Indian Food

BossHogg

Hello Crow Boy

I hope you mean it is easy to toast pre-made somosas at home when you say "they are very easy to make at home"

While my own attempts always taste ok, I can not make nice looking somosas - sigh.

Just like my dim sum - delicious (I think) but just a little too ugly! Har Gow that look like lumpy pillows, and Gyoza that look like -- sorry, I don't know what they look like, but they at least taste like Gyoza

thats good enough i think!. good going :o

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . Just tried Hinlay for lunch today. Lovely location . . .

Overall - quite decent. Not great, but solid good food. . .

Spot on. I would eat there more often, for that reason as well as the fact that it is a short walk from where I live, but -- insert again pet peeve already mentioned, I think on this thread -- I gotta have naan with my Indian food to be truly blissed out, and they don't have it.

p.p.s. - Best Indian meal of my life - a high-end totally-fresh Indian restaurant in Rapongi, Tokyo, about twenty years ago. All the ingredients were so fresh that I can still taste them. Expensive.

Also spot on. I lived in Tokyo for over ten years, and like you had the best Indian food of my life there (possibly unlike you, many times). Wild guess: the restaurant was Moti. But that is not the only good one. Speaking of best food experiences in Tokyo, mine include not only Indian and, of course, Japanese, but also Italian. Food in Tokyo is amazing.

. . . you could just stay in CM & try out the restaurant at the Chedi. . . . the Indian food I've had there was really good, especially the fish tikka. The atmosphere is great too. . . .

Tried it a couple of days ago, at lunch, and went for the Indian food, sharing with my wife a dish that consisted of an assortment of four dishes and, bless their little hearts, naan. It was, well, OK, alright, fine, but nothing more. Frankly, I prefer the food at Le Spice, which I know is not that popular with some other diners on this forum, but which I quite like, and that at Hinlay. That said, the food is fine and the location and atmosphere at the Chedi are superb, so I will go again.

YES - MOTI! That was the name.

Unfortunately, only ate their once. But I never forget...

I spent a year in Osaka, and one of the Italian/fusion dishes I remember was a pasta tossed with cream and salmon caviar (Ikura). Sorry to mention this on the Indian thread - but it was so good that I had to tell someone!

Back OT - I did go to the Sheraton buffet about a year ago - expensive and very fancy. Not great, but some interesting attempts at 'haute/buffet cuisine'.

The reason I mention this is that at the time there was a full Indian section on the buffet - big Indian spread - fancy fancy fancy. Nice, pleasant, ok, etc., but something not quite there - just like someone's comments on the Chedi's Indian cuisine.

The Sheraton is now something else and I don't know what they have there these days.

In Canada I make my own dosas in a big electric grinder I mailed home from India.

In CM I make my dosas from a mix that I brought back from Canada!

Hello Crow Boy

I hope you mean it is easy to toast pre-made somosas at home when you say "they are very easy to make at home"

While my own attempts always taste ok, I can not make nice looking somosas - sigh.

Just like my dim sum - delicious (I think) but just a little too ugly! Har Gow that look like lumpy pillows, and Gyoza that look like -- sorry, I don't know what they look like, but they at least taste like Gyoza

I used to make my own but there a few tricks.

1) don't over fill the samosa in the casing, there should be about 1/3 - 1/2 free space.

2) the oil has to be almost flash point

3) cook in small batches - I reckon any more than 2-3 in a fryer is pushing it unless you have an industrial model

the reason for these is simply to make sure they cook quickly and don't absorb their own weight in oil which causes them to lose their shape and go soggy which makes then disgusting.

All that said - I think that if you are getting them at the bargain price of 1baht a pop for 100 in a job lot then stick to that, no way I could make it at home for anything close to that. Makes me wonder what they are putting in them to keep them so cheap but hey don't ask no questions don't get no lies :o

Enjoy

CB

All that said - I think that if you are getting them at the bargain price of 1baht a pop for 100 in a job lot then stick to that, no way I could make it at home for anything close to that. Makes me wonder what they are putting in them to keep them so cheap but hey don't ask no questions don't get no lies :D

Enjoy

CB

cant say Ive ever seen many soi dogs in Tachilek :o