Would You Go To Iraq?

Begs

If you was offered a chance of a contract in Iraq, that paid 150,000 U.S. Dollars for a years work, would you take it.

Take into account that you may be a target because you are a western contractor,

but for a chance to earn a lot of money TAX FREE, would you take that chance, even though it may cost you your life?

Would you risk all to secure your future?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you was offered a chance of a contract in Iraq, that paid 150,000 U.S. Dollars for a years work, would you take it.

Take into account that you may be a target because you are a western contractor,

but for a chance to earn a lot of money TAX FREE, would you take that chance, even though it may cost you your life?

no thanks.you can earn that in bkk on a decent corporate expat package.

No , for starters because it is just way too hot (dangerous) there. You can't spend that money if you're dead.

Second, that amount is relatively low for the kind of money that is available. A more likely amount (in USD) would be $50-$100 per hour with guaranteed 20-30 hours a week at time and a half overtime. So one would typically be looking at $200K per year minimum, and typically more like $250K or up.

But even that amount of money doesn't matter relative to the risks. If you get killed, it doesn't matter what amount of money you have earned or saved.

Aside from all that, there are the horrible living conditions (e.g., living in a tent and cot, 40deg+ in the shade, 50 deg+ in the sun, wearing a flak jacket all day, the threat of violence almost 24 hours a day, etc.).

saw an article about american guys going over there as drivers . the figure mentioned was 80,000 american dollars a year . they were inundated with applicants. how much are the philipinos ,indians and pakistanis earning !! i dread to think . it must seem worthwhile to them .

I've heard of people earning $18,000 per month working in high risk areas such as Iraq, but this is Chinese whispers. The figure you mentioned does seem a little low though.

18.000 dollars per month would be a standard package for any IT freelancer. I was in Saudi earlier this year, where they are also desperate for skilled people, and was offered 1000 dollars per day plus accomodation and flights.

Iraq would not be so bad - you could in a hotel for reasonable money and food would be cheap. All cities are dangerous, but the middle east is easier because the danger is more obvious.

I'm not sure $150 000 would secure my future !! :o

The figure of 150,000 Dollars is just a guideline, make it 250,000 if you want.

My main point is, would you risk all for the type of money most people could only dream about, make it 500,000, just make it a sum that you could never hope to earn in a normal job, in normal conditions.

Would you risk it? :D

I'm not sure $150 000 would secure my future !! :D

The figure of 150,000 Dollars is just a guideline, make it 250,000 if you want.

My main point is, would you risk all for the type of money most people could only dream about, make it 500,000, just make it a sum that you could never hope to earn in a normal job, in normal conditions.

Would you risk it? :D

If the money was enough to secure my future... Yes I would take the risk... :o my TGF would also have an input and would have to agree also

If I had children then this would be a harder decision to make...

totster :D

Have to agree that $150K really isn't enough. Despite the safety concerns there would also be very little to do for a year of your life except for work. I'd rather stay at home and work every spare hour of my time for a year to make the $150K.

To be fair $150K is worth a lot more to some people than others, maybe a better figure would be 5/10 x your current salary.

The fact that it is an illegal occupation of a sovereign state and you'd be accepting blood money from the Bush/Blair coalition of the dumb seems to have passed everyone by apart from Possum and Marquess, but perhaps this bothers few when there's filthy lucre to be made. It's amazing how the justification for this war are now rarely questioned amongst many Westerners, which to me tends to suggest that the Iraqi people are going to win sooner rather than later (and a whole lot sooner than it took the Vietnamese to gain independence from the last colonial occupiers).

I guess that depends on if you agree with your statement that it is an ilegal occupation. I believe that sovereignty has been handed back to the Iraqis and the coalition forces are there at the request of the interim Iraqi government.

The Iraqi people will have the final say over how long the coalition forces remain after they get the opportunity to vote in free and fair elections, an opportunity which was never afforded to them under the dictatorship of Sadam.

As someone who supported the overthrow of a dictator responsible for the torture and murder of thousands aswell as numerous other human rights abuses I would have no moral quandry in accepting money to help rebuild this nation.

I respect your right to oppose the war in Iraq, however I feel you have no right to impose your morality on others.