English Lessons For Kids

Dirk_brijs

My son is now 6 years old. He is going now to Aksorn Group on Naklua and to be honest I am extremely happy with this school. Previous he has been going to Montesori and Sathit but none of those schools seem to show any form of advancement for him in any way. Not in English and or any other thing.

Now with Aksorn the biggest challenge is the English program there. They do have one but it seems very limited. The problem too is that I work on cruise ships so I am out for 4 months at a time just to be back for 2 months at the time. Now when I am not home I just know his mum doesnt speak any English with him which shows every time I get back. After the 2 months I am at home he seems to be picking it up a bit but just not enough.

So what I am basicaly looking for is a group or school or teacher who could take care of him for one hour a day or maybe more so in that hour he would have to be forced speaking and learning nothing else but English. I tried English classes with some Thai teachers but 90% of the time they keep speaking Thai anyway.

Does anyone know of some sort of group for foreign kids where they can stay for about one hour and teach the kids English???

Talking a language is still the best way in learning it right?

Any type of advise would do as I think it is sad that communication with my son is limited.

Interesting Dirk.

My step son, 10 years old also goes to Aksorn, in NaKlua and we too are happy with this school but his English is a problem.

We recently started him on 'one to one' English at a private language school on weekends, but I haven't seen any improvement yet.

I will PM you about this.

Cheers

Mobi

Hello, Yes his exposure to the English language is at best limited.

What your son needs is more oral practice with a native English speaker (preferably qualified like myself).

Another alternative is to speak with your wife and ask her to try and also speak English with him and let them both discover the joy of learning a language.

Saying things like "goodnight" "how much is this?" "what is your favourite....?" etc. Any speaking practice will boost confidence for your son.

Inform them that it can be fun and give it a go, even if it is only reciting vocabulary for instance naming items in your home in English.

Hopefully when you arrive back next time your son will be more advanced compared with your last visit.

However i would suggest more formal lessons either in the school or a private qualifed teacher.

All the best and here's to great English speaking in Thailand.

Remember a good dictionary for reference.

Regards

Norman great idea the only problem is my son is a bit too old now to see it as a game. He does understand that his mother speaks Thai so in the rare occasion she tries to talk English to him he rebels straight of on why she doesnt speak Thai to him. He knows he just has to speak English when I am home or during any English class given to him.

Moby would love to hear more about this "one on one" program you talked about though 5 doubt that just weekends is enough.

Aksorn is closed for 2 weeks starting next week so I am thinking of putting him in the English program in Sathit with one of those Philipino teachers there???

Not sure how that will work out though.

Any more advise from others????

Norman great idea the only problem is my son is a bit too old now to see it as a game. He does understand that his mother speaks Thai so in the rare occasion she tries to talk English to him he rebels straight of on why she doesnt speak Thai to him. He knows he just has to speak English when I am home or during any English class given to him.

Moby would love to hear more about this "one on one" program you talked about though 5 doubt that just weekends is enough.

Aksorn is closed for 2 weeks starting next week so I am thinking of putting him in the English program in Sathit with one of those Philipino teachers there???

Not sure how that will work out though.

Any more advise from others????

I am in a similar position. When my son was growing he went to first Sathit and then on to Maryvit. He has extra English lessons however he seems to be making slow if any progress in that language. I am at fault for the one reason that I am quite adept in Thai and he knows so refuses to speak to me in English despite my best efforts. The problem is compounded by the fact that my ex-gf and I are separated. I am really concerned that he learns to speak English as I feel it is a most important part of his education. I will try some of those tips from Norman thanks and see if I can help him improve.

I am in a similar position. When my son was growing he went to first Sathit and then on to Maryvit. He has extra English lessons however he seems to be making slow if any progress in that language. I am at fault for the one reason that I am quite adept in Thai and he knows so refuses to speak to me in English despite my best efforts. The problem is compounded by the fact that my ex-gf and I are separated. I am really concerned that he learns to speak English as I feel it is a most important part of his education. I will try some of those tips from Norman thanks and see if I can help him improve.

Snap!!

However, in my case, I still live with his mother - my wife - and we both try to speak to him in English but he is very loath, and shy, to respond. I feel that once we can make a breakthrough and get him to speak a bit, then it will improve very quickly.

(Virtually the same thing happened with my wife who didn't speak a word of English when I first met her, and it was 2 years before she started to speak any Englsih at all. And now, you wouldn't believe how fluent she has become.)

NormanW What your son needs is more oral practice with a native English speaker (preferably qualified like myself).

You're not offering your services by any chance are you?? :o

My kids go to Aksorn in Sth Pattaya.

Again the English course leaves much to be desired, again I am away for most of the time.

We have negaged a nice lady for one-on-one lessons for a few hours each week - costing 200 baht an hour.

I have only met her once, but she has a reasonable grasp of English and what I really want is for the kids to understand that people do communicate in languages other than Thai. Last night's get-together did help there, where the kids saw both Thais and farangs getting along together in English. My daughter, at least, has tried to say things in English today.

However, I plan to retire in a year or two and then persuade my family to go to England with me for a couple of years so that the kids can struggle in an English education system. But I am not sure if this will mess up their school qualifications in Thailand. So I will be thinking a lot about this in the next few months.

• 9 months later...

All, I have been reading as much as possible on the subject of English for children and so far I am really disappointed. Has anyone had any luck finding someone to assist children with extra english preferably at home.

I, and it appears others are really interested in finding this service here in Pattaya.

A