Farangs Wanted For Satuek Boat Races

gondarman

Come on guys let's get rid of that dusty image Thai people like to give us and take this chance to show them we are all fit and full of adrenaline!!!!!!!

Thamnong Srimueng (Leader of Amphur Satuek) would like to give this years Satuek longboat races a more international character. Therefore he has two nice longboats ready and invites us to take part in the pre program of the Satuek longboat races on 3rd and 4th November. The race between farang on 3rd November is supposed to be a demonstration of farang ties with Thai traditional activities and has no official status. Any farang who is able to move a paddle and swim (just in case) is welcome. There will be traning facilities, lead by a longboat sports trainer on Mae Nam Moon before the event and of course a VIP treatment for us atheletes on the event.

So don't be shy to show off your atheletic bodies and PM me to register and get all the details.

See you all at Satuek longboat races. Fun guaranteed!!!!!!!

Arthur

Come on guys let's get rid of that dusty image Thai people like to give us and take this chance to show them we are all fit and full of adrenaline!!!!!!!

Thamnong Srimueng (Leader of Amphur Satuek) would like to give this years Satuek longboat races a more international character. Therefore he has two nice longboats ready and invites us to take part in the pre program of the Satuek longboat races on 3rd and 4th November. The race between farang on 3rd November is supposed to be a demonstration of farang ties with Thai traditional activities and has no official status. Any farang who is able to move a paddle and swim (just in case) is welcome. There will be traning facilities, lead by a longboat sports trainer on Mae Nam Moon before the event and of course a VIP treatment for us atheletes on the event.

So don't be shy to show off your atheletic bodies and PM me to register and get all the details.

See you all at Satuek longboat races. Fun guaranteed!!!!!!!

Arthur

As much as I would like to compete, I am simply not in shape for it. But thanks for the heads up. I am not far from Satuek, so definately going there to have a look at this. But at a safe distance from those boats, he he

Maybe I can be in charge of the cheerleaders? :o

Arthur, if I was in Thailand you could put me down for it but as you know I'm in the UK, are you trying to fill one of those Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig boats with expats? are there that many expats in Isaan.

Enjoy the races.

No definately we are not intending to fill up two of those biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig boats. The ones we will be using are those containing 7 people as thy are using in the villages around here for their local racing events.

We already got one about filled up with guys from Norway, US, UK, Switserland, Danmark, Germany and of course the Netherlands. No need to be in perfect shape. That would spoil the fun 5555

Send in the clowns.

So what?

Clowns with the heart in the right place sure have more fun than the people they are supposed to amuse or the ones who let life go by without taking part in it.

Keep on sitting back in your rocking chair while we enjoy life with the Thai.

Where is Satuek?

If not too far, I would come to cheer; but am no longer fit to paddle.

Twenty years ago, I paddled in one of those long ones in Brunei.

The Shell Oil Company lads were making up a team, and felt that the fact that I put their product in the tank of my carwas a sufficient qualification for me to be enrolled.

Wielding that paddle was strenuous work. My arm muscles were really suffering next day.

Good luck to the younger generation.

Where is Satuek?

The Shell Oil Company lads were making up a team, and felt that the fact that I put their product in the tank of my carwas a sufficient qualification for me to be enrolled.

Wielding that paddle was strenuous work. My arm muscles were really suffering next day.

Satuek is quite a bit away from where you are in Udon Thani. I would reckon about 240 km. to the south from Udon City. Along the 219 between Roi Et and Burriram. So quite a bit for a days outing, but if you want to spend a couple of days, we have comfortable accommodation available to stay overnight.

You may have guessed, that the race we are planning is part of the program, but just for fun and therefore as strenuous as we like it to be. (which will not be pushed to the limit, I can assure you)

This area in Isaan is scattered with all kind of different festivals every season the whole year through, and we (some local expats and some guys who live in Pattaya and visit here regularly) just like to enjoy it with the Thai, not only as spectators. Taking part in it is highly appreciated by the Thai and we are usually well rewarded.

