Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

I had the same prompt service on Monday last. The officer was a little grumpy, probably as it was nearly lunch time, and he'd just been very busy.

I must say I think the 1900 baht for any extention is a bit steep. It is the same if one extends for 7, 28 days or much longer. It used to be 500 baht and was hiked up to 1900 in one step. Tough on us poor teachers living on baht! Part time was paid 300/hour 8 years ago and still 300, prices have doubled in that time, immigration charges quadrupled!

It's the first time it's ever happened to me. It's pure idleness that I'm not overseas getting a real visa, but the 1900B actually runs me through for another 4 months because I can do three visa runs when my visa extension expires.

I realise that it's a dodgy way of doing it, but if it's legal why not?

• 4 weeks later...
All the DVD shops were open, and the X-Ray machine was doing a roaring trade. All in all, much the same as it has always been...MM

I crossed over at the checkpoint 3 weeks ago, 70 DVD's in hand.

I am tempted to bring a few bottles of booze back next time as the x-ray

process seemed to be voluntary. most people, including me went straight past.

I saw the signs saying 1 open bottle allowed only, are they serious?

They've never checked Farangs or X-Rayed their bags once in all the times I've gone through there.

I've been seriously and obviously heavily laden with booze on a couple of occasions and they've just ignored me.

Having said that, there's always a first time for everything, like when they wanted to see everyone's money a while back.

the tiny imm office on the Tachilek side has an unfriendly guard in there. In a gruff voice he told me my $10 wouldn't suffice for visa fee, and insisted I could only pay Bt.500. I placed the $10 bill on the table and told him he's required to take it. He hesitated for a few moments, then grumblingly took it. A couple other minor glitches took place. He's probably came to Tachilek by way of being 'reassigned to an inactive post' sort of program for being naughty somewhere else - similar to Thailand's busy program of assigning scores of authorities to inactive posts every week.

As for the saga of the $20 ...... I took the original amount of Burmese khat (20,200) back to the same bank to see whether they'd change it back to dollars for me - and to see how much I'd get. I was interested to find the exchange rate back to dollarwas roughly the same as a month earlier: $17 and change.

I like the simple and cheap peanut flavored pastries available at tea shops. I've never seen a similar type of pastry in Thailand. Oh well, yet another reason for me to swing over to Tachilek once in awhile.

After reading this thread at the weekend I scurried around to get $30 for some freinds and I who went to the border on Tuesday.

Put the money on the table.....Immigration ignaramous just shook his head. I pointed to the sign...still shook his head...would not speak ...just looked at the money shaking his head....so that was a waste of time, had to give him 1,500 B...then he nodded, slowly and miserably :o

I really did not think it was worth really pissing him off for 150 Baht each, I suppose another day another Official and $10 is fine :D

am writing this from Kiang Dung, which is a town north of Tachilek, halfway to the Chinese border. It's also in the middle of Shan State, Burma's largest state - which lies NE of part of Burma.

If you plan to visit here, via crossing over from Mae Sai, tell the Tachilek authorities at the tiny office before they make your temporary 2 week visa. It needs to be stamped with the initials of the towns for traveling further north. If you space out telling them, then they won't change it later - not surprisingly, the authorities are unyielding. You'll also need 3 passport photos and a photocopy of your passport's main page. The cost is still either a pristene $10 or a dogeared Bt.500.

You can take a bus or a wite Toyota taxi to Kieng Dung. Taxi costs about double, but is a bit quicker and more comfortable. Bus takes 5 hours, though they'll tell you 4 at the station. The station is about 3 miles up to the right from the bridge. Same for the taxi take-off point.

I recommend HARRY'S guest house in Kieng Dung. It's run by a friendly and able gaggle of hill-tribers. Rooms start at BT.250 - breakfast included. They also do treks and motorcycle treks. There are hill tribes and hot springs nearby. The couple of dismal houses of ill-repute I found were unfriendly to farang, so I struck out there. You can rent a motorbike (but don't tell Burmese authorities, as it's a no-no) - plus there are internal border stops around most of the roads leading in and out of the town, but they're quite casual, and I simply rode through each one I came to - with a wave and a smile.

Money used: Thai baht and Burmese kyat (they pronounce it jyet: 1,100 to 1,200 to the dollar) and US dollars.

If you go, let us know what you find.

An excellent and informative post brahmburgers, I've been looking for this type of information for years.

What was the taxi fare?

