Oysters

rak sa_ngop

Several times I have bought tubs of 'Oyster Meat' about 32 baht from Foodland etc. These are actually whole 'shucked' oysters, but I have yet to find a good way to enjoy them. I have tried making oyster omelette but my electric rings do not get hot enough to make a real omelette.

I have tried them in sweetcorn soup and also thrown in fried noodles with other vegetables.

They are difficult to cook with as they overcook easily and and up like rolls of snot.

I used to like deep-fried oysters from UK chinkies but am not into deep frying at home.

Any other suggestions?

Several times I have bought tubs of 'Oyster Meat' about 32 baht from Foodland etc. These are actually whole 'shucked' oysters, but I have yet to find a good way to enjoy them. I have tried making oyster omelette but my electric rings do not get hot enough to make a real omelette.

I have tried them in sweetcorn soup and also thrown in fried noodles with other vegetables.

They are difficult to cook with as they overcook easily and and up like rolls of snot.

I used to like deep-fried oysters from UK chinkies but am not into deep frying at home.

Any other suggestions?

Hi,

first I'd be very careful with those oysters and give them a really good nose test - if all OK turn them in some flower in which you have mixed some white pepper - pad off any excess you only want a light coating - than in egg-wash with a little bit of wostershire sauce and tabasco mixed in and than in breadcrumbs - heat some oil & butter in your pan or an electric wok and fry until golden brown turn as required - frying time should be as short as possible- serve with wedges of lemon (real lemon if possible) and a bairnese sauce

Edited by JohnBKKK

The oysters as you describe are most often eaten raw in Thailand (with lime, peppers, fried garlic, etc.) so they usually ARE very fresh -- but as JBKKK says, always give them the nose test. Rather than deep frying, I adapted this recipe. My main change is to take the oysters out after they initially cook, boil down the curry, and then add the oysters at the end so they do not shrivel up to nothing -- use the whole plastic container of oysters... and Waugh's curry powder mixed with some Thai red curry paste.

1939: Ceylon Curry of Oysters

This recipe appeared in The New York Times in an article by Charlotte Hughes (in 1939):

2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil

4 small shallots, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

½ serrano or Thai chili, seeded and minced

1 tablespoon curry powder

1 large pinch turmeric

1 cinnamon stick

3 cloves

1 bay leaf

1 cup coconut milk

Salt

12 oysters, shucked, liquor reserved

Juice of ½ lemon.

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots, garlic and chili, and sauté until softened and starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.

2. Reduce heat to low and add the coconut milk and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the oysters and their liquor; simmer until the oysters are just firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and add lemon juice and salt to taste. Serves 2.

I've eyed them off many times in Big C.

I wonder how they would go pickled? I've done it with crayfish tails and other shellfish such as scallops as well.

Just had a google, this is Philipino.

1-1/2 cup oyster removed from shell

3/4 cup vinegar

1 tbsp. garlic chopped finely

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/2 cup native red onion, sliced

3 red hot native pepper (labuyo)

Blanch the oysters quickly. Strain. Combine all the rest of the ingredients in a pan and blend well.

* Boil for about 1 minute. Place oysters in a deep bowl and pour the spicy liquid over it. Let cool: then chill. Server cold. Good for 4 - 6 person.

try this one for summat different

get a piece of decent steak about 1" thick

make a small incision on the side of the steak and make a pocket inside

fill it with oysters, use a tooth pick to close the incision

cook the steak, I love it :o

:o To be very honest, normally there is only one way for me to eat oysters - fresh from the sea - a bit of lemon juice (they must still twitch) and gobble hmmmmmm :D but this is with Brittany oysters (cold water) the ones here I find OK to cook but only in my fried version otherwise they look hmmmm somewhat unsavory lol

• 2 weeks later...

I've had these local oysters many times here...usually in the thai oyster omelet [hoy tot] and enjoy them, if not too oily. Have always wondered where they come from.....either they are thai or maybe cold water from china?/ no vendor has a clue as to their origin....does anyone out there??

• 5 weeks later...

Around here there are many small oyster farms and I can buy a large bag of about 40 fresh that day oysters for about 40B.

I tend I tend to make a creamy oyster soup, fry some red onions and garlic to taste in butter or oil until translucent then add depending where you are, fresh cream or a can of evaporated milk thicken with cornflower then add the oysters for a couple of minutes only, add parsley if you grow it or else pak che season with salt and pepper and enjoy.

Around here there are many small oyster farms and I can buy a large bag of about 40 fresh that day oysters for about 40B.

I tend I tend to make a creamy oyster soup, fry some red onions and garlic to taste in butter or oil until translucent then add depending where you are, fresh cream or a can of evaporated milk thicken with cornflower then add the oysters for a couple of minutes only, add parsley if you grow it or else pak che season with salt and pepper and enjoy.

I have now decided that they taste best fresh and raw, so I have started putting them on top of my tomato and cucumber salad and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I take it that these 'small oyster farms" are located around Rayong?

try this one for summat different

get a piece of decent steak about 1" thick

make a small incision on the side of the steak and make a pocket inside

fill it with oysters, use a tooth pick to close the incision

cook the steak, I love it :o

Surf and Turf is great have a crayfish tail on the side or here rock lobster but make sure it is from the sea not fresh water

I love oysters around the world all have a different flavour, I think Bluff oysters from New Zealand are the best, it seems strange to have such a beautiful delicate food deep fried at the local chippy. Portuguese come a close second.

Doyles restaurant in Sydney have some great cooked ones I seem to remember Kilpatrick, Mornay and a couple of others. Does anyone know the recipes for these.

Thailand also has some very big oysters but certainly here, like big crayfish they are hard to find as the big hotels/restaurants buy them up first.

When I think of Whitstable oysters 20 years ago were £1 per beastie and here 40 for 50p.

There is a place a few miles north of Pattaya famed for it's oysters I used to call in every trip from Bkk to Pattaya but I will need to look at a map to recall the name