Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

Last week: border guard on Thai side said no VIP passes. I didn't ask him about Chinese (it slipped my mind). Maybe that's a side biz for someone at the border: sell masks depicting Chinese men and women. 50 baht each. Put on the mask, get in line with a Chinese group, and you can stroll around the Tachilek tourist market for awhile. If you get caught, what will be the charge? "impersonating a Chinese tourist" ?

Coming back to Thailand, it's still commotion, with people trying to negotiate a cattle-guarded narrow space with luggage. Even without luggage, it's not easy to pass someone in a 20 inch corridor without pressing your body against the other person. There are so many things wrong with the border crossing, it's ridiculous.

I'm sure that if you're not a visa runner you can still cross the border as usual...., even with your car if you want. However, now you will probably be required to get exit stamps for Thailand, the usual entry/exit stamps for Myanmar and another entry stamp for Thailand upon return, right?

How can you be sure (?), if the border guards aren't sure from week to week. Doubtful about cars, though I'd be glad to be proven wrong. A farang driving a car in Tachilek is as common as a swimming meet (note: there is no swimming pool in Tachilek). I have, however, driven a motorbike in and around Tachilek, but if I told you how I did it, I'd have to report you to Dick Cheney's waterboard office.

Also, how can Thai guides be allowed to operate in Myanmar? That is beyond their jurisdiction and considered illegal work. Wouldn't the guides need to be Burmese? In which case the Burmese would be the ones applying such a rule (which I doubt, although they did have a rule like this up until 2013 when the border became truly international).

Good point. Yet you're assuming there's a modicum of common sense among border guards. There's not. And, in case you're wondering, Chinese tourists in groups are given privileges not afforded the rest of us. Thailand is under a self-appointed government who make no bones about giving privileges to Chinese - tourists, businesses, defense contractors, real estate developers, and banks. The border scenario is just a tiny portion of that.

Nonsense, I'm a "farang" and I've driven a Thai car in Myawady, across from Mae Sot. Quite easy to do but just like at Tachilek, you can't leave the border area with the car unless you go on a tour. 6 months earlier I also spotted a "farang" couple driving a Thai motorcycle across the bridge. There is no agreement on the exchange of traffic rights between Thailand and Myanmar, though reportedly they are in the process of negotiating one.

I asked about this at Mae Sai once and the process is identical to every other border - no insurance on the Myanmar side and you pay a small fee to bring your car across that you pay on the Burmese side - in Mae Sot the Thai side charges 25 Baht no idea about Mae Sai. Just that the Thais don't want visa runners anymore - if you're on a multi entry visa or extension of stay with re-entry permit (or any single entry visa with re-entry permit) no problems.

The vast majority of "farang" are not interested in driving to Tachilek even if they could - they go mainly to renew their visas and as nice as the town is, if you've been there a few times it gets boring - besides, nearly every Thai goes just to the market and that's it. Just like Myawady doesn't do it for me anymore - Hpa-an is much nicer and the vast majority of tourists don't linger in Myawady anymore since the new mountain bypass road there has been completed.

Chinese tourists are NOT given any special privileges. For starters, they need a visa to enter Thailand. Most western nationalities don't. Secondly, for the most part they need to obtain a visa in advance, they can usually only apply for in China itself (Laos and Cambodia won't do Thai visas for Chinese unless they are resident there) or at one of the few overland checkpoints that issue them on arrival and then they are only valid for 15 days and all sorts of documents are required including proof of funds.

Very soon (if not already) Chinese campervans and motorcycles will be banned from Thai roads, while Chinese passenger cars will rightfully require advance notice before driving here. In the recent past (such as around CNY) you probably would have spotted some in Mae Sai (none of which would have been permitted to enter Tachilek though) but that will likely become a thing of the past very soon.