When you say It needs to be stamped with the initials of the towns for traveling further north does that mean the names of all the towns you will be passing through on the way to Kiang Dung/Keng Tung?

Or only your final destination? What if you wanted to go on to Tuanggyi?

An excellent and informative post brahmburgers, I've been looking for this type of information for years.

What was the taxi fare?

When you say It needs to be stamped with the initials of the towns for traveling further north does that mean the names of all the towns you will be passing through on the way to Kiang Dung/Keng Tung?

Or only your final destination? What if you wanted to go on to Tuanggyi?

The taxi fare to return to Tachilek is 600 to 700 baht. The rate to come here may be a bit more, but less than Bt1,000. I took the bus coming here, and it was Bt.350 (though the gov't tourist bureau office next to the border entry told me Bt.500, from them, was the cheapest. Take earplugs if you take the bus: non-stop loud videos for the 1str half, and a Chinese shoot-em-up movie for the 2nd half of the drive.

When traveling in Burma (or Laos or Cambodia) be prepared to use your smile muscles, as it never fails to get a smile in response - from all ages.

For Tachilek, you don't need any special visa stamps. For 2 Burmese mojor towns north of Tachilek, in Shan State, you can get the stamp for the northernmost one (I think it's Mengla, on the Chinese border) - and that will suffice for both.

I heard that Mengla uses Chinese money, not baht nor US dollars.

For Taungyii, you need to get a proper visa from Myanmar embassy in Bkk or equivelent. Can't get it from Tachilek. Indeed, there used to be flights available for farang from Tachilek to other parts of Burma, but recently they stopped them for farang. - or maybe they stopped flights altogether because of fuel costs. so, to get to Taunggyii, you might do well to take a flight from Chiang Mai to Mandalay, and go from there.

Also, at Chien Dung, you need to make a quick stop at their little immigration office - upon arrival. You leave your cardboard Burmese 'passport' with them - and they give you a piece of paper with some scribbles. It's a brand new protocol - yet another way the paranoid Burmese gov't tries to further restrict things. When you leave town, you go back to the office and get your little piece of cardboard, a.k.a. passport.

A straight forward Tachilek run today. The Mrs insisted on driving so I sat back and enjoyed the scenery.

The media that shall not be mentioned is down to 35B.

First time I've been on a weekend that I can recall. Many, many Thais and very few Farangs.

The world's smallest monk is being lead around begging by his mother. :o

Edited by sceadugenga

• 4 weeks later...

Another painless run to the border, heavy traffic going... being a Saturday I suppose, but was through immigration and back out very quickly.

They have funny little round camera thingies on the counter now which appear to have been set up by someone around one meter tall. I had to practically get on my knees before my handsome features appeared on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Another border crossing. I like Tachilek, but on both sides of the border, the restaurants still use copious amounts of MSG. I tell the waiter(s) 'mai ow pom churot' (I don't want MSG) - and they appear to understand - but I still get zapped. I know, because the symptoms (head-aches, etc) are evident soon after eating.

I'm planning to pack a lunch from now on. A loaf of real bread (bought in C.Rai, because no where else closer than C.Mai knows how to bake bread) - and some fresh ingredients to make a sandwich.

P.s. if any folks from the border towns come to visit me at my pad in C.Rai, I promise to not poison their meals.

Another border crossing. I like Tachilek, but on both sides of the border, the restaurants still use copious amounts of MSG. I tell the waiter(s) 'mai ow pom churot' (I don't want MSG) - and they appear to understand - but I still get zapped. I know, because the symptoms (head-aches, etc) are evident soon after eating.

I'm planning to pack a lunch from now on. A loaf of real bread (bought in C.Rai, because no where else closer than C.Mai knows how to bake bread) - and some fresh ingredients to make a sandwich.

P.s. if any folks from the border towns come to visit me at my pad in C.Rai, I promise to not poison their meals.

Where's the best place to buy good bread in CR?

You can get it out at Don's Cafe at Doi Hang if you order it the day before, or the Tourist Inn Guest House at Jed Yod Road bakes every day. It comes out of the oven about 11am.

Bread is very much a personal taste and the products I mention tend to be of a heavier nature. (German style?)

There's a place opposite the bus station that is a bakery/cafe that does a reasonable loaf but it tends to be a little sweet for me.

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps we should have a 'good bread' forum.

