Hi everyone, I am new here and need some assistance please.

Over 8 years ago I had a problem with the HKSBC when my credit card details were stolen and over USD5,000 was run up on the card. As I did not use the card regularly, it was a month before I got my next statement which I then realised something was wrong

I immediately informed the HKSBC in Manila where I was resident and they told me I had to deal with the bank that issued the card in Hong Kong. After many many phone calls and faxes I got no where and the lady dealing with my case gave me an ultimatum, which was pay off the amount or face the prospect of having a black mark against my credit rating for ever.

I refused as I knew that I did not use this card for the amounts shown, however I was in the city where the card details were used at the time. Which possibly did not help my case.

Now 8 years later I would like to apply for a credit card as its getting more and more difficult to travel on business without one ! What do you think my chances are if I applied for a card ? And do you think after 8 years silence, my application could start the difficult situation with the HKSBC all over again.

Thanks for your views

Interesting read, but i get the feeling the Op was worried that they would do another credit check on him and bring up the past again. And I would be interested if a dodgy credit rating ever runs out and ithe slate is wiped clean.

can see nothing in the OP to suggest the poster is resident in Thailand and I would suggest banking rules differ from country to country

If you want a credit card with hsbc, I'd suggest you talk to them about your current status and if what happenned 8 years ago would have that much of an impact now. I think in this case it would be better to be open, and also have a reason for wanting a credit card now. You could offer to keep a float available in another account, that would cover the spending on the card.

Alternatively, if you really must have credit then if you have a banking history elsewhere, try there.

If you dont need credit but just want a card to use, there are pre-pay credit cards available and virtual credit cards too, which I understand have little if any requirements on the users status.

HTH

The point is,did you pay off the CC,..or do you STILL have the debt?

Because if you paid it off,there will be no problem.

HOWEVER............if you still have the debt,its a wonder they havent chased you for it,i cant imagine what the outstanding balance will be now,with all the interest added to it over the 8 years.