​Sure, the military government is interested in making lucrative deals with the Chinese but please don't make up nonsense like they can do things that "farang" can't. That is simply not true (and in any case, the Thais themselves and even many in the military government are NOT that happy about China and Chinese tourists). Also, as other posters have already stated, the VIP pass is still occasionally available. Might depend on who you're talking to.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Does that apply to anyone else?smile.png

It applies to anyone with pale skin, freckles, hairy arms, pointy noses. It probably doesn't apply to Chinese, tho I didn't ask about that this time. I did ask a few weeks ago, and the officer told me the restriction only targetted farang, and not Chinese traveling in groups IF and ONLY IF that group has a certified Thai guide. I would assume that criteria still holds, though it's like Donald Trump's opinions .....changing week to week.

Will the border be open on Chakri day, April 6? The day is a government holiday in Thailand. I think the border will be open, but I want to be sure before making plans.

Thanks for any help.

It should be open every day.

• 3 weeks later...

Does that apply to anyone else?smile.png

It applies to anyone with pale skin, freckles, hairy arms, pointy noses. It probably doesn't apply to Chinese, tho I didn't ask about that this time. I did ask a few weeks ago, and the officer told me the restriction only targetted farang, and not Chinese traveling in groups IF and ONLY IF that group has a certified Thai guide. I would assume that criteria still holds, though it's like Donald Trump's opinions .....changing week to week.

Will the border be open on Chakri day, April 6? The day is a government holiday in Thailand. I think the border will be open, but I want to be sure before making plans.

Thanks for any help.

It should be open every day.

That doesn't sound right but it does seem that because Chinese need a re-entry permit to come back to Thailand, this is simply a form of corruption that allows them to see the Burmese market without having to get a re-entry permit, stamp out of Thailand and go through that whole process. Maybe the immigration office in town doesn't want to process 20-30 people at once, causing a huge backlog and a lot more work.

Again, not many "farang" travel in groups except some middle aged westerners from Europe. Maybe they would be granted the same privileges. Individual travelers are different - I would find it hard to believe that a Thai officer would allow a rule to be based on race, meaning that Chinese foreigners can do something that white foreigners can't. I only believe it in the context of what I have pointed out above - tour groups are allowed this privilege, not individuals, irrespective of nationality.

However, what's the big deal anyway? So you have to stamp in and stamp out, you save 100 Baht and can still go to the other side (unless you're a visa runner of course). Chinese would find themselves stranded without a re-entry permit for Thailand or a Myanmar visa, which is required for travel to places like Mandalay and Yangon, from which there are flights out back to China.

Anyone with direct knowledge of the latest border situation, is welcome to post their findings. I'd like to know if VIP/day-trip visitors are allowed and if it's allowed for non-Asian farang. Some posters have insinuated (on this thread) that the border inconsistencies / flip-flops in policy are subjective to individuals (me, for example). I don't think so, because I've heard about other farang with border problems/inconsistencies. It is possible the Thai-side authorities have mug shots of people (in their office) of specific people to stifle, but I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there by bus from Chiang Mai today .The bus was stopped twice between Chiang Rai and MaeSai in both directions .They were not interested in looking at my Passport (white 63 year old Farang ).They searched many peoples bags but again not mine .

Very quiet at the border and i was over and back in record time in order to get a new 3 month stamp .(have an M,O, Visa ) .

Thanks for the info.

I often see them searching buses, usually ones coming from the border but occasionally on both sides of the road.

The wife always says that if you want to smuggle anything do it between 12 and 1pm when they stop for lunch. laugh.png

Thanks for the info.

I often see them searching buses, usually ones coming from the border but occasionally on both sides of the road.

The wife always says that if you want to smuggle anything do it between 12 and 1pm when they stop for lunch. laugh.png

I was wondering what the search was about on the way .(what could people smuggle into Myanmar ? ) ,but its more understandable on the return .( looking for Drugs ,and illegal people ).

Just a note on the Bus .I took the A class Green bus from Arcade to Maesai .Its not VIP but still comfortable enough .It makes some extra short stops to pick up mail etc ,and has no toilet on board .Its only B160 each way .Leaves Chiang Mai at 6 am ,returns from Maesai at 2 pm . (that was Saturday maybe different times weekday ?)

Edited by anto

Does anyone know the current status of VIP day-passes? I assume they're still not available for all farang, but avail for Asians in groups (with Thai guide), but I don't know. Thailand is becoming more of a police state, week by week. Concurrently, Burma is becoming more open and democratic.

