Australian Election.

sceadugenga

I was wondering what local Australians were doing about voting. Last time I was in Bangkok and it was just a matter of popping into the embassy.

By the time I sent for a postal vote and returned it I suppose it would be too late.

Wondering, too.

There was a link to the relevant website in a thread in (I think) the General forum. Email address : [email protected] .

"Application for a Postal Vote" form is available on the AEC website. You are able to complete it on line - and print it out.

Based on the procedure at the last Federal Election:

Once the Embassy in Bangkok gets its act together - they will be able to process applications for postal votes. They will post you your voting papers - which you complete and are then sent back to the Embassy. Time frames get a bit tight - so watch the embassy website for details.

Ballot papers won't become available until at least the end of October. That then entails posting your application to Bangkok - get your Ballot Paper posted back to you - complete it - and post it back to Bangkok. That will take even longer if you ask the Embassy to send you an Application form. This time at least - the application form is available on line.

AEC in Australia can accept the scanned "Application for a Postal Vote" via email. Don't know if the Bangkok Embassy will be able to do this.

I don't know if AEC Australia would accept an emailed Application from overseas - the postal address block for voting papers is set up for Australia address only.

For those of us who don't have a WITNESS for the Application that meets the AEC criteria, read the notes from AEC (part of the on line Application doco).

That's the theory anyway.

Last election I was here, nothing happened, no fines arrived at my Australian address.... I will be back in OZ early December, I wonder it that will be too late to not vote for little John??

Yeah I missed a state election a couple of years back. Nothing happened either but my current Rep, a cute 30 year old, only has a margin of about 1.5%.

I was wondering what local Australians were doing about voting. Last time I was in Bangkok and it was just a matter of popping into the embassy.

By the time I sent for a postal vote and returned it I suppose it would be too late.

this thread has got the info

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802

I might download the form, fill, scan, email option as it seems the easiest.

Also voting is not compulsory for aussies overseas

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802

After the last election I got a letter from the electoral commission forwarded to my dad's address in Adelaide. I had a "please explain or we are going to fine you" form inside.

I wrote a letter that I was living in Chiang Mai and after the 911 attack the dept of foreign affairs had closed down the local consulate. Consequently I had contacted the Embassy in Bangkok and been informed that they didn't have sufficient time or staff to get all the relevant voting papers sent out to every Australian living in Thailand, consequently I should go to Bangkok and vote at the embassy instead. I said sure thing - when do I pick up my airline ticket? No that is my responsibility and priveledge as being an Australian.

I concluding my letter to the electoral commission I said that having closely watched the various members of parliament both federal and state, I came to the considered decision that none of them warrented a post stamp to send in the form let alone a visit to the embassy. Consequently when they front up with some politicians worth electing I would cast my vote until that time I would simply ignore them and hope they go away.

Never heard anything back from them.

CB (who is still waiting for a decent pack of politicians to make his vote effort worth while)

<a href="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802" target="_blank">http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802</a>

After the last election I got a letter from the electoral commission forwarded to my dad's address in Adelaide. I had a "please explain or we are going to fine you" form inside.

I got a letter like that once too when I came back from Thailand (going back many years), except there was no please explain - just a fine to pay. Roughly from memory I sent them a letter, I said I was overseas, I photocopied the entry and exit stamps and I never heard from them again.

From the AEC FAQ for overseas voters

Is it compulsory to vote if I am overseas?

Enrolment and voting by people outside Australia is not compulsory, however if you are going overseas you are required to inform the AEC. For information and the relevant forms, please see Overseas Electors - Eligibility and Forms.

http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/Voting_Overseas.htm#compos

<a href="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802" target="_blank">http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147802</a>

I wrote a letter that I was living in Chiang Mai and after the 911 attack the dept of foreign affairs had closed down the local consulate. Consequently I had contacted the Embassy in Bangkok and been informed that they didn't have sufficient time or staff to get all the relevant voting papers sent out to every Australian living in Thailand, consequently I should go to Bangkok and vote at the embassy instead. I said sure thing - when do I pick up my airline ticket? No that is my responsibility and priveledge as being an Australian.

I concluding my letter to the electoral commission I said that having closely watched the various members of parliament both federal and state, I came to the considered decision that none of them warrented a post stamp to send in the form let alone a visit to the embassy. Consequently when they front up with some politicians worth electing I would cast my vote until that time I would simply ignore them and hope they go away.

Never heard anything back from them.

CB (who is still waiting for a decent pack of politicians to make his vote effort worth while)

I suppose perfection is a hard ask in many other fields besides politics. Expecting anyone to embark on a career that doesn't involve self interest or personal gain would be difficult, but personally as politicians go I think Australia has been more fortunate than most countries.

The spotlight is on all public figures these days and non-conservative politicians probably get more than their fair share of it, the media having a vested interest in keeping them out of power.

I look upon voting as an obligation rather than a right or a privilege and try to do so when it's required of me. Actually, it could be an excuse for a run to Vientiane to the embassy there. :o

"Actually, it could be an excuse for a run to Vientiane to the embassy there"

Fine, let me know when you are going and I will come with you, I haven't been to Vientiane for ages....

I was possibly joking, I can't see myself getting there this year as much as I'd like to.