Us Tourist Visa Validity

My long-term partner was just issued a 3 month single entry tourist visa to the US. It expires on 31 December 2007...but I was planning on staying in america with her for a month, returning on 15 January 2008. Can she stay in the US until 15 January without having to file an extension.

Also, the short single entry visa came as a surprise....I assumed she would be issued what I thought was the standard 10-year multiple entry tourist visa (but i was wrong)...Is there anyway I can go back and ask that she be issued a longer-term multiple entry visa (I travel about 4-times a year to the US). The consular didn't even look at my stack of information at the interview and only asked a few brief questions.

I'd like to have the ability to have her travel with me to the US on multiple occasions.

I guess I should have asked exactly what visa they were issuing her at the time of interview....but the thought skipped my mind.

Is it easier to get a longer visa the 2nd time around? I greatly dislike the $100 visa fee :o

--matt

See also How can I find out how long I am authorized to stay in the U.S?

Strange about the 3 month single entry tourist visa. See also Thailand Reciprocity Schedule and Temporary Reciprocity Schedule.

From What is New-Visa:

the "Temporary Reciprocity Schedule" that is used for newly-independent countries, or when deemed necessary.

Perhaps it wouldn't be "deemed necessary" to use the "Temporary Reciprocity Schedule" for the 2nd visa application.

Edited by vinny

See also How can I find out how long I am authorized to stay in the U.S?

Strange about the 3 month single entry tourist visa. See also Thailand Reciprocity Schedule and Temporary Reciprocity Schedule.

From What is New-Visa:

the "Temporary Reciprocity Schedule" that is used for newly-independent countries, or when deemed necessary.

Perhaps it wouldn't be "deemed necessary" to use the "Temporary Reciprocity Schedule" for the 2nd visa application.

i dont understand..what is this?

I'm only guessing that they used the Temporary Reciprocity Schedule rather than Thailand Reciprocity Schedule. The former only allows for 3 months' validity period for B1/B2 visas (with two entries and not one), while the latter allows 120 months (multiple entries). Perhaps you can ask them why they didn't use the latter Schedule.

Just speculating here about the reason for a short validity visa rather than a 10-year one.

The first couple of U.S. visa my now wife got were similar, multiple entry but with only a 6-month validity.  The third time we went in she got a 10-year visa.  Reckon they just wanted to establish a track record that she'd come back to Thailand.

Got an American friend who had similer with his GF, this 2002, she got a one entry visa valid for three months but "restricted to 30 days" in the U.S.  INS at Port of Entry stamped her in for 6 months anyway, their sort of normal chop, saves resetting the date stamp, I guess.  Oh, yes, the ConOff also wrote in her passport that she had to come in to the Consulate personally to show that she'd returned.  A few months back she went in for another visa and got a 10-year, they're in the U.S. now.

Your GF might be in a similar view, want to see the track record of returns.  I'd also bet she'd be stamped in for 6 months.

Mac

I'd follow the visa requirements for the simple reasoning, that they might hold that against you if you don't return within the given time period on the initial visa. Might give them cause for denial, however if you follow things to the letter then give them reason to trust you for longer 10yr visa. :o

Once she enters the USA, the validity of the visa is immaterial. She will be able to stay in the USA based on the entry stamp, which probably will say 6 months, but the officer decides that on the spot.

My wife's first visa (in 2002) was a 3 month single entry, which was given without an interview (not required at that time). It was never used and later in 2003 she was given a 5 year multi entry. She now has a 10 year multi entry.

Take the first trip, and when you return you will have to apply for new one (and pay the fee and another interview). Hopefully they will give her the 10 year one.

TH

I got a Multiple Indefinite Visa for US back in 1977 and when I was living in Manila in 1992 went to the US Embassy to get it transferred to a new passport. They told me there that I don't need to transfer it, it's still valid for life and that if I re-apply I might not get another one.

I don't have a machine readable passport (UK) so can anyone tell me could I still use this visa?

I got a Multiple Indefinite Visa for US back in 1977 and when I was living in Manila in 1992 went to the US Embassy to get it transferred to a new passport. They told me there that I don't need to transfer it, it's still valid for life and that if I re-apply I might not get another one.

I don't have a machine readable passport (UK) so can anyone tell me could I still use this visa?

Below a FAQ from the U.S. Embassy in Singapore on the subject.

Mac

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/faq6.html

Frequently Asked Questions

WHAT IF I HOLD A "MULTIPLE/INDEFINITE" VISA?

Holders of visas of "indefinite" validity should be aware that these visas are only valid for ten years from the date of issuance. If your indefinite visa is more than ten years old, you should apply for a new visa.

Note that instead of an expiration date, this visa has the word “INDEFINITELY.” If your visa has an actual expiration date, it is NOT a multiple/indefinite visa.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And from the U.S. Embassy in Manila:

http://malta.usembassy.gov/frequently_asked_questions.html

Q: I have a multiple and indefinite visa on my old passport; can you transfer this over to my new passport?

A: The "multiple and indefinite visa" you have on your old passport has been superseded by a new type of visa that contains more information and is usually valid for 10 years in the case of Maltese citizens. Therefore you will need to apply for a new visa.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See ya at the Consular Section, NIV window....

Mac