Does anyone know the current status of VIP day-passes? I assume they're still not available for all farang, but avail for Asians in groups (with Thai guide), but I don't know. Thailand is becoming more of a police state, week by week. Concurrently, Burma is becoming more open and democratic.

From what people have posted, seems it can change from one day to the next so any answer given is pointless really.

• Like 2

Will27: "]From what people have posted, seems it can change from one day to the next so any answer given is pointless really."

Boomer responds: not necessarily pointless. Someone on this thread may have heard a policy statement from a Thai-side border official - which said something like, "VIP passes are now allowed."

Note: Policy on the Burmese side doesn't flip-flop. It's only the Thai side which is uncertain, week to week.

"Does anyone know the current status of VIP day-passes?" Why isn't it possible to leave it right there without all the other BS and putdowns? bah.gif

You see what you want to see. What are the put-downs? Are you the self-appointed Protector of Thai Sensitivities?

I'll let you in on a little secret, VF: there are more than a few farang members of T.Visa, in and around C.Rai who don't want to participate in the Chiang Rai forum because you're so quick to shoot other posters down. You don't think you do it, but that's how it manifests. You have some posters (who are likely your personal friends) who can do no wrong in your view. There are other posters, myself included, who you're quick and ever-ready to find fault with. VF, try taking an objective view of the hundreds of prior posts on the Chiang Rai forum. You, VF, won't see the pattern, but others with an objective perspective, will see it.

I am not protecting anyone's sensitivities but I am personally offended by what some write, time and time again. If someone writes something which is questionable at best, I think others have the right to question the veracity of such proclamations. People are free to hate Thailand as much as they want, I guess, but that doesn't mean their beliefs are objective or justified. If you could manage to post in a more civil, less derogatory manner I wouldn't feel the need to respond.

I am not protecting anyone's sensitivities but I am personally offended by what some write, time and time again. If someone writes something which is questionable at best, I think others have the right to question the veracity of such proclamations. People are free to hate Thailand as much as they want, I guess, but that doesn't mean their beliefs are objective or justified. If you could manage to post in a more civil, less derogatory manner I wouldn't feel the need to respond.

If an objective person looks at your multiple responses to posters like myself (and others) they will see a pattern. You won't see it, because you're subjective. I have opinions, you have opinions. The difference is, my opinions are directed to topics. Yours are often directed at posters like a thought-policeman.

I'm giving voice to the many folks (nobody knows the number) who simply won't post anymore on Chiang Rai forum because they don't like personal aspersions thrown their way.

I come back to post once in awhile, but I always know VF will be quick with a subjective put-down.

He's like a self-appointed shielder for all Thai people and for all facets of Thai culture. Do Thai people need him for that role? You tell me.

Edited by boomerangutang

If an objective person looks at your multiple responses to posters like myself (and others) they will see a pattern. You won't see it, because you're subjective. I have opinions, you have opinions. The difference is, my opinions are directed to topics. Yours are often directed at posters like a thought-policeman.

I'm giving voice to the many folks (nobody knows the number) who simply won't post anymore on Chiang Rai forum because they don't like personal aspersions thrown their way.

I come back to post once in awhile, but I always know VF will be quick with a subjective put-down.

He's like a self-appointed shielder for all Thai people and for all facets of Thai culture. Do Thai people need him for that role? You tell me.

You've been around in various guises as long as I have, probably longer, so you've seen the Chiang Rai forum collapse on many occasions.

In each case it was over disagreements that turned nasty, often without any help from villagefarang.

The very worst that happens here now, at least in the last couple of years, is commonplace in the other regional forums; I'm not saying that this is because it gets more tolerance from TV.com staff there but on occasions it seems like it.

Subsequently what would seem like a mild spat in the Chiang Mai forum is blown out of proportion here.

I'm not taking sides, I very rarely speak to any ThaiVisa members either personally or via the messaging system anymore.

• Like 1

An objective person looks at your multiple flaming posts about all things Thai and Chinese and your praise of all things Burmese and they will see a pattern of argumentative troll like posts. You won’t see it, because you are subjective. I have positive opinions and you have negative opinions.

