion megawatts per year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 October 2007