Word Pronunciation

katastrophic

Forgive my ignorance, but when reading articles on Thailand, I often see the word Khmer. I say see the word, because I haven't a clue how the word is pronounced. Can anyone describe how to verbalise Khmer please?

Kh-mer or kʰmaːe for phonetics

Forgive my ignorance, but when reading articles on Thailand, I often see the word Khmer. I say see the word, because I haven't a clue how the word is pronounced. Can anyone describe how to verbalise Khmer please?

in thai it's pronounced ka-mehn. the tones are (first syllable: low, second syllable:low rising). it means cambodia/cambodian.

all the best.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query, at least I can say it in my head now when I read it!

I am always amazed how fast the regular contributors to this site answer questions and solve problems.

Keep up the good work, your knowledge and banter keeps me informed and amused every day.

...and in Khmer, it's pronounced "ka-mai."

But they pronounce the final 'r' in the Khmer of Surin, and I believe in Northern Khmer generally.

... but not in Phnom Penh.

Nor in most of the rest of the country. (The Phnom Penh pronunication used to be described as atypical, but I've no idea what has happened since it was re-occupied.)