Jellyfish Attack Farang In Jomtien

britmaveric

Warning to Foreign Visitors of Jellyfish

111007_5.jpg

On 10th October, we had a tourist visit our office with his family to make a complaint on an incident that he was just involved with in Pattaya.

Mr. Michael Mccracken stated that on the weekend he went down to swim at Jomtien Beach with his family and got injured when he came into contact with a group of jellyfish. One of them stung him and the skin irritation resulted in a high fever and bruising. Mr. Mccracken stated that as a tourist, he thinks that City Hall should have warning signs on the beaches when the jellyfish season is here so that tourists can be aware when going for a swim since it could be dangerous to people with allergies.

-Pattaya People

11 Oct 2007

hah maybe so tropo, but its not often you go swimming in rose bushes. :o

Actually i dont know much about jellyfish but i guess they attack if disturbed? If there is a lot of jellyfish around at this time in common swimming areas then i can see the guys point in requesting warning signs.

Actually i dont know much about jellyfish but i guess they attack if disturbed?

Nope.

Cheers

Disturbed jelly fish attacking? Marine mental disorders are far from my speciality but i'm sure jellyfish would never purposely attack disturbed or otherwise. Maybe it was drunk from beer in all the dropped bottles?

ow ok, so just if you stand on them? :o

I admit...i know practically zero about jellyfish (just that in emergency you should pee on yourself if you get stung. Thanks to the tv series "Friends" ^^)

So the guy was just overreacting in that case. yes?

When i was a kid i lived in Brighton UK, (that's on the south coast for non brits). Jellyfish were not uncommon and occasionally the nasty portugese man of war was washed up on the beach. I never saw any signs warning of jellyfish there so why should any one expect better from Thailand.

When i was a kid i lived in Brighton UK, (that's on the south coast for non brits). Jellyfish were not uncommon and occasionally the nasty portugese man of war was washed up on the beach. I never saw any signs warning of jellyfish there so why should any one expect better from Thailand.

There is a lot worse things than portugese man of war which get washed up on Brighton beach :o

TBWG :D

Jellyfish don't attack anyone, even Farangs. They're passive and float with the currents.

It's like saying I got attacked by a rose bush.

obvious that you have never been in water that contained jellyfish -- these opaque creatures are very difficult to see and they can inflict very painful wounds and have also been known to kill --especially the box jellyfish and serveral other very dangerous varities - how do you think these animals catch their prey --not thru speed - by stinging them and when stunned they eat them - in Australia warning signs are posted on beaches that are known to be infected with jellyfish swarms during different times of the year -- especially in the tropical areas - and yes i have been attacked by a rose bush -- hahaa

ow ok, so just if you stand on them? :o

I admit...i know practically zero about jellyfish (just that in emergency you should pee on yourself if you get stung. Thanks to the tv series "Friends" ^^)

That`s a fine theory as long as you dont get stung on your shoulder in that case you would have to get someone else to pee on you.

:D

Around the same time last year I was at Jom Tien with my wife and she was stung by a jellyfish she still has the scar.

Edited by ercorn

Jellyfish don't attack anyone, even Farangs. They're passive and float with the currents.

It's like saying I got attacked by a rose bush.

obvious that you have never been in water that contained jellyfish -- these opaque creatures are very difficult to see and they can inflict very painful wounds and have also been known to kill --especially the box jellyfish and serveral other very dangerous varities - how do you think these animals catch their prey --not thru speed - by stinging them and when stunned they eat them - in Australia warning signs are posted on beaches that are known to be infected with jellyfish swarms during different times of the year -- especially in the tropical areas - and yes i have been attacked by a rose bush -- hahaa

I'm sorry I didn't make it obvious.

I'm a surfer, swimmer and a scuba diver who has lived on Australian beaches for over 20 years mostly in Queensland including the northern beaches where the box jellyfish are found. I've been stung by jellyfish many time, but have never been attacked by any.

Jellyfish don't attack. They have tentacles which contain nematocists which are activated by skin contact.

Basically they're a bit like spiderwebs of the ocean. They are waiting for their prey to come in contact with their deadly tentacles.

Swimming into jellyfish and being stung is analogous to rubbing up against a rose bush while gardening.

I agree warning signs could be necessary if they are fequently found on local beaches in Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

If memory serves me right there was a big university study done on various sting treatments many years ago and vinegar came out tops for the treatment. If all else fails P1ss is good too.

You're probably right. All the Australian life savers have vinegar on hand to treat the victims of jellyfish attacks.

If memory serves me right there was a big university study done on various sting treatments many years ago and vinegar came out tops for the treatment. If all else fails P1ss is good too.

Perhaps that goes part way to explaining the multitude of chippies on brighton seafront. (regarding the vinegar not the p1ss)

111007_5.jpg

On 10th October, we had a tourist visit our office with his family to make a complaint on an incident that he was just involved with in Pattaya.

Mr. Michael Mccracken stated that on the weekend he went down to swim at Jomtien Beach with his family and got injured when he came into contact with a group of jellyfish. One of them stung him and the skin irritation resulted in a high fever and bruising. Mr. Mccracken stated that as a tourist, he thinks that City Hall should have warning signs on the beaches when the jellyfish season is here so that tourists can be aware when going for a swim since it could be dangerous to people with allergies.

-Pattaya People

11 Oct 2007

We get them in torquay in devon where i come from, a regular occurance and can sting,usually its a mild stinging that seems to go away if cleaned with non salt water, never known them attack though ! . looks like what bit him had teeth, never seen a jellyfish with teeth either ! :o

Someone is going to say that they got chased by a jellyfish next!

I once watched a dive buddy being "chased" by a beautiful purple Box Jellyfish which had approx 2m tentacles :o I am quite convinced the Jellyfish had not concept that it was "Chasing" him though :D

Cheers

111007_5.jpg

-Pattaya People

11 Oct 2007

Thats an OGRE not a jellyfish!

I once watched a dive buddy being "chased" by a beautiful purple Box Jellyfish which had approx 2m tentacles :o I am quite convinced the Jellyfish had not concept that it was "Chasing" him though :D

Cheers

That's interesting, because the box jellyfish in Australia are transparent and quite difficult to see.

post-34982-1192474786_thumb.jpg post-34982-1192475341_thumb.jpg

This is the one responsible for most of the deaths.

Edited by tropo

Cheers

That's interesting, because the box jellyfish in Australia are transparent and quite difficult to see.

post-34982-1192474786_thumb.jpg

This is the one responsible for most of the deaths.

Hows that difficult to see?

Hows that difficult to see?

Obviously the photograph was taken against a dark background so you can see it. There's not much point taking a photo of one if you can't see it.

If you go swimming in the ocean (not recommended) you'll discover they are very difficult to see. Often they can only be seen by their shadows. It's nature's way of stealth hunting.

Unfortunately you are not likely to see the jellyfish until after you are stung. At that point it is important to stand still and look for it. If you panic and happen to run into it you will be seriously stung. They don't attack and they don't come after you. They float around with the action of the water. They frequently wash up on the beach and die.

My first wife came from the South of Spain, near the Portuguese border.

The place had miles of sandy beaches, great swimming and clam fishing.

But for a couple of months each year they closed the beaches completely because of the jellyfish problems.

If you're swimming you just don't see them until you're amongst them and then you have the devil's own job getting away - long drifting tentacles that sting like crazy. And where there's one, there's a thousand more.