Having A Baby In Pattaya

LuckyLucas

Hello again All,

We were originally going to have our baby in a hospital here in Taphan Hin (the town with fish swimming down the high street last week) but after a big kick-off with my wife's family (long story - I'm sure you can imagine) we're going to rent a condo in jomtien to be back amongst friends.

So we're having our baby in Pattaya and I'd be really appreciative of any advice or experience any members on here have. I'm a little worried about costs when they see she has a farang husband, etc. Any advice on hospitals and all that.

Kind regards LL

Hi and congratulations on your impending arrival.

I have been through this and now have a 3 month old daughter so can easily relate to how you feel. I'll try and run you through the realistic options.

When we knew we were going to have a baby, I emailed Bangkok Pattaya and Pattaya International for prices of ante natal and birth packages. The flow of emails back and forth trying to pin them down to what is an all inclusive package were hopeless and there was always something else not included, could not be quantified or to be honest, just plain lies.

The truth of it lies in the fact that neither place has any published literature, you know, real paper products and brochures, with the prices. They constantly try and rip you off for the most money possible and woe betide you if you are not on the ball here. So we gave up and went to privately see a doctor who had delivered a friend's mixed baby through Banglamung hospital.

Now Banglamung is no palace and I did not see the place as I saw the doctor privately in Naklua. Hours of waiting were endured and I had had enough. Luckily, a chance meeting with 2 couples who had both delivered at Pattaya International within the then last 2 months caused us to reconsider. We knew what they had paid, we knew they were very happy with the arrangement and they highly recommended the gyno/obs lady doctor. We were about 3 months from full term and needed something as we had already decided that we would not use Banglamung. Subsequently we were proved right as a visit there on a different matter showed a maternity ward full of people sleeping all over with and without kids and the general public all around as well with zero privacy. Like a zoo.

We interviewed the doctor at PIH and both agreed to instruct them. The price was Bt32,000 all in and a 50% deposit would guarantee the price. We happily paid. Over the next 3 months we visited every few weeks then each week, then each 2 or 3 days. These visits were not included and ranged from free, through to about Bt3000 for an ultrasound, consultation, medication etc. Ultrasound is expensive at around Bt2k or something.

Eventually we were past due with little dilation and a 3.8kg baby. We waited near 2 weeks past but a caesarian was neeed. We talked about this and the pressure for the hospital's desire to do a caesarian for the extra fees when we interviewed them and though this was totally discounted, there was some pressure in the end. I guess they did not expect me to be so well informed nor willing to argue with "authority".

The birth went fine. I was present throughout but whilst preparing my GF pre delivery, they came and thrust a form forward for her and I to sign which basically says you will pay whatever if necessary. Wrong time for that crap.

Post natal care and the room were excellent and the staff could not be complemented more. A very minor niggle was that whilst the patient could order food from the PIC (PIH's restaurant kitchen) till midnight, guests could not after 8pm or something ridiculous. I stayed there for the three days, sleeping over.

My problems came upon checkout. I had asked for a pro forma bill the night before, akin to that which decent hotels give you so that you have time to resolve any discrepancies before the check out itself. That never came and when I went to the cashier, they gave me a ridiculous figure scribbled on a torn piece of paper from a calculator printer. It was some 20k+ over what it should have been and no-one could explain what the costs were for nor give me a breakdown. After about 30 minutes, I paid what I thought and said I would contact them later. That is another story in itself.

To summise

All these hospitals are private businesses like hotels but unlike hotels, they will not tell you the full story before you sign up. They are all out to extract as much cash as possible. You must nail them down to the floor before starting anything.

The prebirth package at about 8k seems very good value. We liked this but because we couldn't get full birth costs we did not take it and went elsewhere. This was a mistake and cost us countless wasted hours and cost us far more money. You will have to check exactly what is and is not included.

