Marriage Visa Against Tourist Visa

Good mate is intending to marry his Thai GF in the UK and is unsure which is the best visa for his GF to get.

She has stayed in the UK previously so a new tourist visa should be no problem, but the twist comes when she starts talking to other friends, my wife included, who tell her it is better to get another tourist visa and then get married when she is there, but apparently this changed about a year ago, by the way they have no intention of settling in the UK.

My mate tells me he has enquired with the registrar in the Uk and was told he would require some sort of reference in her pasport to allow the marrage to go ahead.

Can anyone enlighten

The registrar can probably tell your friend what is needed.

If he was to get married here the Thai gov't requires something from your embassy saying you are eligible to get married (not currently already married). It might be something like that.

That's all changed again, Crossy. The Border and Immigration Agency was given a bit of a clogging by the High Court and those in the UK as visitors may apply to the BIA for a certificate of approval to marry, whereas previously no such application would be entertained.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/...ivilpartnership

That said, if the person considering marriage in the UK is currently overseas, they are best advised to get a marriage visit visa rather than go through the palaver of applying for a certificate of approval once in the UK.

Scouse.

Hi, my Mrs came over to the UK this summer on a 'visit for marriage' visa, basically a 6 month visit visa which allowed her to get married. I'm from Kent so when we got back we had to go for an interview at the council headquarters and it was all good, we got married in a registry office. I live in Thailand so we have no intentions on living in the UK at this time either.

Good luck

Mr and Mrs Bigjimmy