If you can not come, you will see it nationwide on all TV channels.

Cheers

Arthur

Where is Satuek?

Satuek is quite a bit away from where you are in Udon Thani. I would reckon about 240 km. to the south from Udon City. Along the 219 between Roi Et and Burriram. So quite a bit for a days outing, but if you want to spend a couple of days, we have comfortable accommodation available to stay overnight.

You may have guessed, that the race we are planning is part of the program, but just for fun and therefore as strenuous as we like it to be. (which will not be pushed to the limit, I can assure you)

This area in Isaan is scattered with all kind of different festivals every season the whole year through, and we (some local expats and some guys who live in Pattaya and visit here regularly) just like to enjoy it with the Thai, not only as spectators. Taking part in it is highly appreciated by the Thai and we are usually well rewarded.

Cheers

Arthur

Where is Satuek?

Cheers

Arthur

Hi Arthur

Darn, im off to work that time,, but put me in for next year.

Is it same time every year? as we have loong boat race here Ubon now last 2 weekends continuing this weekend.

Remeber take some picture(or i think you are in the boat) or let missus take some and of course if any of the guys going there, please post your pictures here so we (who cant join) can enjoy and have good smirk in our faces while looking them. :o

Where is Satuek?

Cheers

Arthur

Hi Arthur

Darn, im off to work that time,, but put me in for next year.

Is it same time every year? as we have loong boat race here Ubon now last 2 weekends continuing this weekend.

Remeber take some picture(or i think you are in the boat) or let missus take some and of course if any of the guys going there, please post your pictures here so we (who cant join) can enjoy and have good smirk in our faces while looking them. :o

Hi Marco

Good to hear from you on this issue. Sure I will put your name down for next year. I should have been in Ubon for this years races too, because we are sponsoring one of the BIIIIIIIIIG boats (crew 40) from Satuek who were racing in Ubon, but the first weekend could not leave the resort because full of guest and the second weekend was away to BKK for business. If everything goes right I will have my own dragon boat ready for next year so you can be there for the maiden voyage haha. I am working on it now. Traditional Eastern style with some sneeky Western design tricks to make it a real winner. Think we will be able only to race it one season, before they start hating our unbeatable boat and team hahahaha

Sure I will post the pics all of them. The heroic ones and the less successfull ones too hahahaha. No need to be secretive about failure. In this case failure will be the largest part of the fun 5555 if you understand what I mean.

Cheers

Arthur

Hi

For the benefit of those not in the area Satuk is a small town of about 25,000 with a mainly rural community it is about 40kms from Buriram but only 10kms from Buriram Airport. Sort of in the middle between Surin, Korat & Maharsarakam.

Locals are very friendly and mainly harmless! The annual boat races are always a good excuse for them to let their hair down and a good time is had by all. Enjoy :o

TBWG :D

Hi

For the benefit of those not in the area Satuk is a small town of about 25,000 with a mainly rural community it is about 40kms from Buriram but only 10kms from Buriram Airport. Sort of in the middle between Surin, Korat & Maharsarakam.

Locals are very friendly and mainly harmless! The annual boat races are always a good excuse for them to let their hair down and a good time is had by all. Enjoy :D

Attached a few pics of Floating restaurant and course. Not for the :o faint hearted

post-24662-1193392802_thumb.jpgpost-24662-1193392209_thumb.jpg

post-24662-1193392486_thumb.jpgpost-24662-1193393324_thumb.jpg

post-24662-1193392625_thumb.jpgpost-24662-1193392723_thumb.jpg

post-24662-1193392402_thumb.jpg

Used to spend a great deal of time in the area but haven't been back until earlier this year. Can't believe they've replaced the river banks (many metres high) with gigantic concrete slabs or stone. It's very unsightly, not to mention the negative impact on the environment.

edited to remove remark

Edited by sibeymai

Farang Boat Team claimed to Practice today. TBWG swears that at least 5 Farang gave it a real practice this afternoon for the Satuk Boat Races. I'll attempt to take photos of the Team on Saturday Morning. Attached is one of the Thai Boat Racing teams at practice this morning near the Chinese Buddhist Temple. Another poster expressed dismay over the stone steps. I'm new to the area, this is only my 3rd year of the races, but given a choice of watching the races from a) Moon River Floating Restaurant B) the DRY Stone steps on the Buriram Province side of the River or c) the undeveloped natural banks of the Surin Province side of the River I would say that c) is not my choice. I live two short blocks from the river in Buriram Province and we have not seen flooding, the same is NOT the case on the Surin Province side of the Moon River.

