Skype Vs Gizmoproject

pattyboy

I've been using Skype for over a year and it's been pretty good, but I'd like to check out the competition. Looking on the internet, I found references to a service called Gizmo Project, which seems to better and cheaper, according to some reviews. They don't charge a per call connection fee like Skype does, and their rates are a little lower. I find Skype to have decent call quality most of the time, although often it's more like a walkie-talkie (you talk then I talk) rather than a proper 2-way (full-duplex) connection. And recently, I've been experiencing some drop out (can't hear the other party) during conversations (which probably has more to do with TOT than with Skype). So, I was wondering if anyone has been using Gizmo, and if so, how has it been working for you?

At one point(couple of months ago i think) i had some major probs with skype so after looking at reviews for alternatives i got gizmo and bought credit for 'out' calls. Worked great ..for a while..but now for whatever reason i hear NOTHING when making calls. It connects...but hear nothing. Same numbers with Skype connect and can talk fine. Shame, because the clarity of gizmo calls seemed much better than skype and has is user friendly in the same way. (this may be a problem my end however, as i havent looked into fixing it/re-downloading)

If i recal you get some free credit for out calls when you join up..so maybe worth-while you downloading to test it out. You also have same pc to pc free calls as with skype if i recal.

As i said..the issue i mentioned may just be a prob my end and apart from that i found it actually better than skype for clarity of phone calls.

how long has Skype been around -- 2 years?? not sure but i was one of the early adopters and have been using it regualry since for business and personal, with a very high volume of both domestic and international usage

I get good clarity and service 95 precent of the time - by good I mean land line quality. if it is not too good, dropping off and reconnecting usually solves the problem. I am a Skype fan and can't be bothered with all the hassle of changing services but am interested in what other expereinces you may have when / if you chnage

all the best

Since being bought out by Ebay, Skype prices have gone up and service down. SkypeIn numbers have gone from $38 to $60 per year and call-out charges have gone up 2-3 times for everything but the "global" numbers. Apparently if you're in the US the difference is not much but calling most European countries there is a big difference now.

Yahoo provides same call quality with call-out prices at a third of Skype and you can get a number like with SkypeIn from yahoo for $19.95 per year.

Seems the same pattern whatever Ebay touches. Paypal also used to be much better before they stepped in :o

Since being bought out by Ebay, Skype prices have gone up and service down. SkypeIn numbers have gone from $38 to $60 per year and call-out charges have gone up 2-3 times for everything but the "global" numbers. Apparently if you're in the US the difference is not much but calling most European countries there is a big difference now.

Yahoo provides same call quality with call-out prices at a third of Skype and you can get a number like with SkypeIn from yahoo for $19.95 per year.

Seems the same pattern whatever Ebay touches. Paypal also used to be much better before they stepped in :o

skype is ok 80% of the time which is ok as its free ,the problem with changing is you have to re educate all your freinds to change over as there all using skype .

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my experiences with Yahoo Voice and Gizmo Project.

STAY AWAY FROM GIZMO PROJECT! This software/system is full of bugs and problems. It worked the first time I tried it but has not worked since. I have requested a refund from them but not confident they'll respond. Seem to be a bunch of shysters.

So, today I bought call out service with Yahoo Voice. It was set up and I was able to made a phone call quickly. Good quality connection. No problems so far with it, and hopefully that will remain the case.

I use VOIPSTUNT. It's a lot cheaper than Skype. After paying 10 Euros you get free calls to land lines in certain countries for up to 120 days. If you top up your account with 10 euros before the 120 days is up, you do NOt lose the remaining days.

Calls to mobiles are cheaper than Skype and I find it better than Skype.

Web site is www.voipstunt.com

although often it's more like a walkie-talkie (you talk then I talk) rather than a proper 2-way (full-duplex) connection.

If you're NOT using a head-set (ear phones + microphone) then Skype will attempt to 'guess' who's talking to prevent an echo. (Otherwise sound from your speakers goes into the microphone, creating an echo).

Try using a head-set (or ear-phones at least), and make sure you indicate in Skype's settings that you're using one.