English Language Elementary Schools

lukamar

Bit of background. We have a house in Phayao and were planning on moving to Chiang rai when we move back to Thailand from Canada in 1-3 years (no set date) depends on a lot of things but we have decided that Chiang Mai is where it would best suit our family. We now have a 2 year old son who speaks english and understands a bit of Thai but we are not planning on pushing thai language studies on him at this stage.

My wife lived in Chiang mai when I met her and we spent a lot of time there. We have preferences as to areas we would prefer to live BUT..

We would like to have our child go to an english language school, international ones are probably out due to cost, so we would like information on what schools have good english programs that may not break the bank. We are very interested in what experiences others have had, good or bad. The choice of school will probably greatly influence the choice we make in the location we finally decide to live in.

The other alternative that we have is to have him take correspondence from Canada, through out local school district but neither my wife or I want the responsibility of being "the Teacher" for our son. I feel it would be easier if someone independent did that job. If anyone has any idea about what a private teacher may cost, part time, and the time requirement it would take, we would be much appreciative.

Edited by lukamar

Schooling options have been discussed here pretty extensively. Try the "search" function and you can find information about international schools, Thai schools with English programs, home schooling in Chiang Mai etc. Good luck!

Varee Chiangmai School (VCS) runs normal, billingual and full English Programmes. They have a website but it's in Thai. Visit the school, observe and make a decision. Other schools offer similar but are not as effective IMO.

Edited by Loaded