Interactive Brokers, Anyone In Thailand Using Them?

I'm having a lot of problems with th TWS sofware dropping out due to poor quality internet connections here in Thailand.

Does anybody else here use IB and does your internet connection keep you connected to the US server farm.

I see they have a server farm in Hong Kong, I was told i can connect into there if I want to,, that might be better.

Anyone?

I'm having a lot of problems with th TWS sofware dropping out due to poor quality internet connections here in Thailand.

Does anybody else here use IB and does your internet connection keep you connected to the US server farm.

I see they have a server farm in Hong Kong, I was told i can connect into there if I want to,, that might be better.

Anyone?

I use IB. For the last month or more I lose about half my data feed every few minutes for 30 seconds or so. Then it comes back and I lose the other half. Once in a while I lose all of it and have to reboot. Let me know how the HK severs goes if you would please. Oh, I use Maxnet. It is not great.

Edited by lannarebirth

Lanna,

Another member based in Bangkok pm'ed me to say the HK server is a good move.

You can use ping plotter to trace to it at gw1.ibllc.com.hk

I get much better responses to HK than NY

I'm also on maxnet here, and have Indy package, 1 meg that alledgedly has been upgraded for free to 2 meg :o

I just just moved into this place and the line is about a month old, everything worked perfectly until last thursday since then its been awful with all the dropouts you describe. Something happend last week for me to mess things up. I didnt get a single drop out, not once for 8 hours each day for a whole month, then it goes really bad and nobody knows what went wrong. :D

Problems with IB seem to be due to [data] packet loss. TWS is programmed to drop the connection at a certain level of packet loss due to danger of lost orders. Unfortunately Thai ISP's seem to discard packets if their fixed bandwidth looks to be overloaded. Things are better than they were a couple of years ago when it was completely unuseable until IB dumbed downn the settings in recognition of poor internet connections.

Right now I have to reset the modem 1 or 2 times a day due (I assume) to TRUE bouncing evrrybody off in the hope that not all will reconnect. I stopped trading futures long ago because of this. Another thing you might check is whether the problem is caused by a hyperthreading/Java conflict - I was finding the data flow just stopped for a few minutres at a time - solution was to diable hyperthreading in the bios.

Problems with IB seem to be due to [data] packet loss. TWS is programmed to drop the connection at a certain level of packet loss due to danger of lost orders. Unfortunately Thai ISP's seem to discard packets if their fixed bandwidth looks to be overloaded. Things are better than they were a couple of years ago when it was completely unuseable until IB dumbed downn the settings in recognition of poor internet connections.

Right now I have to reset the modem 1 or 2 times a day due (I assume) to TRUE bouncing evrrybody off in the hope that not all will reconnect. I stopped trading futures long ago because of this. Another thing you might check is whether the problem is caused by a hyperthreading/Java conflict - I was finding the data flow just stopped for a few minutres at a time - solution was to diable hyperthreading in the bios.

Using broadband since years and rarely had problems with IBs TWS in Thailand.

Using broadband since years and rarely had problems with IBs TWS in Thailand.

May I ask wher you are and which ISP / service / package you use and whether you rely on "connection green light" being permanently on

Phuket, Island Technology broadband. Trading 4 different platforms and all are working.

Either by PM, or in this thread, can one of you please explain to me how I can switch to the HK server. MY TWS platform will not even open now. Like mokwit, I just cannot trade futures like this. Thanks in advance.

OK, I just sent in a Customer Service ticket requesting transfer to HK servers. I wish I'd done it last week, as they only make changes when the system is down on the weekends. I sure hope that rectifies the situation.

Lanna, yes sorry thats the way to go, a ticket or you can call the Honk Kong office on +852 2156 7907

I'm with Maxnet too, its been dreadful connecting for the last 2 weeks but last night TWS worked perfectly. I noted that I could only get to about 20% of websites outside of thailand and about 50% of websites inside Thailand.