Immigration is not the problem. Thais are not the problem. I am not the problem. The problem is people who try to game the system instead of following the rules and who live on the fringes of Thai society constantly complaining about everything they do.
Your style of posting is popular in the News Forum but do you really need to contribute that bitter vitriol to this forum?

We are blessed to have extremely nice, helpful immigration officials working here in Chiang Rai. The office is seldom crowded and the procedures are easy to follow. I am always suspicious when people cast aspersions on these very same individuals. I have witnessed what they have to put up with and I am amazed at how well they treat us, regardless.

I call things as I see them. I don't try to sugar-coat things. I don't feel a compulsion to try and shield Thai behaviors from view from farang or from Thai views. Because I'm not Thai, doesn't mean I can't see or mention unflattering things I observe about Thailand.

I can say a lot of glowing things about Thailand. But, for example, if I see trash strewn in public parks, I'll say there's trash strewn in public parks.

Since I have never heard you say anything remotely glowing about Thailand, I find your claim disingenuous. Why is it "calling things as I see them" when you say negative things but I am not afforded the same right to see things in a more positive light? I have the right to disagree with your very disagreeable view of the world. I am not sugar-coating anything. I am just calling things as I see them.tongue.png

Edited by villagefarang

Boomerangutang, I think if you'd just let this Tachilek day pass issue go, you'd probably be a happier person for it. You're probably not going to be able to get a day pass for Burma now - it's a shame, but there's not much you can do about it. Why let this exceedingly minor issue bother you so much? I just do not understand.

As for anyone who doesn't want to participate in a forum just because someone might disagree with them - the mind boggles.

I hadn't posted for weeks, and then a few days ago I wrote a sentence asking if anyone had any new info. Any new info?

As for anyone who doesn't want to participate in a forum just because someone might disagree with them - the mind boggles.

Maybe your mind is easily boggled. But if you read what I wrote, you'll see I'm referring to lots of folks who would ordinarily like post on the Chiang Rai forum, but who instead stay away because there's one poster who bugs them. I also usually stay away, but I know, as soon as I post after an absence, it's likely a particular poster will try to pick my post apart. I don't much mind. I've got plenty of other things I can be doing which are enjoyable. It's like a bit of pollution floating in a water tank. It affects the whole body of water.

I thought I would speak up for those who have left the forum. Appreciate it or don't appreciate it, your choice.

• Like 1

I was more referring to the fact that I'm not sure I've ever seen you post in the Chiang Rai forum except to bemoan the rules and regulations surrounding the Mae Sai day passes. Perhaps you have and I missed it - my apologies if so.

Also, I think the exception that some take to your posts is that they are so often coached in negative and derogatory language that others don't seem to use. 'Pollution floating in a water tank', 'Lance the pustule and release the phlegm' - does this not seem a bit much for a minor disagreement on an internet forum about obscure visa regulations?

Either way, have a nice day, and I hope (probably vainly, considering what we all know about bureaucracy in general) that Mae Sai will once and for all clarify their position on day passes for you soon. :)

• Like 1

I was more referring to the fact that I'm not sure I've ever seen you post in the Chiang Rai forum except to bemoan the rules and regulations surrounding the Mae Sai day passes. Perhaps you have and I missed it - my apologies if so.

Also, I think the exception that some take to your posts is that they are so often coached in negative and derogatory language that others don't seem to use. 'Pollution floating in a water tank', 'Lance the pustule and release the phlegm' - does this not seem a bit much for a minor disagreement on an internet forum about obscure visa regulations?

Either way, have a nice day, and I hope (probably vainly, considering what we all know about bureaucracy in general) that Mae Sai will once and for all clarify their position on day passes for you soon. smile.png

I have a lot of posts in the C.Rai forum which don't bemoan anything. Many relate to nature and the environment. You can look up other members' posts - there's a function which does that, if you so choose.

As for the pustule comment: that was aimed at me being the pustule - in reference to someone else speaking their mind, and thereby figuratively getting relief. Perhaps the analogy was too yukky. I'll try to tone it down in future postings.

• Like 2