Opportunities In Laos

wcr

Dear all,

There is a strong possibility that I may have sold my business in Thailand.

I am in two minds about what I should do next. Firstly let me give you some small background info.

I am 45, I own a publishing/graphic design/website business in Pattaya. Looks like the graphic design and publishing side have been sold, but the website has not. No problem as that can be done from anywhere. I am gay, and have a Lao boyfriend who live with me in Thailand. I have been to Laos several times, see that there are opportunities to be had there. However I am concerned that it maybe to slow for me. So my questions are.

1) What is the situation for me as a white European living in a relationship with a Lao person same sex as me?

2) Are there any expat/tourist type magazines in the major tourist/expat areas in English similar to the ones found in Pattaya, Bangkpk and Phuket etc?

3) Where is the best place to find out if any existing business maybe for sale. I would be interested in renting a guest house or buying a reastuarant.

4) Are there reputable lawyers who help you through the investment process and obtain the correct visa and work permits etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) What is the situation for me as a white European living in a relationship with a Lao person same sex as me?

2) Are there any expat/tourist type magazines in the major tourist/expat areas in English similar to the ones found in Pattaya, Bangkpk and Phuket etc?

3) Where is the best place to find out if any existing business maybe for sale. I would be interested in renting a guest house or buying a reastuarant.

4) Are there reputable lawyers who help you through the investment process and obtain the correct visa and work permits etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's my go:

1) Nobody would blink an eyelid in all honesty! There is a very vibrant gay scene in Lao - surprising to some - but it is 100% here. Numerous of my wifes friends are either gay or ladyboys nearly all have some kind of western boyfriend - I have spoken with numerous of them (the western boyfriends that is) and none of them have ever mentioned any 'problems' in Lao. You are in the situation that you'll never be considered married here, which I believe is the same in Thailand. Also just so you know the Sol-a-dit nightclub in Vientiane is pretty much a fully gay nightclub.

2) No there isn't - but then again there isn't really a huge market for them since the expat scene here isn't very busy. Sure you see many around but most are here working at Embassys or NGOs rather than retirees etc.

3) You could buy pretty much anywhere if you offered them the cash! That's the way it is! People don't tend to sell business that often most of the restaurants you see lining the mekong are actually run on the fronts of peoples houses. The only way is to put out the word via your boyfriends friend or family as to what you want no doubt someone somewhere will know somebody - it's rather incestuous like that! But on the word Guest Houses the government is currently making it very easy for people to open new ones in the Vientiane area due to the SEA Games being here in 2010 and they need a minimal number of rooms. On that note - anything you are doing put it in you boyfriends name it'll save hassle!

4) Laywers!?!? What are them . .. . :o well to obtain a work permit you need sponsorship from a company - this could be a company in your boyfriends name. There are lawyers around and I know of a very good one, who is 100% fluent in english (he'd lived in england for while) but ask your boyfriend if he knows anyone who could help you out on the sponsorship for a work permit.

As you might of gathered from my replies it's more about who you know than what you know! If you know the right person everything becomes easy.

Hope that helps.

:D

Good to see that you are taking steps to go to Lao, good on you ! You of course have all the time to scoop things out, you could just enter on a tourist visa first, and do visa runs for the time being. (no limits on those :D )

I figure the Thai visa situation for your Lao boyfriend didn't work out, I bet it is very hard to obtain non immigrant B for him :o

I don't know much about the business opportunities inside of Laos, but I do know that you shouldn't worry about question number one. I have a Lao partner as well and in all my trips to Lao I have never had any problems. Legal marriage is out of the question, but a nice village marriage (even if it doens't have any legal merits) is fun to do. Even if it was only to make your boyfriend happy :D

Good luck to you !

Thanks so far for the tips. Here are some more questions!

1) In relation to the gay thing. I have been to Laos a few times also, and stayed in hotels/GH's with my bf, no problem as you say. However I am aware of the law relating to having sex with a Lao National without being married and how some have been arrested for this in the past. As a gay couple we cannot legally be married, so I was wondering if that could lead to potential problems?

2) Is it possible to rent a GH or small hotel, same as in Thailand?

3) I presently publish an English language magazine in Pattaya. Do you think there is a market for a general magazine aimed at tourists and expats in Vientiene and maybe LB?

4) I am presently a President of a Rotary Club in Pattaya. Are there any Rotary or Lions clubs in Loas, or do you have business clubs/networking meetings etc?

As for my bf and Thailand. Well I am in the process of finding out about getting him a B Visa and Work Permit. It is possible. I am meeting up with an aquantance who is able to put me in touch with an immigration office who will do this for me. It is legal, you just need to know the correct people. BTW he is not aware of the possiblity of me going th live in Laos with him. This is very early days now and I am just dipping my toe into the water.

Thanks so far for the tips. Here are some more questions!

1) In relation to the gay thing. I have been to Laos a few times also, and stayed in hotels/GH's with my bf, no problem as you say. However I am aware of the law relating to having sex with a Lao National without being married and how some have been arrested for this in the past. As a gay couple we cannot legally be married, so I was wondering if that could lead to potential problems?

2) Is it possible to rent a GH or small hotel, same as in Thailand?

3) I presently publish an English language magazine in Pattaya. Do you think there is a market for a general magazine aimed at tourists and expats in Vientiene and maybe LB?

4) I am presently a President of a Rotary Club in Pattaya. Are there any Rotary or Lions clubs in Loas, or do you have business clubs/networking meetings etc?

As for my bf and Thailand. Well I am in the process of finding out about getting him a B Visa and Work Permit. It is possible. I am meeting up with an aquantance who is able to put me in touch with an immigration office who will do this for me. It is legal, you just need to know the correct people. BTW he is not aware of the possiblity of me going th live in Laos with him. This is very early days now and I am just dipping my toe into the water.

Ok here goes . . .

1) As mentioned on the accomodation thread - I believe the marriage law is primarily aimed at the hetro relationships. Like I said previous I know of numerous gay couples in Vientiane and never heard of any problems.

2) Not doubt it is possible - however I doubt there would be many takers around Vientiane. However if you were considering Luang Prabang I think you'd have more luck up that way. I have a friend who used to run a GH in Luang Prabang and I believe he used to rent it.

3) Hmmm a tough one - there is several Lao - English magazines around - I think the main problem you'd have is the publishing laws, freedom of speech isn't quite the same as Thailand - for obvious reasons! I have seen a few attempts of publications come and go in the past few years whether this was for lack of readership or just poor distribution I don't know

4) I think the closest thing in Laos is the Hashhouse Harriers although I've never attend a hash - can't say it has ever attracted me! :o For a bit more info they have a website: Laos Hash House Harriers

:D