Buying A New Honda For The Wife

PattayaDavid

I'm looking to buy a new Honda Wave for my wife.  She really likes that god-awful pinkish color wave model.  She wants electric start and prefers a standard clutch over the Hondamatic gearbox.  I live off of Soi Khaw Noi, but I am not restricted to purchasing from this area.  I'm looking for the best deal around as there are so many motorbike shops throughout the Pattaya area.  I would appreciate your input.  I want to make this purchase ASAP.

Thanks,

Pattaya David

Are you sure it's a Honda Wave? They don't have a clutch.

Do your girl a favour and get a fully automatic scooter. Yamaha Nouvo or Mio. Honda Click or Air Blade.

They're better on so many levels they make the Honda Wave look like a dinosaur by comparison.

If she settles for a Honda Wave with gears, she'll soon tire of other girls zooming past her on the above.

A big plus on the scooters (particularly for a girl) is the foot protection from water, and the ability to carry shopping.

Don't let her choose a bike on colour alone.

Edited by tropo

I'm looking to buy a new Honda Wave for my wife. She really likes that god-awful pinkish color wave model. She wants electric start and prefers a standard clutch over the Hondamatic gearbox. I live off of Soi Khaw Noi, but I am not restricted to purchasing from this area. I'm looking for the best deal around as there are so many motorbike shops throughout the Pattaya area. I would appreciate your input. I want to make this purchase ASAP.

Thanks,

Pattaya David

Dave go to M and P on the corner of pattaya tai and road 3,.you wont beleive the selection in there and service is good and there are english speaking sales people,As for getting " a deal " its a bit like buying a car but on a smaller scale, you wont get any ( well hardly ) discount so ask for some extras, decent helmet etc,.they also have a nice cofee shop and free internet use while your wife is doing the paperwork ! Edited by mikethevigoman

What a waste of time to post on this site. There are some good information posted at times, but unfortunately you have to read through so much BS to get to it.
Ignore the idiots dave,. those who profess to know it all know sod all in my experience,ill meet you at m and p for a coffee later if you want 0831135929,.

Do your girl a favour and get a fully automatic scooter. Yamaha Nouvo or Mio. Honda Click or Air Blade.

They're better on so many levels they make the Honda Wave look like a dinosaur by comparison.

If she settles for a Honda Wave with gears, she'll soon tire of other girls zooming past her on the above.

A big plus on the scooters (particularly for a girl) is the foot protection from water, and the ability to carry shopping.

Burberry fino with 50 lights on the front ! superb :o

Thanks Tropo,

Very informative reply; I guess I was mistaken about the Honda Wave, don't know that much about the motorbikes, this is why I started the thread. We do have a seven year old Honda Sonic 125 which has a clutch. My wife handles it very well and for some reason, prefers it over the clutchless models; she hasn't actually tried a true automatic model as yet, we'll have to give them a try.

Mike, I'll check out a few motorbike shops before buying; just wanted to hear of a shop or two whereby Thai Visa members have been satisfied doing business.  Yeah, I know the one by Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road; I've never been there, but I notice it everytime I pass by it on my way to TUKCOM.

Also, I would like to apologize to the majority of the Thai Visa forum members for my initial comments.  I was just a bit pissed off after reading the initial replies to my thread.  I do stand by my statement that there is too much BS to wade through at times before you find the pertinent and informative posts.  You may not agree, but there seems to be more and more of these useless postings, more so than in the past.  We really don't need all of the sarcasm and I wish that these people would find better use of their time.  I generally don't post unless I have something to contribute; otherwise it's a waste of my time and yours.

Edited by PattayaDavid

David, why don't you rent some automatics for a few days. Once she's tried, she won't go back. Start with a Nouvo, and then try the Air Blade. Make sure your rental is new with low km's because rentals can get a bit rough after 5,000 km.

The Yamaha Mio has the same engine as the Yamaha Nouvo, and the Honda Click the same as the Honda Air Blade. A lot of girls prefer them because they're a bit smaller with a lower centre of gravity (smaller wheels) and they're true step-throughs with more space to put stuff by your feet.

I used to own a Honda Wave and rode one for several years. When I came to Thailand I started riding the automatics, and the difference is incredible.

You won't find much difference in price from one dealer to another, but I've heard a few horror stories about customer service AFTER the bike was sold...like they don't want to know you once the money has changed hands.

I can't help you out here because I still rent, but do your homework to find a friendly dealer.

Burberry fino with 50 lights on the front ! superb :o

There's an idea. The Yamaha Finos are basically Yamaha Nouvos apart from their retro exterior with lots of exiting designs and colours to choose from.

I see that the PLASTIC PIG has struck again; I hope that all 142 posts that he has made to this site weren't as totally useless has the two he made to my thread, however that is probably just wishful thinking on my part. Why does he even bother posting?

As for the truly helpful posters to this thread, it just happened that one of my neighbors had a party this evening and one of his guest rode up on a pink Yamaha Fino, the wife really liked the looks of it. We may go look at one tomorrow.

Automatics suck on gas consumption and do not have the life of span of the tried and tested Honda Wave models.

Sounds like the gal knows exactly what she wants.

And I'd say buy from any of the Mityon chain as they will service the bike at any of their stores.

