Custom Fit Clubs

JAS21

Hi Guys

Anybody have experience with supplier of custom fit clubs , not really bothered about a named brand unless a speedy turnaround.

They are for my wife, she last had some made in the UK three + years ago and has improved somewhat since then...frequently shoots less than me now..although I tell her she 'only plays half the course' that goes down well!

Any input/experience greatly appreciated. thanks

To custom fit properly you need to be on a driving range so you can see the ball flight. Things such as length of club and grip size can be done in a store as they wont ever change,Well hopefully anyway as they are related to finger tip to floor measurements and height. Shaft flex is determined by club head speed and shot shape.

I dont know where you would find a range with fitting facilities and a competent club fitter.The days of just buying ladies flex and length, just because she is a she , have thankfully gone.

Hi Guys

Anybody have experience with supplier of custom fit clubs , not really bothered about a named brand unless a speedy turnaround.

They are for my wife, she last had some made in the UK three + years ago and has improved somewhat since then...frequently shoots less than me now..although I tell her she 'only plays half the course' that goes down well!

www.wildinggolf.com location sukhumvit soi 19/Asoke soi 2 or 3??

To custom fit properly you need to be on a driving range so you can see the ball flight. Things such as length of club and grip size can be done in a store as they wont ever change,Well hopefully anyway as they are related to finger tip to floor measurements and height. Shaft flex is determined by club head speed and shot shape.

I dont know where you would find a range with fitting facilities and a competent club fitter.The days of just buying ladies flex and length, just because she is a she , have thankfully gone.

Thanks..I haven't found anywhere either, although have managed to borrow a couple demo drivers. Surprisingly/or not haven't managed to find anything straighter or longer than the RAM driver which she has now which cost £20 in the UK. Actually its a mans driver with an R-flex, but it quite a way down the R range.

You are quite right about "she is a she". Anyway have just got her info back from the UK..the guy did a good job when he made her clubs.. So now have a start. .

Sue: 37.5" long 5 iron - 43.5" long driver - swing speed 5 iron 57mph - driver 67mph. Swingweight C7 irons C9 driver - Lady grip.

So will find somewhere to check if swing speed is still the same. She hopes that the gym has changed it........

Thanks..I haven't found anywhere either, although have managed to borrow a couple demo drivers. Surprisingly/or not haven't managed to find anything straighter or longer than the RAM driver which she has now which cost £20 in the UK. Actually its a mans driver with an R-flex, but it quite a way down the R range.

You are quite right about "she is a she". Anyway have just got her info back from the UK..the guy did a good job when he made her clubs.. So now have a start. .

Sue: 37.5" long 5 iron - 43.5" long driver - swing speed 5 iron 57mph - driver 67mph. Swingweight C7 irons C9 driver - Lady grip.

So will find somewhere to check if swing speed is still the same. She hopes that the gym has changed it........

Cool, but remember swing speed is not the same as clubhead speed. E.G- Ernie Els has a slow swing speed but extremly high clubhead speed.Sounds like it might be worth your good lady trying a senior flex shaft at that club head speed. One problem is that not all regular flexes are the same from one manufacturer to the other, so you may want firm with one company and stiff with another....you need to be on a range to see which is best for ball flight

Thanks

We have sorted a driver now..tested them at Sports city..you can try just about anything there except Taylor Made..you are right a senior flex seemed about right. In the end though she preferred the Kasco (D Max 460) japan spec..fortunately at a hugh discount so my pocket is not as empty as it could have been.

We have just got back from Muang Thong Tani..sports equipment show..some great golf bargins and some not! they have a simulator..bit of a toy but interesting.

Callaway are selling their 20000 baht driver for 5900 baht....somebody has been making a profit

Thanks

We have sorted a driver now..tested them at Sports city..you can try just about anything there except Taylor Made..you are right a senior flex seemed about right. In the end though she preferred the Kasco (D Max 460) japan spec..fortunately at a hugh discount so my pocket is not as empty as it could have been.

We have just got back from Muang Thong Tani..sports equipment show..some great golf bargins and some not! they have a simulator..bit of a toy but interesting.

Callaway are selling their 20000 baht driver for 5900 baht....somebody has been making a profit

Well done mate.I always rated Kasko kit but it never sold that well in the uk.One problem was that many years ago they were making budget golf equipment so they got stuck with that image.They tried hiking the price right up when they introduced the good stuff but maybe went too high. Callaway got away with charging big bucks for cheap quality equipment for years.Not so now as consumers become more knowledgable and wont pay $300 for a club with a $2 shaft in it. you cant go wrong with what you got at that price. Good buy id say

Thanks

Well done mate.I always rated Kasko kit but it never sold that well in the uk.One problem was that many years ago they were making budget golf equipment so they got stuck with that image.They tried hiking the price right up when they introduced the good stuff but maybe went too high. Callaway got away with charging big bucks for cheap quality equipment for years.Not so now as consumers become more knowledgable and wont pay $300 for a club with a $2 shaft in it. you cant go wrong with what you got at that price. Good buy id say

She played today and loves the Kasko.