The vaginal birth package was Bt32,000 which was all inclusive and included 2 nights accommodation. They tried to rip us off saying an extra Bt10,000 was for the baby's care but I pointed out that you cannot have a birth package without baby care and anyway, I had paid 50% which was Bt16,000 and not Bt21,000 (50% of 42k). I would get it in writing and not just rely on the word of your gyno as there is nothing printed apart from your deposit receipt. I was lucky that I knew 2 women who had given birth under this package.

Now the caesarian package was quoted as 52k but what is and is not included is a nightmare everywhere but you have to nail them down again before saying OK to this. It is pretty standard that the caesarian package is about 10k more than the vaginal delivery package as amongst other things, it includes an extra night in the hospital.

I have heard about nightmare 100k+ bills from other hospitals but you have to detach yourself from the baby side of things and deal with this as pre contractual negotiations for a business deal. I strongly advise that you do not have the Thai female present and you conduct the final agreements about what is and is not included alone.

To start out, I would get a Thai to write an email requesting birth costs for their daughter at the various hospitals. Obviously set up a Thai email accunt. You will not be able to read the replies but you can see the numbers and seperately, you write requesting costs for your wife, asking for total inclusion of all costs etc. get the pre birth packages prices as well.

At Bt32,000 PIH would be great but the need to have a caesarian complicated the bills and we never agreed to a high priced caesarian package. They were not prepared for that but neither was I prepared to just write off Bt20k. Looking back, you have to pin them down on the costs and get this form they give you 5 minutes beforehand out of the way when you are not under pressure. Seperate the birth from the business and you should be OK.

Finally, there are no real good ones. People will say they had a great time and paid little but if we had had a simple vaginal birth, then we would be saying the same. When things change and when they see a chance to rip you off, they go after it and you will hear cases like that in every one of these hospitals. Do your homework, act clever and make sure you get it all written down. I told the doctors I would not have agreed to it if it had been more than 32k.

The alternatives are government places or the memorial as the others are really too far away in an emergency. I think Banglamung runs into the teens all in with a bung to the doctor. Memorial I have no idea.

I am happy with what I received but not with the price they tried to put on. I should have been more exact though I thought I was beforehand. Medically they were great but when you mix profit and healthcare and then add in the lies they give you I think you have a dangerous and to be honest, digraceful combination.

Hi LL

Congrats on your impending baby.

I have 2 children, both of them born here in Pattaya. Our first child was born in Jan 2003, on advice we went to BPH for pre-natal, the birth, and post natal care. My wife had a caesarian birth (no pressure from the hospital), and we were both more than happy with the care and support provided by BPH.

Come the second pregnancy (my son was born on 3 Apr 07) we decided to check out all of the hospitals in Pattaya and Sciracha. This is what we found:

The government hospitals gave us a price of approx 15,000 baht for a natural birth, but if we gave the Dr a backhander of 10,000 baht he would take extra care of my wife. We were told this at 3 different gov hospitals (2 in Pattaya and 1 in Sciracha). Non of the gov hospitals would quote us a price for a caesarian birth.

On looking at the private hospitals, the Birth packages offered for natural and caesarian birth were all around the same price. At the hospitals we visited we were given brochures explaining procedures and costs involved.

We decided on BPH due to the fact that our first child was born there, and the fact that my wife and daughter had been taken care of so well. We paid a fee of 39,000 baht for a caesarian birth, three nights stay in hospital. Again, as with the birth of our first child we had no complaints at all as to the care given. At no point (both births) we we ever asked to pay any money up front, or told that there may be an extra cost involved. No pressure, no hassle.

Obviously every one will have a different story to tell. I wish you and partner (and your new baby) good luck and good health, I hope everything goes well for you. Please let us know how you get on.

Regards.

Thanks a million for taking the time to help with advice learningcurve - all taken on board - thank you thank you

I've made some leeway already using your's and torrenova's advice over the phone and on the web - packing up and leaving Taphan hin today and am in an internet cafe. I'll give update when I get to jomtien this week.