David, why don't you rent some automatics for a few days. Once she's tried, she won't go back. Start with a Nouvo, and then try the Air Blade. Make sure your rental is new with low km's because rentals can get a bit rough after 5,000 km.

The Yamaha Mio has the same engine as the Yamaha Nouvo, and the Honda Click the same as the Honda Air Blade. A lot of girls prefer them because they're a bit smaller with a lower centre of gravity (smaller wheels) and they're true step-throughs with more space to put stuff by your feet.

I used to own a Honda Wave and rode one for several years. When I came to Thailand I started riding the automatics, and the difference is incredible.

You won't find much difference in price from one dealer to another, but I've heard a few horror stories about customer service AFTER the bike was sold...like they don't want to know you once the money has changed hands.

I can't help you out here because I still rent, but do your homework to find a friendly dealer.

Automatics suck on gas consumption and do not have the life of span of the tried and tested Honda Wave models.

Sounds like the gal knows exactly what she wants.

And I'd say buy from any of the Mityon chain as they will service the bike at any of their stores.

Yes, buy a Honda Wave and spend the next 5 years clunking gears to save maybe 10 baht per week on gas.

In reality, any 100 - 125 cc bike is very cheap on gas. It's just a matter of how cheap and although people claim Honda Waves are cheaper on gas (only a theory...have not seen any valid consumption tests yet), they don't say too much about the relative costs of maintaining a 'chain driven clunker' compared to an almost zero maintenance automatic transmission.

The facts are that the Honda Wave is terrible low-tech bike built to a price for the Asian (poor country) market. There's even a 100cc model for people to save a few thousand baht. Rubbing chains and clunking gears are something you could do without. After awhile you're really going to miss your clutch, especially when you change down or take off on a cold engine.

Regarding tried and tested, the Yamaha Automatic transmission has been going since the late 80's. I owned one from 1990 until 2003 and NEVER had a problem with it.

Edited by tropo

What a waste of time to post on this site. There are some good information posted at times, but unfortunately you have to read through so much BS to get to it.

I think you are getting your makes and models confused.

Just give her 50k and send her out shopping. smile.gif

Naka.

This post was not intended as a 'waste of time' I was simply pionting out that you

were getting your Makes and Models confused, as indeed you were !

Well the second sentence was tongue in cheek :o

Naka.

I think you are getting your makes and models confused.

Just give her 50k and send her out shopping. smile.gif

Naka.

This post was not intended as a 'waste of time' I was simply pionting out that you

were getting your Makes and Models confused, as indeed you were !

Well the second sentence was tongue in cheek :o

Naka.

Naka,

You are correct, I was confused as to the make and models designed more for the ladies.  Having said that, since you recognized my confusion, it would have been much more helpful if you had offered some recommendations or alternatives as others have done.  I wouldn't have minded the tongue in cheek second sentence had you offered other alternatives first.  Actually, I didn't find your remarks insulting, just not very helpful.  Being that your response and that of PLASTIC PIG (totally uncalled for) were the first posts received, I felt that this thread was going nowhere.  Anyway, no harm, no foul, let's be friends.

Pattaya David

David,

If you still want a Honda the check out the dealer on the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Nua. Bought my girlfriend a bike there when I lived in Pattaya and they even through in a Pink helmet. Excellent service department and cheap. Broke the hand brake lever and they replace it in 20 minutes for 140 baht, parts and labor and they had to take off the front faring.

Edited by Rdrokit

David, with you in mind I paid special attention to bikes while riding around Pattaya today, and in particular pink coloured bikes.

My observations:

1. Pink Yamaha Finos are very popular...I saw dozens of them.

2. Yamaha Mio comes in pink.

3. Honda Click comes in pink.

4. The pink Honda Wave doesn't hold a shadow to the above three.

There's a choice of at least 3 pink automatic bikes. I haven't seen one yet, but Suzuki may have a pink automatic too.

Notes:

The Yamaha Fino is a retro verson of the Yamaha Mio.

The Yamaha Mio is a full step-through version of the Yamaha Nouvo.

The Yamaha Mio is identical in size to the Yamaha Fino.

The Yamaha Mio, Fino and Nouvo have exactly the same sized engines (113cc) and apart from wheel size have identical components.

The Honda Click is a full step-through version of the Honda Air Blade.

All 3 of these models are about the same size and very well suited to female riders. They all sport 16" wheels.

Man, you guys have exceeded my expectations. I think that it is now just a matter of which model she chooses. I will take her to look at both the Honda and Yamaha models. I'll definitely checkout the shops at the corner of 3rd road and Pattaya Tai and 3rd road and Pattaya Nua.

Again, I appreciate the positive and informative posts to this thread. You've given me enough information to go out and find what we want. It's a shame that the thaivisa.com forum doesn't offer a SPAM filter to screen through all the useless and insulting posts that we have to zip through. I know what you're thinking, we should just ignore these infantile remarks. It's just that I hate to see them when they're directed at you; subsequently I'm definitely irritated when their directed at me or my wife.

You just can't stop yourself can you.

Go into your controls and have a look, even you, i think can work that one out.

Please feel free to post yours and my pm.

Let it go

:o

Are you guys exchanging PM's over this issue?

OP should let it go.

And plasticpig, 185 posts in 19 days? Are you going for a record or do you have something to say about everything? :D