Buriram Big C

TBWG

I have no idea why I decided to go to BIG C on the first day. The parking lots are large but we had to park on the street after 2 drive byes on the parking lots.

Wall to wall people, we were there around 4 PM and it was really full of people all with nearly full carts (buggy or what ever u chose to call the push things). Every one was polite no yelling or pushing. Every one was just looking and buying.

I do believe the store to be larger then the Serin Big C. I did notice several banks have an office in the building.

Check out was quick and the girls looked well trained, three at each check out one taking items from the cart, one ringing up the price and a third bagging.

On the way home I noticed the Macro lot was full and LITTLE T even had a full lot.

I did enjoy my adventure to the new Big C. Reminded me of Sept 15 at Wall mart in Eastern Kentucky, Thats the day u can start putting items on away for Christmas, except the customers here are REALLY much nicer. :o

I have no idea why I decided to go to BIG C on the first day. The parking lots are large but we had to park on the street after 2 drive byes on the parking lots.

Wall to wall people, we were there around 4 PM and it was really full of people all with nearly full carts (buggy or what ever u chose to call the push things). Every one was polite no yelling or pushing. Every one was just looking and buying.

I do believe the store to be larger then the Serin Big C. I did notice several banks have an office in the building.

Check out was quick and the girls looked well trained, three at each check out one taking items from the cart, one ringing up the price and a third bagging.

On the way home I noticed the Macro lot was full and LITTLE T even had a full lot.

I did enjoy my adventure to the new Big C. Reminded me of Sept 15 at Wall mart in Eastern Kentucky, Thats the day u can start putting items on away for Christmas, except the customers here are REALLY much nicer. :o

Thanks RT for that, sounds positive, will give it a go in a week or so when it quietens down.

TBWG :D

Hi

Well how did the opening extravaganza go, nobody killed in the rush?

Reports welcomed

TBWG :o

My neighbour went up despite my warnings! - he tried to drive in 3 times and kept getting routed round to the exit - via the long way - even though there were spare places to park they must have been "reserved" - he gave up and went to Makro instead !!

Makro (in Buriram) is their most modern store to date and well organised (at the moment!) & do have an enormous and well organised variety of spices (for Curry Buffs!!) Also in-store bakery tasty wholemeal bread at 18 baht a loaf + french sticks. No more Surin Makro for me!!

Whilst in town check out the Red Ribbon Bakery - run by Kiwi Chris and his wife - they do great pies - meat, veg and sweet ones - they are directly across the road from the Siam Commercial Bank (purple sign)

Hi

Well how did the opening extravaganza go, nobody killed in the rush?

Reports welcomed

TBWG :o

My neighbour went up despite my warnings! - he tried to drive in 3 times and kept getting routed round to the exit - via the long way - even though there were spare places to park they must have been "reserved" - he gave up and went to Makro instead !!

Makro (in Buriram) is their most modern store to date and well organised (at the moment!) & do have an enormous and well organised variety of spices (for Curry Buffs!!) Also in-store bakery tasty wholemeal bread at 18 baht a loaf + french sticks. No more Surin Makro for me!!

Whilst in town check out the Red Ribbon Bakery - run by Kiwi Chris and his wife - they do great pies - meat, veg and sweet ones - they are directly across the road from the Siam Commercial Bank (purple sign)

Yes MAKRO Buriram is there most modern and very good choices

Red Ribbon very nice apple pies as well as apple and blueberry

Visited this morning for the first time. Slightly disappointed. 10.15am and no fresh bread., except for the French sticks, which looked old but were as hard as a rock. Enquired and told another half hour. Went into the fast food area - excellent, except that there were no glasses for the free water. Asked the staff twice to no avail.By 10.30 they were pouring in by the truckload - whole extended families. Finished my Buriram trip in Makro. Just a handful of people -nice shopping conditions. Will wait until schools re-open before going again.

We called in to the Big C in Buri Ram this morning and did some shopping. Excellent facility with every conceivable service but where on earth do all those people come from and where did they shop previously? Tweekit was always busy but never like this. Considering it is a weekday and kids at school what will it be like at the weekend. It was certainly a good experience and you can buy pretty much anything you want in Big C or the shopping complex. One thing missing is good cheese.

This morning Makro was just the opposite. Probably about 100 cars parked there and their store is spacious and easy to use AND they have a better range of cheese. You can buy New Zealand and Aussie cheese in a 2kg pack.

Whilst it makes life a little easier being able to shop like this I wonder what the impact will be on the small traditional businesses in town. Because we are farmers my wifes comment was a very valid one I thought. "Who will work on the farms in the future?"

Obviously these two complexes are employing hundreds of young people and of course they prefer to be in the air conditioned centre, dress nicely and be seen to be pretty "cool" instead of working out in the hot sun planting or cutting rice. I think we will see a marked escalation in mechanisation of farming in this area over the next few years.

By the way good to meet you Ron T and thanks for your hospitality Macb

Considering it is a weekday and kids at school what will it be like at the weekend.

Actually most schools are still on holiday at present in Buriram, so as Nick says - in a few weeks time, weekday shopping will be easier.

At the moment its the biggest pull in Buriram Province - Big C and Makro both opened within a month so that's why you have overloaded pick-ups heading into town from every direction, as many people from even as close as 20km's to the centre of town have never ever seen, apart from on the soap operas! shopping facilities like this.

Just Natural Curiosity

Of course it hits the traditional Chinese Thai Businesses but they have had it good for so long now, and they do still have all the rice business left to pay the bills, Merc's, golf fees etc!!

As far as who will work the farms, I expect it will be all the people made redundant when big Tweeket closes. Cant see that lasting. Good riddance to a badly run store as far as i am concerned.

Tweeter's may close but I will miss the free gifts for shopping at the store. For the last couple of months every time I go for my free gifts the bag keeps getting fuller. Always a bonus to get something free.

I do however enjoy the new stores.

Well was good to meet Bicko and his wife for the BBQ and of course me cousin Ron came up for a few as well.

With regard to the New stores it certainly helps put Buriram Province on the map and is a big boost for locals wanting supplies whether for the home or there shops :

Twikits still has good choices as well, but with all the alterations made maybe there will be a sell off as mentioned before to say TESCO lets wait and see

Twikits still has good choices as well, but with all the alterations made maybe there will be a sell off as mentioned before to say TESCO lets wait and see

Cannot really see Tesco opening in Buriram. They will be aware of the problems they have in Surin, and there just is not room for 3 superstores in Buriram for the forseeable future. There are rumours and Police confirmation (but no confirmation from Tesco -for confidentiality reasons) that they are to open in Prakhonchai. This would make more sense, and they would have a big captive area.

The only thing going for Tiwikit in the long term is the cinema which appeals to the youngsters