Thailand Launches "no Belly For Thais" Campaigns

george

Agreed. But there is a huge industry thinking hard and trying to sucker Joe Soap, missus and kids into doing so. It is the advertising industry.

And those industries we recognise in Thailand as Western brands are all in fact owned by Thais. All the fast food chains are owned by Thais.

McThai, CP Group, Minor Food Group, etc, etc, etc.

Correct on the first two - but Minor's majority shareholder is an American named Bill Heinecke, who also owns the Royal Gardens in Bangkok and Pattaya and a few other things besides.

Yes, it's a public company and thus technically owned mostly by Thais, but they were not brought here by a Thai.

Correct on the first two - but Minor's majority shareholder is an American named Bill Heinecke, who also owns the Royal Gardens in Bangkok and Pattaya and a few other things besides.

Yes, it's a public company and thus technically owned mostly by Thais, but they were not brought here by a Thai.

Who has Thai citicenship...

Who has Thai citicenship...

True but I don't think this was quite what Emperor Tud had in mind :o

I can't believe that units like feet, inches or pounds or yet used in the 21th century :o

Thanks to Google, we don’t even need a calculator anymore to the conversions. In the search field or the address field, just type for example “9 stone 12 lb in kg” (without the quotations marks) and press enter. Or type “5 ft 10 in in m” or “5 foot 10 inches in metres” ore any which way you can think of it.

Nifty, isn't it?

--

Maestro

And you are also wrong yet again that they were "not brought here by a Thai".

I was only referring to Minor. I know McThai's history and CP's as well.

And yes, ultimately the demand is coming from the Thais and thus one can't blame others for creating the demand in the first place.

A report just released {Sep 2007} by the Scottish Public Health Observatory contains the startling information that Scotland is now the second most obese nation in the world, second just to the US
LINK

Report Producers

The report provides an overview of the epidemiology of obesity in Scotland, describing geographical and social variations in obesity, health inequalities and related morbidity and mortality. The report concludes by identifying some important information needs and gaps for public health intelligence on obesity in Scotland. This is the first in a series of reports by ScotPHO on key public health issues in Scotland.
This would appear to be more comprehensive than a crude BMI {a highly debatable calculation at best} league table.

Regards

/edit add detail//

Edited by A_Traveller

Just a thought, all the "I saw a disgusting fat farang today" talk that goes on in Thailand amongst the expat/farang community, all too often overlooks the fact that there is a hel_l of a lot of Thais who are obese.

I myself could do with shedding a few pounds but am not fat, but it seems to me that when farang see other farang in a negative light they forget that the locals also possess these traits.

I was suprised to see that according to one report Scotland is the second most over weight nation on the planet, second only to the kings of fat the U.S.

Not true. I live in Scotland and am fairly well traveled but fail to see how anyone can come up with this nonsense ? For example I walked to the shop only 10 mins ago and saw no obese people, none of my friends are fat. However I do see fat people, but not more than if I was in Germany, Spain etc etc.

However the diet for many of my fellow countrymen is truly shocking ! I have seen children eating chips and burger etc for snack time and lunch time, and guess whats for tea when they get home. Combine that lifetime diet with rampant alcohol abuse and smoking and people tend to die very early here, especially in cities like Glasgow which has a very depressing mortality rate compared to the national average. It is not just Scotland though. The English have almost exactly the same diet as us, after all it is an island divided by an invisible border.

Saying all that sometimes there is NOTHING better than a full English breakfast (or full Scottish as we say here :D )

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm FAT, GREASE, Homer likes !!!!!!!!!!

:o

If you'd ever been to Scotland you'd know that was total nonsense. It's nowhere near the second over-weight nation.
Not true. I live in Scotland and am fairly well traveled but fail to see how anyone can come up with this nonsense

http://www.soesteem.co.uk/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=4207

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1798

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/h...icle2532694.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../26/nfat126.xml

A report just released {Sep 2007} by the Scottish Public Health Observatory contains the startling information that Scotland is now the second most obese nation in the world, second just to the US

I was discussing this with a work colleague (English guy) and he mentioned another startling fact. Apparently Scottish men have the second lowest sperm count also.

Be fruitful, and multiply. :o

BMI is a load of crap...

That's been discussed already in this thread.

Kiakaha, what's your waist-hip ratio?

--

Maestro

hahahahaha..... is that a joke or a come on line ? I'm cut and ripped . period.

Is that your body...or the seat of your pants?

OH C'mon... just in jest - you gotta admit you oppened yourself up for that one! Have a great one!

Most obesity has a very simplistic cause, regardless of how some people try to grasp at straws to justify their "problem" and their inability to deal with it.

The Laws of Thermodynamics state that in a "closed system" - aka the human body - energy in must equal energy out.

Thus, Calories in = Calories out... and you have a balanced system - and weight remains constant.

If Calories IN is more than Calories out... there is a gain in weight.

If Calories OUT is more than Calories in... there is a loss of weight.

So... all those weight-challenged folks have a choice (two in fact - better in combination)...

Eat less and exercise more.

Sorry folks... you may think the physical laws of the universe don't apply to you... but unfortunately, you cannot avoid basic thermodynamics when it comes to your weight.

I would like to have this discussion with you again in say about 50 or 100 years when more is understood on the subject and current laws are proven to be absolutely correct. All my instincts and current (limited) knowledge lead me to believe the entire picture is yet to be painted.

Hmmm! Interesting?

The Laws of Thermodynamics will miraculously change in 50-100 years????

Sounds delusional to me... some folks are just WISHING for some bizarre genetic link (aka recessive gene) to excuse themselves from the aforementioned Laws - which have been in existence for some billion of years.

Chok Dee Krap... but it just AIN'T gonna happen.

My point remains...

People must get real and take responsibility for their own actions - in life - and for weight.