Jazz Venues In Bangkok

chavy

Maybe there's another thread for this subject but I haven't found it so i'll ask the question,

Where in Bangkok are the Jazz venues (bars, clubs etc)? Can anyone recommend where to go for a good night out?

Thanks Chavy.

Brown Sugar near Ratchadamri BTS and Saxophone near Victory Monument are two venues where good times can be had :o

There's also an excellent little blues bar near Kao Sahn, though I can't for the life of me remember its name right now...

Brown Sugar near Ratchadamri BTS and Saxophone near Victory Monument are two venues where good times can be had :o

There's also an excellent little blues bar near Kao Sahn, though I can't for the life of me remember its name right now...

Cheers Florin, would these all be live music venues ?

I think it's Ad Here 13 or something like that. It's by Sam Sen Soi 2, just at the foot of the bridge, on the right as you head toward KSR. Good music, cramped but fun. The food is ok, the sidewalk diner across the street is good too.

Saxophone is pretty good, but the band tends to get lazy and plays the same old favorites over and over (if you go often enough to notice). Oh, the food is pretty atrocious the one time that I tried it. Everyone in my party got sick.

Noriega on Silom Soi 4 (at the end of the soi) is decent, they get bands in once or twice a week. Check their schedule.

Heard Tokyo Joe is pretty good (Suk 26). There's a live music thread here somewhere with all the listings.

Yep, Ad Here it is! I always remember it's some kind of wordplay, but the name keeps on slipping...and yes, chavy, these are live music venues.

As for Saxophone, I ate there a few times and didn't have any problems...maybe they had an off night :o

I think it's Ad Here 13 or something like that. It's by Sam Sen Soi 2, just at the foot of the bridge, on the right as you head toward KSR. Good music, cramped but fun. The food is ok, the sidewalk diner across the street is good too.

Saxophone is pretty good, but the band tends to get lazy and plays the same old favorites over and over (if you go often enough to notice). Oh, the food is pretty atrocious the one time that I tried it. Everyone in my party got sick.

Noriega on Silom Soi 4 (at the end of the soi) is decent, they get bands in once or twice a week. Check their schedule.

Heard Tokyo Joe is pretty good (Suk 26). There's a live music thread here somewhere with all the listings.

Just to clarify Macx, the place towards KSR is called something like "Ad here 13"? Is this the "Gulivers" end or the Burger King end?

Thanks.

I'd heard some good reports as well about Tokyojoes. I'm gonna give that a whirl next time in BKK. :D

The Bamboo Bar at the Oriental Hotel has a great house band with featured female guest singers. The Sheraton on Sukhumvit used to have Eldi Young, and his band, a Bangkok jazz institution, but he died recently. I haven't been there recently to check it out.

Just to clarify Macx, the place towards KSR is called something like "Ad here 13"? Is this the "Gulivers" end or the Burger King end?

Thanks.

I'd heard some good reports as well about Tokyojoes. I'm gonna give that a whirl next time in BKK. :o

At "Gullivers" end. It can get pretty rockin in there. Not too far to KSR. I've walked the distance.

hi -

a couple of more obscure (less farangy) spots to try:

Sky Train jazz club - on the corner of soi rangnam across from the movie complex. nice rooftop view, mellow place to hang out. music can be hit or miss. good food.

Phaya Thai Jazz - at the Phaya thai bts stop. most of the jazz of the place is to be found in the name but it is still a fun place to hear some locals playing live and to eat well.

enjoy~~~

hi -

a couple of more obscure (less farangy) spots to try:

Sky Train jazz club - on the corner of soi rangnam across from the movie complex. nice rooftop view, mellow place to hang out. music can be hit or miss. good food.

Phaya Thai Jazz - at the Phaya thai bts stop. most of the jazz of the place is to be found in the name but it is still a fun place to hear some locals playing live and to eat well.

enjoy~~~

Thanks! I've seen Phaya Thai from the station and have wondered about it. Will definitely try.

What's the best time to go to Sky Train Jazz Club? Which BTS station is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ad Here the 13th is one of my favourite spots in Bangkok. To get there: If you're standing at the bottom of Khao San Road (I have no idea where Burger King and/or Gullivers are but it's the end where the Wat is) on Chakrabonse Road and you turn right, then after a block you cross a big road, Phra Sumen, then the bridge over the khlong, that's the start of Samsen Road and Ad Here the 13th is on the left side of the street immediately after the bridge. Georgia and her blues band perform there nightly. I'll be there in a few weeks. (Yay!!)

And then there's Tokyo Joes which has been newly re-established on Suk Soi 26 opposite the Tara Hotel, the home venue of the Soi Dog Blues Band.

Edited by billp