Other places for decent quality bread: the 'Fashion' coffee shop, across from Siam Comm. Bank and across from the big christian church near the main traffic light.

Tourist Inn (already mentioned) has several types - their small 35 baht loaf is good, their larger 75 baht loaf is very good - probably the best in town, though the owners aren't the cheeriest couple.

Banchivitmai, the bakery facing the south side of the bus station, has good bread. Their 'honey' loaf is worth its price. I've heard some of their workers get sent to Vientiane for a short course in how to bake bread and pastries. Too bad Thailand has no tradition with bread. Even Thai pastries leave a lot to be desired, unless you just like pretty colored variations of white sugar.

Plus, in any Thai town, you can find all types of fruits for sale - but how often can you find a natural fruit drink? quite rare. Why don't some places invest in a simple manual orange squeezer (with lever) - I'm sure they could find many customers would be happy to buy fresh squeezed orange juice. ....ok, not nearly as many customers as those who guzzle fizzy sugar-laden artificially-colored pop juice, but no harm in offering healthy drinks - as opposed to the tooth decaying, fat-layering soda pop that's so prevalent. If diabetes is on the rise in Thailand, I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes they still take dollars, which is a saving on the 500B at the moment.

I haven't personally used them for a while but still see the occasional complaint here about them being refused for being in "bad" condition.

hi just wondering how much it costs for the 15 days visa extension?do thai nationals require a visa to enter burma at mae sai for the day?thanks.

Went up to Mong La in early December.

Here's some random tips.

$10 at the border accepted without question.

If you want to go beyond Tachileik, don't forget to get the right permit at the tourist office next to the bridge. You'll need a copy of your passport, 3 photos and 50 Baht 'service charge'. Don't be a divvy like me and go to the bus station without your permit. You won't leave Tachileik.

Paid 600 Baht for a share taxi to Chieng Tung. Another traveller I met said he paid 500 Baht. The bus is 350 Baht apparently.

Stayed at Noi Yee. Very cheap. $5 per night. Extremely noisy owl frequents that area. Apart from the border fee and the guest house, nobody wanted US Dollars in Chieng Tung. It's Baht or Kyat. You can change money at good rates in the market. You'll need to head to the centre of the market and find the dudes with cardboard boxes full of notes. Note the rates differ between the exchangers so know the rates before you go down there. Mid-morning is best.

Amazing deforestation all the way from Tachileik to Mong La. Contrast with Thailand which has some forest protection.

Mong La is China. Chinese is spoken. Only Yuan is accepted. You should change some money to Yuan before you go in Chieng Tung market. On the way you'll have to pay 36 Yuan at a Wa checkpoint.

The Chinese border post is a proper affair on the Chinese side. The Burmese side has a couple of sleepy guys just waving you through. Foreigners cannot cross into China here without special permission. The Chinese border town is Daluo. All the motorbike taxis will shout at you, "Daluo" meaning "To the border?"

Mong La is pretty vulgar in that uniquely Chinese way. If you're familiar with mainlanders you'll know what I mean.

One strange thing here is the hotels all required a large deposit which was returned on inspection of the room at check-out. The Chinese must trash the hotels or more likely burn them as smoking is mandatory for all Chinese men, it seems.

The cost of the share taxi to Mong La from Chieng Tung is a steep 15,000 Kyat each way. Or you can stand up in the back of a lorry for 5,000 Kyat.

Back to Noi Yee in Chieng Tung. BTW, speaking Thai in Chieng Tung works well with many of the natives. Tried to hire a bike from Harry's but she would only rent to people staying there.

You should visit the pagoda north-west of Chieng Tung. You can see it up on the mountainside. It's a half hour on a bike to the Palaung village and then a 3-hour walk up.

Also visit the hot springs. It's about 5 kms along the road to Taunggyi and then turn right at the bridge. All your motorbike taxi drivers know it. It's the only place I found ABC Stout on sale. At 50 Baht a can. But worth it.

Caught the bus back to Tachileik. 350 Baht. Motorbike taxi 4 kms or so to the border 40 Baht.

Got my bags scanned coming back.

Thank you indeed for an excellent and informative post.

I was in Mae Sai/Tachilek on Saturday and found both towns packed with holidaying/shopping Thais. Large line ups at the Thai border pass check points.

Went through fairly quickly via the normal immigration gates.

Yes they still take dollars, which is a saving on the 500B at the moment.

