How Is Your Thai Spouse Perceived In Society?

fletchsmile

It has been interesting reading all the TV topics recently with farangs talking about class eg. hi-so. lo-so, working class, etc. I was wondering if this preoccupation with class is more of a British concern as I must admit that I do not totally understand it ?? I am an American and in all my years cannot ever remember a disussion or concern with anyone about someone's class in society until I went on TV. I was aware that the English were more class conscious but had never noticed it on my trips there and thought perhaps mistakingly that it had pretty much subsided in the UK. I understand that the class system is still more alive in so called third world countries and perhaps even somewhat in Thailand but I admit that I have been a bit surprised about all the talk and what might be even construed as a hangup about class from farangs in Thailand. It is interesting reading anyway and I am slowly learning that class is still a hot subject with people from some parts of the world. :o

(edited for spelling)

The Brits retain the concept of class but classifictions have changed and it is now a meritocracy.

Thailand remains hierarchical and people judge people by class, whether rich or poor, farmer or urban, educated or not, teacher, official, bureaucrat etc.

It is therefore intriguing to know how a Thai/farang couple for exmple fits ionto this.

Though I don't lose any sleep over it!

I'm really happy that I don't have to worry about who thinks what about me and my Thai wife.. My wife is a simple farm girl and she is very happy and thankful that we have no money problems and that she doesn't have to impress anyone. The bottom line for my wife and I is "WHO CARES"?

It has been interesting reading all the TV topics recently with farangs talking about class eg. hi-so. lo-so, working class, etc. I was wondering if this preoccupation with class is more of a British concern as I must admit that I do not totally understand it ?? I am an American and in all my years cannot ever remember a disussion or concern with anyone about someone's class in society until I went on TV. I was aware that the English were more class conscious but had never noticed it on my trips there and thought perhaps mistakingly that it had pretty much subsided in the UK. I understand that the class system is still more alive in so called third world countries and perhaps even somewhat in Thailand but I admit that I have been a bit surprised about all the talk and what might be even construed as a hangup about class from farangs in Thailand. It is interesting reading anyway and I am slowly learning that class is still a hot subject with people from some parts of the world. :o

(edited for spelling)

The Brits retain the concept of class but classifictions have changed and it is now a meritocracy.

Thailand remains hierarchical and people judge people by class, whether rich or poor, farmer or urban, educated or not, teacher, official, bureaucrat etc.

It is therefore intriguing to know how a Thai/farang couple for exmple fits ionto this.

Though I don't lose any sleep over it!

Very well put on all 4 points. BTW On the American aspect just google American Class System. For a classless society there seems to be a lot of entries, and some pretty reknown US names on the subject.

Wikipedia had an interesting article, extract copied... The social structure of the United States is a vaguely defined concept which includes several commonly used terms that use educational attainment, income and occupational prestige as the main determinants of class. While it is possible to create dozens of social classes within the confines of American society, most Americans employ a six or five class system. The most commonly applied class concepts used in regards to contemporary American society are:[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class

Also has some interesting bits on Chinese, Japanese, Indians which many people would be aware of, but also Iranians....I wonder what influence the other mixes might be having on Thailand, when we start mixing them all togeher....Where's it all heading...

Edited by fletchthai68

I'm still not convinced by Britons claiming that the UK is not a class based society or that class does not / has not impacted their life in the UK.

Those agreeing with me regarding the way we as foreingers can see class at work in Thai society might perhaps consider that an outsider to British society might likewise see class issues at work there.

Take a look at who is heading up Britain's top jobs in Banking, Commerce, Industry, the leading Charities, public commissions, the top jobs in the medical profession, the legal service and the courts, the military, the churches, the civil service, and of course the house of lords.

The vast majority of these people come from a very tight social class, they come from a core of families who have held those positions for generations. The route they take, is the right family, the right school, the right unvirsity. Breaking into that circle is possible, but only for the extremely talented few.

At the other end of the scale is the working class and below that a growing underclass of people who are now moving into third or fourth generation of welfare dependence.

If you don't mix in those closed circles of the 'ruling class' or you do not come into regular contact with either of these social classes then of course you can live a middle class life without realizing they exist - or that the doors 'above' are as good as closed to you because of your background, and likewise the life choices of a whole bunch of people 'below' you in the social structure are restricted such that they'll remain where they are in life.