Indian Food

BossHogg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anywhere in Chiangmai i can get a balti? One of the few things i miss from the UK is a good spicey balti after a few beers. Any ideas?

Considering Balti is the name of an Indian pot and not an Indian curry (the Balti curry is an English invention)..perhaps you should be looking at the English pubs for this instead..Good luck on your search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)

Is there anywhere in Chiangmai i can get a balti? One of the few things i miss from the UK is a good spicey balti after a few beers. Any ideas?

Considering Balti is the name of an Indian pot and not an Indian curry (the Balti curry is an English invention)..perhaps you should be looking at the English pubs for this instead..Good luck on your search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)

Hi thanks for your reply.Iwouldnt say balti was an English invention really.It was introduced to England by the very large Pakistani population,probably in Birmingham.However , the Balti restaurant did come about in the uk and is hugely popular amongst all walks of life.It has evolved somewhat since the eighties to the point where a Balti house will normally serve all types of indian food in a balti.

Its almost a tradition now to go for a balti after a night on the town....i love it!!!!! :o

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)</a>

Hi thanks for your reply.Iwouldnt say balti was an English invention really.It was introduced to England by the very large Pakistani population,probably in Birmingham.However , the Balti restaurant did come about in the uk and is hugely popular amongst all walks of life.It has evolved somewhat since the eighties to the point where a Balti house will normally serve all types of indian food in a balti.

Its almost a tradition now to go for a balti after a night on the town....i love it!!!!! :o

Let me know how you get on. I love em as well. Tried Le Spice only to be disappointed, my wife liked it though. Haven't had decent Indian food since moving here from Bangkok.

Hinlay is my favourite Indian in Chiang Mai. Located next door to Flora Condominium.

Simple but excellent curry :o

Yes, but alas, they have no naan. Or didn't, when last I went. Le Spice I love, and only in part because they make their own fresh naan. They'll cut it in to quarters, though, unless you ask them not to. Oh, and they make a nice salty lassi too.

No idea, however, how close anything made by either is to a "balti".

Let me know how you get on. I love em as well. Tried Le Spice only to be disappointed, my wife liked it though. Haven't had decent Indian food since moving here from Bangkok.

Tell me about it.. A pity that I have to go to BKK or even Merka to find good Indian cuisine..

I mean, what's with that? Our India/Sri Lanka neighbors who introduced virtually all of Thai culture, music, religion, food, dress, don't feel welcome or cannot bring us the samosas we desire here in CM?

An Indian friend on Phuket who is becoming incredibly successful with tailor shops just built a 4-star hotel on Karon Beach with an Indian restaurant where I just last month ate so much I had to be literally helped back to my hotel room by a kind lady who massaged my full belly.

Life is good...

The Balti is really a way of eating than a type of food...doesnt have to be in a balti but a good vindaloo would go down a treat :D

Ah! Le Spice make yummy vindaloos, assuming you like 'em hot, spicy and tasty.

We tried that around 2 months ago and although it was OK we both tasted the heinz tomato sauce/ketchup in it..

Samosa's hey dustoff...Now that's what I'm talking aboot.

When in Bangkok try Akbar (handy to Nana Plaza :o) or Mrs Balbirs, simply sensational..

<a href="http://www.discoverythailand.com/directory...ars_bangkok.asp" target="_blank">http://www.discoverythailand.com/directory...ars_bangkok.asp</a>

post-31110-1192789091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

Tell me about it.. A pity that I have to go to BKK or even Merka to find good Indian cuisine..

I mean, what's with that? Our India/Sri Lanka neighbors who introduced virtually all of Thai culture, music, religion, food, dress, don't feel welcome or cannot bring us the samosas we desire here in CM?

An Indian friend on Phuket who is becoming incredibly successful with tailor shops just built a 4-star hotel on Karon Beach with an Indian restaurant where I just last month ate so much I had to be literally helped back to my hotel room by a kind lady who massaged my full belly.

Life is good...

Agreed Dusstoff...amazed not find more Indian restaurants around. The ingredients must be available although i cant say ive seen them for sale. hmmmmm prawn vindaloo, samosas, pilau rice, lime pickle , keema nan and of course, a flowing supply of Kingfisher beer.

To be honest ive never really enjoyed any indian food in Thailand. I must confess ive never been to India so maybe i dont know what im talking about. Love it in England though especially in Leicester where the Asian community is huge

Directions to Hinlay

Over Nawarat bridge

Turn left down Charoen Rat Road

Past Riverside

First right (I think it's Thanon Wat Kate)

Follow the road round a left hand 90 degree bend.

Next right

About 200 yards up. It is immediately before Flora Condo on the right.

The restaurant is in a small gate house in the grounds of a house built by Louis Leonowens.

Great food but Rasseru is right about the naan which is a great shame because I too enjoy dipping naan into a good curry.

Enjoy :o

Directions to Hinlay

Over Nawarat bridge

Turn left down Charoen Rat Road

Past Riverside

First right (I think it's Thanon Wat Kate)

Follow the road round a left hand 90 degree bend.

Next right

About 200 yards up. It is immediately before Flora Condo on the right.

The restaurant is in a small gate house in the grounds of a house built by Louis Leonowens.

Great food but Rasseru is right about the naan which is a great shame because I too enjoy dipping naan into a good curry.

Enjoy :o

Great idea for a new addition to the Tuskers menu perhaps ???

with the earliest balti houses being remembered as having newspapers used instead of table cloths. Indeed some of the more traditional establishments still have a plastic cover over the tables with the menus secured underneath.