I bought some Callaway X20s with graphite ® shafts. (normal model not tour).they went well on the simulator. On the course today they were great...shot my best ever score even though I put a ball into the water!...they also seemed a few yards longer that the Apex Edge I normally use. They had about 10-15 sets there..all used by Pros but probably only once..some of my clubs still had the film on the handles...33800 Baht including a bag. They are in the NWW mall for 45000 Baht. new.

I am well pleased, they are so easy to use and the ball flight is high. Callaway, I understand,(according to reviews) have now binned their RCH shafts and are fitting quality ones. No more heads flying off...I hope.

Thanks

She played today and loves the Kasko.

I bought some Callaway X20s with graphite ® shafts. (normal model not tour).they went well on the simulator. On the course today they were great...shot my best ever score even though I put a ball into the water!...they also seemed a few yards longer that the Apex Edge I normally use. They had about 10-15 sets there..all used by Pros but probably only once..some of my clubs still had the film on the handles...33800 Baht including a bag. They are in the NWW mall for 45000 Baht. new.

I am well pleased, they are so easy to use and the ball flight is high. Callaway, I understand,(according to reviews) have now binned their RCH shafts and are fitting quality ones. No more heads flying off...I hope.

there is not a pro golfer in the world that would use these....sorry but they are not suited to that standard of golfer.....in the same respect that an average amateur would not play well with pure blades fitted with x100 shafts....its a sales pitch if they telling you that

there is not a pro golfer in the world that would use these....sorry but they are not suited to that standard of golfer.....in the same respect that an average amateur would not play well with pure blades fitted with x100 shafts....its a sales pitch if they telling you that

You are quite correct..the ball only seems to go straight no matter how its hit so a pro golfer wouldn’t like them. The flight is high and the ball seems to stop very quickly..though maybe that’s because of all the rain.

Another lowest ever score today..hopefully I’ll be called a bandit next week!!! For me money well spent.

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys

Unless you have an experienced club fitter with the correct equipment, you will be shooting blanks. Most makers will have you submit to them various lengths and distances, and some with a range will look at the shape of your shots, they all have their gimmicks. But, to find out what YOUR clubs should be for YOUR swing you need several things, among them: a True Temper Shaft Lab, this device measures YOUR swing as far as how you bend the club, where the kick point is and gives recommendations as to what shaft characteristics are right for YOUR swing. There are not many of these around but they are set up to measure 8000 points on the shaft to tell what is going on in YOUR swing. You get a graph of what is happening in YOUR swing and everyone is different although YOUR swing may be similar to others. This is step one.

You then then need to test various shafts, heads, grips and balls to optimize YOUR game. You need to find what shaft and head gives you the best club head speed, ball speed, spin rate, side-spin rate, loft, lie, dispersion, etc.

It is not a process that you can do over the phone, at a regular golf range, or on a form.

Mine took almost 3 hours, I got all my clubs reshafted and I now have a set matched to MY swing, and I am more accurate (avg. 3 yards from center on drives), less with irons, added avg. 27 yards off the tee and 10+ yards on irons.

And, and, the clubs feel great.

If you want to learn about club fitting do a search for D'Lance Golf in Denver and go to their site, they do a good job of explaining what a true club fitting is.

As you can tell, I am very happy with what they did for me.

TK :o

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys

Unless you have an experienced club fitter with the correct equipment, you will be shooting blanks. Most makers will have you submit to them various lengths and distances, and some with a range will look at the shape of your shots, they all have their gimmicks. But, to find out what YOUR clubs should be for YOUR swing you need several things, among them: a True Temper Shaft Lab, this device measures YOUR swing as far as how you bend the club, where the kick point is and gives recommendations as to what shaft characteristics are right for YOUR swing. There are not many of these around but they are set up to measure 8000 points on the shaft to tell what is going on in YOUR swing. You get a graph of what is happening in YOUR swing and everyone is different although YOUR swing may be similar to others. This is step one.

You then then need to test various shafts, heads, grips and balls to optimize YOUR game. You need to find what shaft and head gives you the best club head speed, ball speed, spin rate, side-spin rate, loft, lie, dispersion, etc.

It is not a process that you can do over the phone, at a regular golf range, or on a form.

Mine took almost 3 hours, I got all my clubs reshafted and I now have a set matched to MY swing, and I am more accurate (avg. 3 yards from center on drives), less with irons, added avg. 27 yards off the tee and 10+ yards on irons.

And, and, the clubs feel great.

If you want to learn about club fitting do a search for D'Lance Golf in Denver and go to their site, they do a good job of explaining what a true club fitting is.

As you can tell, I am very happy with what they did for me.

TK :o

Fascinating info, re getting 'custom made clubs'; but is it possible to get this advice/service in Thailand? Does anybody know anymore on this subject, as I am sure that thousands of golfers here in LOS would like more info!