Import Duty/tax

Jaray

Sawasdee all - first time posting!! (Newbie!) :D

Currently in UK after 14 years in Thailand. Shall return to Thailand in a couple of years :D .

Before I return I need to send a parcel from UK to TL containing used vinyl records - you know, those plastic discs with the holes in that you play on a turntable (description for those too young to remember them) :D

Question is, would there be any duty to pay on them?? Does anyone know or know where I might find the info?

When I lived in TL before I bought many records via ebay and never had to pay any duty - maybe I was just lucky. I do hope the powers that be don't put them in the same bracket as CD's for tax purposes :o

Kop khun krap in advance :D ..........Jaray

I think the Harmonized System code category that applies is 8524100004 - Gramophone records. The Thai import duty rate between WTO countries is 30% - but I think that is assuming new records.

See:

http://www.customs.go.th/Tariff/TariffCat....e=8524&keyword=

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.thaitradedata.com

It depends on how many you are sending, if its a fair number in a large box, it will be stopped for sure, and you will have to go to the Postal Customs office, (only one I know of is down the side of Hualompong Station) go through a whole heap of beaurocratic bullshit, and pay anything from 20-40%.

What you need to do is value them very low, make sure they are labelled as second hand, and the addresses need to be personal ones, IE from and to. Also insure the package, it doesnt have to be much, just enough to stop anyone from pilfering it.

If you have trouble with too much tax, ask to see the customs head upstairs, he is a pretty nice guy, and you can usually explain the goods as being personal items and he will look after you.

What I know of tax rates:

Electronics 25%

Automotive 40%

clothing 40%

Plus odd fees and charges to keep all the officials in the manner to which they have become accustomed :o