Fresh Veggies In Bangkok...

webworldly

I think the nearest 'open market' is Klong Taeuy on Rama 4. Opens for them loading stuff from midnight till dawn and they start selling for retail from 5 til noon but you better get it there as early before all fresh and good stuff are sold out.

Soi 10 ends at the Tobacco Monopoly Gate. You can walk or bike thru and the road will take you to Rama 4, near the Klong Toey Market.

Also, there is a small Village Market at the other end of the Tobacco Monopoly. You may find what you are looking for there. Closes after lunch.

Thank you everybody!! I think I'm all set now based on your tips.

Main reason is I eat a lot (crazy amount actually) of Marat (bitter gourd...but the small dark green ones) and same for mushrooms. Most of the time at Tops, finding Marat is hit or miss....and I don't feel good about throwing away so much of the plastic packaging they put it in....I like buying from the fresh market because I can just stuff a big bag full of it.

As for mushrooms.....at Tops and other stores they are more expensive....and they don't have the same kind that the market has.....which are a sort of "button mushroom" with a unique shape and taste. (That said....Shitake still taste the best and have the most nutrients.....but I only find those at grocery stores).

Sorry for the long explanation....lol!! Thank you again for your help.

CHEERS!

D