E-commerce Software - Any Recommendations?

technocracy

I am currently looking around for a decent and relatively simple to use frontend for a web shop which I intend to setup.

I've looked around and there is millions of buggers! Trying to pick which is decent ain't easy.

I don't mind paying, I don't mind doing HTML as required (I am familiar with Dreamweaver, MySQL etc - and developed websites previously), but now I can't be arsed reinventing the wheel.

My main requirement is a decent management backend to allow easy site updates, I am past wanting to be fiddling around with HTML to just update a page etc. That said the frontend must be completely customisable, I don't want an off the shelf

frontend, decent SEO in the package is a must.

Anyone recommend any packages?

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention - I don't require hosting, DNS or other add-ons - that's all taken care of.

Edited by technocracy

I would add ZenCart to the list as well. I've used it for a few stores and i've generally been happy with it.

Whichever you choose, be sure to keep a detailed log of your installation and customizations. Learn how to customize the site the proper way to save yourself future headaches.

Most will require some CSS skills and I have found the Web Developer plugin for FireFox to be a huge asset for this. It allows you to edit the CSS on the fly and see the changes instantly.