It seems the smaller size racing boat the Farang have been loaned for the race was designed for people who weigh less kilos than the average Farang. Hence the boat seems to ride a little lower in the water. All Thai Visa Forum Member should wish these brave souls good luck and their wives might wish the Farang carry large paid up life insurance policies with no exclusions from disorganized sporting events.

Photos of Victorious Farang Race Team. The three Farang in the photo WON their race today at the Satuk Boat Races. They had a Thai crew person in the front and in the rear of the boat. When last seen these three were heading down the steps to enjoy a well earned meal and libations at the Moon River Floating Restaurant. It would seem the Buriram Provincial Governor, several chiefs of Police and "V.I.P." guests were seated at a nearby table. If visa regulations in Buriram Province "tighten" in the next week we might know the culprits. It had been suggested the 3 Farangs tipped the other boat in one of the photos. Congratulations to these three chaps for actually practicing and not being afraid to swim a bit in the fast moving Moon River.

Photos of Victorious Farang Race Team. The three Farang in the photo WON their race today at the Satuk Boat Races. They had a Thai crew person in the front and in the rear of the boat. When last seen these three were heading down the steps to enjoy a well earned meal and libations at the Moon River Floating Restaurant. It would seem the Buriram Provincial Governor, several chiefs of Police and "V.I.P." guests were seated at a nearby table. If visa regulations in Buriram Province "tighten" in the next week we might know the culprits. It had been suggested the 3 Farangs tipped the other boat in one of the photos. Congratulations to these three chaps for actually practicing and not being afraid to swim a bit in the fast moving Moon River.

That looks fantastic, pitty that i could not make it,,,but next year for sure.

BTW,, are those 10+ crocks still on the loose what has escaped in Nakhon Ratchasima? :o

Photos of Victorious Farang Race Team. The three Farang in the photo WON their race today at the Satuk Boat Races. They had a Thai crew person in the front and in the rear of the boat. When last seen these three were heading down the steps to enjoy a well earned meal and libations at the Moon River Floating Restaurant. It would seem the Buriram Provincial Governor, several chiefs of Police and "V.I.P." guests were seated at a nearby table. If visa regulations in Buriram Province "tighten" in the next week we might know the culprits. It had been suggested the 3 Farangs tipped the other boat in one of the photos. Congratulations to thttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=32&t=148859&qpid=1630998#

Show Allhese three chaps for actually practicing and not being afraid to swim a bit in the fast moving Moon River.

That looks fantastic, pitty that i could not make it,,,but next year for sure.

BTW,, are those 10+ crocks still on the loose what has escaped in Nakhon Ratchasima? :D

The Crocs were on the menu at the floating restaurant. Croc casserole, aloi mak mak :o

TBWG

Hi all

A few pics of the farangs who participated today, a great if somewhat exhausting time was had by all.

post-24662-1194098989_thumb.jpg

Arthur (Gondarman) Holland, who organised event.

post-24662-1194099257_thumb.jpg

Satuk Floating Restaurant Team. Lars Norway. David aka TBWG, UK & Peter Germany.

post-24662-1194099531_thumb.jpg

Satuk team action shot.

post-24662-1194099821_thumb.jpg

Lonely out there!

post-24662-1194100585_thumb.jpg

Meuanfun Resort team prepare. Arthur Holland, Alan UK, & Rex USA.

post-24662-1194101529_thumb.jpg

Meuanfun teams turn to be lonely.

post-24662-1194101833_thumb.jpg

Ready, Steady GO!!

TBWG :o