Question From Opps. In Laos..

asiaworld

This question came up after reading Opportunities in Laos thread, so probably technocracy can enlighten us all..

I would think, that there'd be no reprecussions in Laos from same sex cohabitation, or 'Bring your own' girl , from wherever you came from :o .. But few people would know, that last time i checked , the casual relationship sleep/cohabit with Lao citizen result in heavy fines & deportation, and even if you do want to marry first , you need to get the permission from the Ministry ..

So How Is It in real life ... ???

This question came up after reading Opportunities in Laos thread, so probably technocracy can enlighten us all..

I would think, that there'd be no reprecussions in Laos from same sex cohabitation, or 'Bring your own' girl , from wherever you came from :D .. But few people would know, that last time i checked , the casual relationship sleep/cohabit with Lao citizen result in heavy fines & deportation, and even if you do want to marry first , you need to get the permission from the Ministry ..

So How Is It in real life ... ???

Ahh this old chestnut! :o

The law is it is illegal for a foreigner to sleep with a Lao citizen before marriage - also I should stress that foreigner is ANYONE not Lao including other Asian countries. In reality - it's depends! :D

Ok I'll explain - the basics are if you go around blatantly sleeping with Lao females, taking them into high end hotels, causing scenes in bars etc. The police will be on you like a rash! I've met a few '<deleted>' (no other way to describe them really!) who whinged to me about the police removing a few thousand $ from them. But at the end of it you don't have a choice since it is the law!

However if you are respectful, don't go flaunting around and keep your nose clean - you will get very little hassle. Most hotels will not allow you take a Lao citizen to your room in a hotel, however certain ones will.

There has been in the past times when hotel managers have been in cahoots with the police so let you go up - then ten minutes later there is knock on the door and you'll be relieved of a large amount of $. But basically if you met a girl or boy they will take you to a friendly hotel - it's not a scam - it's just the way things are.

Also you need to be careful around the neighbours in the gf/bf village as if you are seen sleeping together, it's not unknown for them to go tell the head of village and causing trouble for a few $! We had one try to cause trouble for us on this - but we are good friends with the village head and he just told her go away I don't believe you! :D

But if you get married you will get a grilling! For our marriage to be passed we under went 3 (yes 3) police interviews at varying levels in the police. It ain't the easiest task in the world to get married in Lao to a Lao women or man! But I wanted a Lao wedding not some souless wedding in the west (which is a far easier route obviously!). You are correct in say you need permission from the Lao government to marry.

Also on a quick note of Sin Sod in Laos - unlike Thailand in Laos Sin Sod is traditional in Laos at your engagement party (not wedding) the head of the village will announce the Sin Sod to the gathered party. Without a Sin Sod you don't get married - none of this well I'm from the west and don't do it crap . . . you aren't in the west now!

But anyway for people who think that nookie fun doesn't happen in Lao because of these laws - you are VERY mistaken! There is many bars scattered all over the place with hotels attached - not quite short time hotels but near enough! Also around many discos around Vientiane there is girls and boys aplenty - gay or straight. It's just not as in your face or as obvious as Thailand or Cambodia. As with most things in Lao if you know where to go you'll have a great time if not - then you won't have as much fun!

That said I've never actually been into any of the above said bars with attached hotels in Vientiane but I know where they are! :D

:bah: