Which Car To Buy?

NormanW

Hello everyone, i am new here and i would like some advice please.

In the near future i will be moving to Thailand and i need to buy a car (and a bike). My question is about economy, i will be travelling everyday to work and back and i need an economical car, but the choice is amazing.

Ideally i would like 50mpg as i don't want to spend all my wages on fuel.

Also a medium sized car would be nice as i feel quite vunerable in a Honda Jazz/Toyota Yaris.

What do you think?

Is there anything out there?

I have looked at the Hybrid's and have come to the conclusion that they are far to expensive.

Diesel would be great but i've been told they are mainly used in pick up's.

Oh yes and it must be an automatic.

Yours confused

I work in the auto industry (I can't say where in this post). Your best bet for quality is a Toyota. I have one and have never had a problem with it. (don't tell anyone I wrote this :o )

I agree. I had a mitsubishi pickup which my ex robbed from me. I now have a toyata, and so do the taxi drivers for good reason.

Won't go far wrong with a Toyota Corolla (but not much face as the locals associate them with taxis) or even a Virus, sorry, Vios ... I hired one for a week and it handled a 700km upcountry trip without any problems. Bit popular with the laydeez though.

Maybe a Honda Civic might give you a little more style than the Corolla whilst still delivering economy and reliability?

I'd also be swayed by which company has the nearest reputable dealer to where I lived, as much as which one did I like the most...

Won't go far wrong with a Toyota Corolla (but not much face as the locals associate them with taxis) or even a Virus, sorry, Vios ... I hired one for a week and it handled a 700km upcountry trip without any problems. Bit popular with the laydeez though.

Maybe a Honda Civic might give you a little more style than the Corolla whilst still delivering economy and reliability?

I'd also be swayed by which company has the nearest reputable dealer to where I lived, as much as which one did I like the most...

Honda does not have the best reputation in the quality department and Mitsubishi just got into serious trouble in Japan for failing to disclose design flaws that resulted in deaths.

Edited by hiromj

Honda does not have the best reputation in the quality department and Mitsubishi just got into serious trouble in Japan for failing to disclose design flaws that resulted in deaths.

Strange - I had an Accord for 3 years without any problems. Equally as bomb proof as the Nissan Cefiro I had before it.

My friend bought a Civic about 6 mths ago - also no problems - and nor has he had any with the Toyota Camry he drives to work every day.

Wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with any modern Japanese car ...

Edit: apart from a Mitsuibuishi by the sounds of it!

Edited by Captain Chaos

Strange - I had an Accord for 3 years without any problems. Equally as bomb proof as the Nissan Cefiro I had before it.

My friend bought a Civic about 6 mths ago - also no problems - and nor has he had any with the Toyota Camry he drives to work every day.

Wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with any modern Japanese car ...

Edit: apart from a Mitsuibuishi by the sounds of it!

Basically you are correct. It's hard to go wrong with the Japanese cars, especially comparing to American cars (did I just say that??). For another example, I bought a brand new Mercedes E class a few years ago and it was THE biggest piece of junk that I have ever owned. For five years it was in the shop at least once every three months. No more Mercedes for me. I will probably buy a Camry when I go back to the states.

Edited by hiromj

I currently run a Honda and a Toyota.

I previously had a Ford and before that Chevrolet.

The reliability of Japanese cars in Thailand is second to none, and the costs of service and repairs is also very reasonable, compared with other makes. I have heard horror stories about the cost of repairs for Mercedes, BMW's and Range Rovers, and my previous cars were also expensive to service and repair. Also, wherever you are in Thailand, you are never far from a Toyota or Honda dealer.

I would put Toyota slightly ahead of Honda in the service stakes, but there isn't much in it.

There are two Toyota dealers/service centres in Pattaya on Sukhumvit. One is on the right as you head North from Pattaya Nua, and the other one is on the left, almost out of Pattaya.

I have tried them both and the one on the left (heading North)is much better - extremely efficient and can fix any niggles in no time, at very low cost.

Hire a nice wee Honda City Auto for the week we were up in the Mai...cracking little motor and seemed to go on forever.....very good and mai peng on juice ...see pics... :o

Yeah, I forgot about the City ... prolly coz Mrs CC shouts "narak" excitedly everytime she sees a Jazz ... everyone I know with a City rates them ... only trouble for me is the baboon's arse styling job :D