Restorers: How Do You Bring The Gleam Back To The Old Girl?

Macx

I've got a 10 yo. CBR. The metallic bits and bolts and nuts are rusting and showing their age, especially in this salty, tropical climate. The aluminum frame is showing the dullness of oxidation.

Any tips on restoring some shine to the older bikes? Is there some chemical I could buy to make the aluminum bright again? Where can I buy a whole new set of stainless steel bolts? How to say it in Thai?

Thanks!

the polish I use on this is autoglym red and gold from the UK, superb polish, also you can buy s-steel bolts and anodised ones in Bangkok, i have the number somewhere, here is my CBR 1998.

IMG_0386.jpg

Edited by Thaicoon

the polish I use on this is autoglym red and gold from the UK, superb polish, also you can buy s-steel bolts and anodised ones in Bangkok, i have the number somewhere, here is my CBR 1998.

NICE! :o Very cool.

Yeah, I would like mine to look half as clean. I dragged mine all over the South and left her sitting for a year. Now enjoying her again. Didn't notice how awful she looked until the mechanic reminded to get her wash and polished :D

Would appreciate the number if you find it. Cheers.

There is an old wives tale, to get chrome and S/S Bolts looking new again, never tried it, but apparantly it works, they also use it as a chrome cleaner,

I think you can purchase in Thailand, VINEGAR.

fill a jar up with vinegar, put your bolts etc in the jar, seal the top and give it a good shake, leave 24 hours and the bolts will come out like new, just wipe them over with a clean rag, vinegar gets rid of rust, oxidisation etc.

Vinegar has a lot of uses, weed killer, ants etc.

Give it a go

I read this in a car/Bike restorers book on tips.

Percy2,

Yep 900 fireblade, going to put nitros on it :o

Edited by Thaicoon

Percy2,

Yep 900 fireblade, going to put nitros on it :o

1997 European spec :D

Cheers

Yep, on the ball percy, but in Thailand down as 1998, its an RRV model, how do you know your fireblades ?.

Not all of them just that one.

Have the Haines manual around here somewhere.

Cheers

I've got a 10 yo. CBR. The metallic bits and bolts and nuts are rusting and showing their age, especially in this salty, tropical climate. The aluminum frame is showing the dullness of oxidation.

Any tips on restoring some shine to the older bikes? Is there some chemical I could buy to make the aluminum bright again? Where can I buy a whole new set of stainless steel bolts? How to say it in Thai?

Thanks!

how far do you want to go ? you can strip it and have the frame etc polished, not expensive in thailand, then go on to ebay and buy a s steel nut and bolt set,if the paint is ok leave it, an original paint job is always best to keep,. i have a hayabusa but i ride mainly off road now and i strip my bike after all my long off road events ( cambodia for 8 days etc ) .some of it i enjoy, but as for scrubbing and sanding, nah get a thai mechanic to do it, :o

post-41326-1193072980_thumb.jpg

When I saw the main thread title, I thought I'd found a forum for marriage counseling! :o

Hey, since it brought you in, I suppose we could go that way.

So, what seems to be the problem with your old girl? :D

how far do you want to go ? you can strip it and have the frame etc polished, not expensive in thailand, then go on to ebay and buy a s steel nut and bolt set,if the paint is ok leave it, an original paint job is always best to keep,. i have a hayabusa but i ride mainly off road now and i strip my bike after all my long off road events ( cambodia for 8 days etc ) .some of it i enjoy, but as for scrubbing and sanding, nah get a thai mechanic to do it, :o

Yeah, I hear you. I'm gonna let the mechanic do it. Just a bit here and there.

BTW, how do you ride Hayabusa off road? What mods?

When I saw the main thread title, I thought I'd found a forum for marriage counseling! :o

Exactly as you described it! :D

None, just take a corner too fast ! :D. i have ktm 525 and a yamaha dt230 for the SCHEDULED trips off road .! Edited by mikethevigoman

None, just take a corner too fast ! :D. i have ktm 525 and a yamaha dt230 for the SCHEDULED trips off road .!

Good one! :D

Geeezzz, mate. I'm envious. How many bikes do you have right now?

Exactly as you described it! :D

I empathize. :D

So how did you bring the shine back to the old girl?

None, just take a corner too fast ! :D . i have ktm 525 and a yamaha dt230 for the SCHEDULED trips off road .!

Good one! :D

Geeezzz, mate. I'm envious. How many bikes do you have right now?

just the 3, the ktm is kept in phnom penh ,i ride the yamaha down there and depending on the severity of the track/ride i choose either bike, if you havent experieced riding in cambodia i would describe it as similar to riding from baghdad airport into town ! without the bullets !./ awesome

post-41326-1193194388_thumb.jpg

just the 3, the ktm is kept in phnom penh ,i ride the yamaha down there and depending on the severity of the track/ride i choose either bike, if you havent experieced riding in cambodia i would describe it as similar to riding from baghdad airport into town ! without the bullets !./ awesome

That's on the agenda for next year!

I'll have to hit you up for tips at some point.

Great pic! You have more?

When I stripped my Honda Pop, I dumped all the alluminium bits into toilet cleaner for a few minutes. It came out looking like new but just be sure to wash it all properly with clean water otherwise the acid will just keep on eating away at the metal. Read about my restoration project HERE.

the polish I use on this is autoglym red and gold from the UK, superb polish,
But not quite as good as the all time #1 metal polishmetalpolish.gifwhich can be found in Thailand. Had the address once but ...

Review

But you still have to combine it with the EG product

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Allen-Bolt...1QQcmdZViewItem

To the op, i have added a link for some nuts, for you here is some more pics,, you are welcome to come on a ride, you can rent a bike in PP fpr $10 a day !

post-41326-1193282140_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1193282162_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1193282188_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1193282275_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

To the op, i have added a link for some nuts, for you here is some more pics,, you are welcome to come on a ride, you can rent a bike in PP fpr $10 a day !

Now I see the need for the 660 Tenere!!