I haven't personally used them for a while but still see the occasional complaint here about them being refused for being in "bad" condition.

hi just wondering how much it costs for the 15 days visa extension?do thai nationals require a visa to enter burma at mae sai for the day?thanks.

There is no charge by Thai immigration for the visa extension.

Thai nationals can receive a border pass from immigration which is accepted by the Burmese for a day trip.

There's a Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai flight?

Is that that airline with the Cessna? I forget the name now.

There's an airport taxi service that will go anywhere you point it but I'm not sure of the cost of the Mae Sai trip/return.

Your other alternative is a trip into the town and get the bus, allow about two hours each way including the time you spend in immigration.

I think this is the Airport information service number. 0-5379-8000

Edited by sceadugenga

Yep, it is indeed the tiny little airline, SGA, which is partially (or wholly?) owned by Nok Air.

I thought it might be fun to try it once and see how it goes.

Thank you very much for the info scead, I think I will try the airport taxi service at least one way, if the price is not far too steep that is...

Going into town to catch the bus defeats the purpose of as quick a visa run as possible to a certain degree.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance M_S, I seem to recall the taxi cost as not being unreasonable to my village which is about 30km from the airport heading back towards Chiang Mai. The figure of about 500B comes to mind. (A list of prices to various destinations is prominently displayed, I haven't used the service personally).

You're on the right side of town to go to Mae Sai, with about a 10km start than if you leave from the city.

The taxi booking station is opposite the arrivals gate and to your left as you come out.

No worries scea. Thank you for the help offered. :o

As it turns out, the airport taxi stand wanted 800 baht to go to Mae Sai. I thought that was at least 200 baht too much for me alone, so I took a taxi into town instead, at 300, and then a bus (non-air, rather hard seats) at 40 baht to the border. The waiting time between the taxi and the bus leaving the station was not more than 15 minutes.

The red songthaews from Mae Sai bus station to the border are 15 baht one way. It's fully possible to walk too for those so inclined, not sure but think it would take around 20 minutes.

At the border, entry into Tachilek is still 10 USD or 500 baht - if you plan to use dollars, make sure they are in good condition as this was the second time I saw the border officials refuse a torn bill.

Walking back into Thailand, there are now pens available at the tables where you fill out your arrival card, which is nice and probably speeds things up a bit. If Immigration could also put bundles of arrival cards on the tables in advance, instead of people having to walk up to the counter and ask for them, that would be even better.

The roasted chestnuts still taste great, and are 90 baht per kilo - a standard size cup of chestnuts is 20 baht.

From Mae Sai back to Chiang Rai, I caught yet another bus (air conditioned) at 43 baht. It left Mae Sai bus station at 2 PM. For the tuk-tuk from Chiang Rai bus station to the airport I paid 150 baht. I did not haggle so it is quite possible you could get it for even less that that.

The flight with SGA airlines was very pleasant and had there only been a slightly cheaper and more convenient transport option from CR airport to the Mae Sai border, I would recommend this to anyone from Chiang Mai doing a visa run. (transportation from CR airport to Mae Sai could be a business opportunity for somebody?)

As it is now, flying is still more pleasant than going by bus all the way from Chiang Mai, but not quite worth the extra money since you are still looking at either at least 1200 baht if you take a taxi back and forth to the border, or alternatively a relatively long time on the bus CR-Mae Sai-CR.

Finally, for those who have missed it, people from countries allowed to enter Thailand on visa exemption stamps, and who used to get 30 days on a border run, now only get 15 if the border is crossed by land. Flying out of the country and back still gives you 30 days.

Thanks for the report M_S, the flight sounds like fun, I flew in some of those little planes in the Philippines and the view was spectacular.

Regarding the immigration cards, I always have spares and fill one out at home before leaving. There's nothing quite like the feeling of walking past a tour group of a dozen people busily filling out their cards and beating them to the window!

It even beats eating the chestnuts.

Anyway, the experienced traveler always carries his own pen. :o

...and also an ultrasonic microphone in case of flying batmonkeys. Anyhow, I´m a little confused here about the time schedule since it seems to be the point that going to and back from mae sai should be as fast as possible. Does this include check-in times at the airport and such or just active traveling time?

I checked the airline's schedule Gos, and it's quite possible to do a trip to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai in a day using it.

Flights

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sunday.

Arrive Chiang Rai, 08.55

Leave Chiang Rai, 17.35. (That's 5.35 in the afternoon for the non military minded).

SGA