I was told last week by a visiting engineer that TT&Ts IIG (international internet gateway is not fully operational or has some problems that were to be recified over the weekend just passed.

lets hope over the next few days things improve and I can get back to shorting as the markets collapse again through sub prime worries :o

Lanna, yes sorry thats the way to go, a ticket or you can call the Honk Kong office on +852 2156 7907

I'm with Maxnet too, its been dreadful connecting for the last 2 weeks but last night TWS worked perfectly. I noted that I could only get to about 20% of websites outside of thailand and about 50% of websites inside Thailand.

I was told last week by a visiting engineer that TT&Ts IIG (international internet gateway is not fully operational or has some problems that were to be recified over the weekend just passed.

lets hope over the next few days things improve and I can get back to shorting as the markets collapse again through sub prime worries :o

Thanks for your response Thaipwriter. What you've described re: Maxnet and TWS is absolutely identical to what I've been experiencing, both with the TWS platform and overseas websites. Supposedly TOT will be installling another line for me tomorrow and I'll be on the HK servers next week. I hope I see substantial improvements on all fronts.

Anyone?

Hi, I am also using TWS. Currently I experience problems 2, about since 14 okt. What I want 2 say is, it doesnt have 2 be ur internet-connection.

I am working with TWS for the last 1.5 y on different locations here in los. ( Pattaya, Koh Pha Ngan, Hua Hinn, Phuket, BKK )

My problem at the moment is market date goes on/off. If theres a connection problem it should be the login pop up popping up.

I am almost certain its IB that has a problem. Had the same thing a copple of months ago, was gone after a few days.

The reason I am certain is that the place I am currently staying (Phuket) worked fine for the last 7 weeks.

I also send a message 2 them and its handled but I didnt hear from them yet.

Normally they always reply instantly, so I guess they are aware of it.

Maybe it has 2 do with the new security measures ( password generator).

What is ur problem exactly?

Shabby internet connections in Thailand :-), thats all. it works perfectly in other countries.

Its just here, they constantly mess around here with configurations and DSLAM contention ratios.

I just had my building upgrade one of the incoming lines from the indy 1 meg line to the Premier 1024/512 TT&T package. I can see vast imprrovment in ping times and tracerts to NY and HK servers.

I will see whether the the dreaded magenta grid / log in box / red data connection dropouts are occuring and report back here....

• 4 weeks later...

Shabby internet connections in Thailand :-), thats all. it works perfectly in other countries.

Its just here, they constantly mess around here with configurations and DSLAM contention ratios.

I just had my building upgrade one of the incoming lines from the indy 1 meg line to the Premier 1024/512 TT&T package. I can see vast imprrovment in ping times and tracerts to NY and HK servers.

I will see whether the the dreaded magenta grid / log in box / red data connection dropouts are occuring and report back here....

Hi,

I was in Phuket.......worked well for 7 weeks

Then the same problems u described.......for 3 weeks.

Didnt appear as a connection problem 2 me.......my TA program (server Holland) worked fine.

Normally if anything is wrong....this one fuc_ks up first.

last week Koh Pha Ngan.......power failures on the island but IB no problems...logged straight back in when the power came back up....

At the moment in Chumpon...few days no problems.......untill now

I am on the HK server since 2 weeks.....internet speed here 1mb....everything rocks, except IB

TOT having problems again? is there a way 2 find out?

kitesurfer,

As Thaipwriter noted the "magenta grid" death screen is due to data drop out. I have experienced it even when Maxnet speeds should have been ample. I don't have the problem anymore but it was a bitch to overcome it. Firstly I switched from the US based servers to Hong Kong based servers. Next I upgraded my 1mb Maxnet Indy service to 1Mb Maxnet Premeir service. That move alone took care of most of the problems. I went from having to reboot both computer and router 15 times per evening to only once or twice. Still not happy I got a TOT "Gold" ADSL connection with it's own router. My TT&T service is connected downstairs on one phoneline to a wireless router which connects to a USB wireless antenna on my computer. The TOT ADSL is hardwired to my computer through it's own router. The TOT service is the primary ISP and when it goes down it automatically switches to the wireless feed from the TT&T service. I have had absolutely zero problems since implementing this setup. One shouldn't have to do it, but there you are.

