Police problems

anthemite

My wife is Thai and we plan on moving to Thailand for good in the next few years. Despite my passable Thai language and cultural fluency, my wife insists that I will not be happy living there, most specifically because of her claim that police officers in Thailand will constantly bother me, ask for bribes, and possibly hassle or arrest me just for feeling like it.

We have returned for several months before, and in fact on our last trip, during a trek to the north, some of the policemen in a roadblock checking papers near Chiang Rai requested bribes.

I would expect this sort of treatment, but I think my wife is referring to more substantial problems.

Has anyone there had experience with this sort of treatment? What sort of problems have you had? Is it everywhere or mainly in certain parts of the country? Are there ways to avoid it?

hi'

well, I don't know what kind of problem you could talk about ...

the fact is that you have to follow some rules now !

wear a helmet on a motorbyke, and some like this, except these, that could lead you to pay "bribes" ... nothing special,

this might be rumours or ask your wife, "did she had problem with any police before ... ?"

she might fear to encounter some more problems ...

we have to admit that policemen are not paid enough, but they are doing their job like anywhere else.

Actually, I think she is referring to bribes to local police officers and chiefs (chieves?). We plan on living in Suphanburi, outside the city, and I plan on opening up a school for the less well off students. Her concerns seem to be centered around locals stirring up trouble for the local fahrang who appears to have money (because of the school, not an ostentatious lifestyle).

I am pleased to see that few in this forum have had any serious problems, but I think my wife is referring to more serious, regular extortion payments, either to the local constabulary or to a local hoodlum. I have stayed in the area for a few months on end in the past with not a single problem, but semi-retirement is another prospect altogether.

Besides extortion, is there any sort of kickback-style behavior that is common in Thailand? Should I be concerned about being "put out of business"?

• 6 years later...

From 2002 the original posters are a lower member number than me :)

Wonder if he did open the school or butterfly himself to death as mentioned?

Can anyone remember when the word Gik started? i can trace it back about 6 years for myself

Edited by sanook2me

The biggest bilking they ever tried to give Alisa & I were 800 baht (about $18.00) It was a bullshit ticket & one of the charges could not be found in the manifest & they knocked it down to 200 baht(about $4.50) Big deal. The charges for bribes would take me 15 years to equal one ticket in the U.S. & a Thai girl can most assuredly get it knocked down to the nub.

Don't worry about the small potatoes -it will be the least of your worries. True if you were forced to shoot a thief here (with proper permits) it might cost up to 50,000 baht to pay the police off to have the problem totally expunged off your record. Not to worry our countries are way more Politely corrupt. :)

<font color='#000000'>Actually, I think she is referring to bribes to local police officers and chiefs (chieves?). We plan on living in Suphanburi, outside the city, and I plan on opening up a school for the less well off students. Her concerns seem to be centered around locals stirring up trouble for the local fahrang who appears to have money (because of the school, not an ostentatious lifestyle).

I am pleased to see that few in this forum have had any serious problems, but I think my wife is referring to more serious, regular extortion payments, either to the local constabulary or to a local hoodlum. I have stayed in the area for a few months on end in the past with not a single problem, but semi-retirement is another prospect altogether.

Besides extortion, is there any sort of kickback-style behavior that is common in Thailand? Should I be concerned about being "put out of business"?</font>

I have lived for extended periods at my wife home near Loei city, our way of contributing to the less well off students is in the form of a donation every year to 12 students of 2000tb for them to purchase the required books for that year, I have also given three second hand computers.

One year after I had upgraded my camera I donated the old one to the village police also my wife raised funds from within the village to paint the police station reception.

We have never been asked for anything in fact a blind eye has been turned when family has had minor incursions with the law, I love the village life and get pride of place at any official gatherings. The worst offenders are the jumped up "Puyai Baan" who wants any donations to offered through them, they get short shrift.