Thanks again and the very best wishes to learningcurve, torrenova and their families.

I would check out Phyathai Hospital Sriracha. This is my hospital of choice for everything now. Expatgaz is correct in saying avoid BHP. I will advise you to avoid all the hospitals in Pattaya.

The international manager at Phyathai hospital is Gavin. A very nice man from England. This hospital will give you the straight scoop. No lies, no pressure. Gavins mobile phone number is 089-750-0293. If you happen to call him tell him Barry in Pattaya gave you his number.

I wear contact lenses, and just had my eyes examined their. Great doctors, great facilities. Hospital looks the same as BHP. Doctors are high quality. Prices are at least 50% less.

Barry

Edited by barryofthailand

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that Bangkok Rayong Hospital is far better than Bangkok Pattaya and the prices are cheaper, so maybe visit them. I've only been there once for a consultation and found them excellent, friend gave birth there and highly recommended place. If you haven't got sorted with a obstetrician/gynaecologist and want good recommendation I should be able to get number for you, just pm me.

Congratulations LL! My wife is 'in the club' as well. For pre-natal here in Pattaya, she is consulting with Dr Supanee whose clinic is on Soi Potisan, closer to the Pattaya-Naklua Road end, almost opposite the 7-eleven. She comes highly recommended by several expats who now have healthy, growing children.

The birthing and post-natal will be in my wifes hometown and not Pattaya but once again, my expat friends agree that the BHP was the best venue for their special deliveries.

Apart from avoiding the blatantly obvious rip-off, I would not consider cost as a primary factor in determining where my progeny should enter the world. Thoroughly evaluate each establishment suggested, visit personally with your wife, ask searching questions and try and get a feel for the staff and facilities. Thorough and experienced pre- natal care will help determine if there will be any problems with the delivery and if any special needs or facilities are required.

Congratulations LL! My wife is 'in the club' as well. For pre-natal here in Pattaya, she is consulting with Dr Supanee whose clinic is on Soi Potisan, closer to the Pattaya-Naklua Road end, almost opposite the 7-eleven. She comes highly recommended by several expats who now have healthy, growing children.

The birthing and post-natal will be in my wifes hometown and not Pattaya but once again, my expat friends agree that the BHP was the best venue for their special deliveries.

Apart from avoiding the blatantly obvious rip-off, I would not consider cost as a primary factor in determining where my progeny should enter the world. Thoroughly evaluate each establishment suggested, visit personally with your wife, ask searching questions and try and get a feel for the staff and facilities. Thorough and experienced pre- natal care will help determine if there will be any problems with the delivery and if any special needs or facilities are required.

That is who I was going to recommend, clinic is a few hundred metres down from Sukhumvit on the left hand side, a little way after the market.

Dr Supanee (if it is the same one and I think it must be) has worked out of the Pattaya International for about 17 years and she was our contact who looked after us (at PIH) in the last half of the pregnancy. Very good but despite previous assurances, a little too anxious to get the knife out.

She delivered our daughter but she let herself down in the last couple of weeks when it became patently clear that she was not used to having her decision making process questioned (natural birth versus elective caesarian) and she expected her patients to just accept what she said. Perhaps she does not have very many educated prospective parents who actually know something about the process.

Dr Supanee (if it is the same one and I think it must be) has worked out of the Pattaya International for about 17 years and she was our contact who looked after us (at PIH) in the last half of the pregnancy. Very good but despite previous assurances, a little too anxious to get the knife out.

She delivered our daughter but she let herself down in the last couple of weeks when it became patently clear that she was not used to having her decision making process questioned (natural birth versus elective caesarian) and she expected her patients to just accept what she said. Perhaps she does not have very many educated prospective parents who actually know something about the process.

This is a common practice with foreigners throughout Thailand to get the price up. Again I must reiterate Phyathai hospital in Sriracha does not use these practices.

Barry