kitesurfer,

As Thaipwriter noted the "magenta grid" death screen is due to data drop out. I have experienced it even when Maxnet speeds should have been ample. I don't have the problem anymore but it was a bitch to overcome it. Firstly I switched from the US based servers to Hong Kong based servers. Next I upgraded my 1mb Maxnet Indy service to 1Mb Maxnet Premeir service. That move alone took care of most of the problems. I went from having to reboot both computer and router 15 times per evening to only once or twice. Still not happy I got a TOT "Gold" ADSL connection with it's own router. My TT&T service is connected downstairs on one phoneline to a wireless router which connects to a USB wireless antenna on my computer. The TOT ADSL is hardwired to my computer through it's own router. The TOT service is the primary ISP and when it goes down it automatically switches to the wireless feed from the TT&T service. I have had absolutely zero problems since implementing this setup. One shouldn't have to do it, but there you are.

Hi Lanna,

My TWS problem(s) is not only the magneta grid......alltough today it is....but also the market data going on / off ( green / red) with loss of qoutes offcourse ( without magneta grid problems)

What I dont understand is why after 2 years in Thailand running IB on the most shitty connections u can think off ( even one time on AIS GPRS) this problem never ever occured?

My TA program gave me shit all the time........IB never......not even on this GPRS ( mobile phone)

I am on the HK server farm too, switched a few weeks ago.

I dont have the luxury of changing my internet - connection because I am moving around ( following the wind (monsoons) kitesurfing )

What I also dont understand is why one day no problem at all and the next day shit again.

2 weeks ago I was in Phuket for about 2.5 month.

Didnt had no problem for the first 6 weeks, like I never had in LOS so far.

After that, the magneta grid and the on /off problem.

At first I suspected IB, because they installed this new security system (token)

When i finally tried IB in a internet shop ( with a very slow internet speed, it took TWS 2 download about 15 min) it worked fine......no problem at all.

So I blamed the WIFI ( appartement service).

Last week I was on Koh Pha Ngan ( TOT line ) for 10 days ( 6 trading days) no problem whatsoever.

Imagine that Koh Pha Ngan has power failures at the moment.....power went on again.....IB up and running again like nothing happend, like it always did.

At the moment in Chumpon ( TOT line, I guess 1mb).

First days no problem at all and very fast internet ( compared 2 my former experiences)

Then the shit started again.

But yesterday (14 nov) a slight on / off every 10 - 15 min for a few seconds.....ok 2 trade.

Today (15 nov) shit again, magneta grid shit.

My TA program ( server in Holland) very sensitive 2 data packet loss and latency , doesnt have any problem at all.

Is it provider related this problem?? or perhaps because of this new ISP law thing..or change or whatever they doing?

To my knowlegde I started seeing troubles with IB somewhere in aug when I was in Pattaya.

But because i went 2 Phuket the week after that, I didnt gave it much tought ( they changed something with the connection at that time in the place I was at)

As I mentioned b4, in the beginning in Phuket no problems at all.

What do u think about all of this?

How is it possible that one day its ok and the next day shit again and how about the same provider TWS runs ok on one location but shitty on the next location.

How is it possible that one day its ok and the next day shit again and how about the same provider TWS runs ok on one location but shitty on the next location.

If i had the naswer to that question, i would be a happy man.

There is no easy answer, seemingly your tendency to move around makes your quest for a good connection, "pot luck"

Even guys like Lanna have had to resort to dual ISPs to overcome this situation.

Its clear that TWS is very sensitive to any degradation in packet transmission or signal quality, Thailands internet infrastructure is very good at providing those degraded signals, dropouts and all manner of other idiosyncrasies that will upset TWS.

For 36 hours last week I was totally unable to access any internet webites, yet TWS worked flawlessy on the same connection.

I use DTAC Edge GPRS as back up. TWS runs fine but a little "retarded" on that.

Its a royal pain in the ass isnt it?