Get Divorced, Lose My "o"?

I just thought of this. If I get a divorce from my Thai wife, who is the reason for my "O" visa, do I lose my visa the moment the judge says game over? What happens then? Deported or do you get a grace period -- until your "admitted until" date or something shorter?

Don't believe anyone has survived long enough to post what happens but would expect it to be like with a work permit - lose it and you have pack up time of about 10 days. Let us know. :o

Whilst this is probably correct in principle I would not think that Thailand's communication (between the different entities 'court, immigration etc) is such that he need worry.

SSBKK personally I would think that if you just keep your head down and let the visa run to it's expiry you won't get yourself into too much grief.

I mean after all you have a perfectly valid visa.

Don't believe anyone has survived long enough to post what happens but would expect it to be like with a work permit - lose it and you have pack up time of about 10 days.  Let us know. :o

Whilst this is probably correct in principle I would not think that Thailand's communication (between the different entities 'court, immigration etc) is such that he need worry.

SSBKK personally I would think that if you just keep your head down and let the visa run to it's expiry you won't get yourself into too much grief.

I mean after all you have a perfectly valid visa.

No he does not have a valid visa. He had an extension of stay based on support. That reason will end.

Although you may be right; it would only take one short phone call from the ex to immigration. I would want to be outside Thailand before that happens.

I agree with John B Good.

Keep your head down and you will be OK until the yearly renewal,

then you need to think again.

Are you old enough for a retirement visa?

Don't forget the 90 day reporting now - if that gets onto computer you can expect police to be checking. Divorce will also show up in computer records, if not now; soon. Staying here in a sham marriage condition is something they seem to be looking to end these days. My guess is that may have worked in the past but is much less likely not to work today.

He had an extension of stay based on support.

No "he" doesn't. I don't have one of those one-year extensions, I do visa runs every three months against my multi-entry "O".

I would want to be outside Thailand before that happens.

Why? I can always leave and come back on a Tourist visa for the court date where the marriage is actually terminated. Immigration can't force you to use the "O" if it is still valid, can they? I think I could either do the Penang thing and get my "O" cancelled and replaced with a torusit visa or just get 30 days on entry.

Or does coming into Thailand to get a divorce count as some sort of "business" and yet another fool detail they can use to screw you? (You bet I'm bitter)

Are you old enough for a retirement visa?

Sadly, no.

I was on a one year extension to support the wife and then got divorced in June. I waited until the following January, explained the situation to the nice immigration officier and he gave me a choice.

Either apply for an extension to support my children or go for a retirement extension.

I realise that you may not be in a similar sitution but no-one said that I had done anything wrong. I hope you get likeminded officier when you apply.

Friend of mine was divorced, but hung on to his one-year extension. Before that ran out he had found work, covered it with a 'B' visa and work permit. When that finished he went back to working in Middle East - 'cos he had no legitimate reason to stay in Thailand, even though he owns a condo here. He now visits on his vacations, between jobs he does visa runs.

As he is near fluent in Thai, has become Buddhist, done the three-month monk bit (all while he was happily married) I think he knows a reasonable amount about what he could / could not get away with. And staying here on a marriage extension without a wife was not a problem until renewal time.

Friend of mine was divorced, but hung on to his one-year extension. Before that ran out he had found work, covered it with a 'B' visa and work permit. When that finished he went back to working in Middle East - 'cos he had no legitimate reason to stay in Thailand, even though he owns a condo here. He now visits on his vacations, between jobs he does visa runs.

As he is near fluent in Thai, has become Buddhist, done the three-month monk bit (all while he was happily married) I think he knows a reasonable amount about what he could / could not get away with. And staying here on a marriage extension without a wife was not a problem until renewal time.

I would agree if the ex does not inform immigration. If she does it could well be a problem. They do check on people married to make sure they are together - support is the name of the extension and if no support no extension grounds.

But I started barking up the wrong tree here anyhow as poster is not on an extension so should not have any problem (other than the obvious/wife). :o