Now you have to have been around for a while to remember that.

Indian food never really caught on in Australia but I remember a few fish and chip cafes that had their menus presented thus.

Edited by sceadugenga

We tried that around 2 months ago and although it was OK we both tasted the heinz tomato sauce/ketchup in it..

Austhaied, please allow me to remind you of the forum rules:

Dustoff, being a frequent poster and having invested heavily in the Heinz company by being a frequent customer of KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut among other quality food establishments who support the Heinz conglomerate has the right to use any goddamn ketchup he chooses without being subjected to humiliating, degrading comments as to his taste, or lack thereof.

I know where you live - don't make me come over there... :o

Austhaied, please allow me to remind you of the forum rules:

Dustoff, being a frequent poster and having invested heavily in the Heinz company by being a frequent customer of KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut among other quality food establishments who support the Heinz conglomerate has the right to use any goddamn ketchup he chooses without being subjected to humiliating, degrading comments as to his taste, or lack thereof.

I know where you live - don't make me come over there... :o

I love tomato sauce i swear (Heinz in particular)..but only on meat pies and sausage rolls.. :D

Err honey, let's go out for a while, maybe a year or so...

Another vote for Hinlay but be warned that unless something has changed in the last couple of months they close at 9p.m but food is indeed excellent as are prices. Chase down the lamb curry (NZ lamb owners state) which is a delight but not always available.

I love tomato sauce i swear (Heinz in particular)..but only on meat pies and sausage rolls.. :o

Well, okay, you big ole sausage-muncher you..

My tastes tend to go with hair pies which can only be degraded by the use of condiments but, to each his own, eh?

I found over many years that the best Indian restaurants in Merka were the hole-in-the-wall start-ups in newly developed areas. In fact, Tuy and I found an incredible one in the outskirts of Boston just a couple of months ago. 'Real Indian with family waiters/cooks who "Yes, yes, speaky Engrich but pleeze point to menoo item"' and we dined there for lunch/dinner for the entire time we were there. Restaurants like these, Chinese included, serve the best food until they get their license to sell alcohol. Discovering that booze is where the money is, the chef is canned in favor of a bartender and the business fails..

Yeah Honey, let's go out.. If you want, I will leave my elevator shoes at home..

I love tomato sauce i swear (Heinz in particular)..but only on meat pies and sausage rolls.. :D

Well, okay, you big ole sausage-muncher you..

My tastes tend to go with hair pies which can only be degraded by the use of condiments but, to each his own, eh?

I found over many years that the best Indian restaurants in Merka were the hole-in-the-wall start-ups in newly developed areas. In fact, Tuy and I found an incredible one in the outskirts of Boston just a couple of months ago. 'Real Indian with family waiters/cooks who "Yes, yes, speaky Engrich but pleeze point to menoo item"' and we dined there for lunch/dinner for the entire time we were there. Restaurants like these, Chinese included, serve the best food until they get their license to sell alcohol. Discovering that booze is where the money is, the chef is canned in favor of a bartender and the business fails..

Yeah Honey, let's go out.. If you want, I will leave my elevator shoes at home..

Err, i meant "let's go honey" with my lovely significant other, just in case you decided to do a Hannibal lechter on me for the tom-a-to catchup remark..

I haven't been on a date for a while though..Offer still stand big boy..?? :D:o

BTW. Merka would have to be A-mer-i-ca right ?? Naive i am ...

Edited by Austhaied

Another vote for Hinlay but be warned that unless something has changed in the last couple of months they close at 9p.m but food is indeed excellent as are prices. Chase down the lamb curry (NZ lamb owners state) which is a delight but not always available.

And yet ANOTHER vote for Hinlay. Well, 2 if I can vote on behalf of a certain excellent medical doctor of repute and fame in CM (and of Indian extraction)?

They are charming people too, at Hinlay, as are the folks at Le Spice. However the mutton/goat there is to be avoided (unless it has improved in the past month but at those prices I don't see how), as is the vindaloo. Sorry, it's mild childs' play compared with a good north London 'original'!

But to be positive, I'd like to pop in a note in favour of the tiny Bombay (between CM Gate and CM Gate Hotel, 30m off the moat on the left) for low priced, good curries, nans and chipatis, and in Bkk Mrs Balbirs and any of the Himali Cha-Cha's.

And yet ANOTHER vote for Hinlay. Well, 2 if I can vote on behalf of a certain excellent medical doctor of repute and fame in CM (and of Indian extraction)?

They are charming people too, at Hinlay, as are the folks at Le Spice. However the mutton/goat there is to be avoided (unless it has improved in the past month but at those prices I don't see how), as is the vindaloo. Sorry, it's mild childs' play compared with a good north London 'original'!

But to be positive, I'd like to pop in a note in favour of the tiny Bombay (between CM Gate and CM Gate Hotel, 30m off the moat on the left) for low priced, good curries, nans and chipatis, and in Bkk Mrs Balbirs and any of the Himali Cha-Cha's.

I thought I'd tried every Indian restaurant in CM, and reported on many in the restaurant thread, but I've never been to Bombay. Is it new?

imho, Hinlay is far and away the best, although they have a fairly limited menu of what is available on any given night. And I definitely agree with the lamb curry recommendation.

I've been to Le Spice too. Nice atmosphere and the food is well presented. They make the best lassis in CM. But the food at Hinlay is better.

Thanks Flat for the Bombay suggestion - will definitely be checking that out :o

Agreed Dusstoff...amazed not find more Indian restaurants around. The ingredients must be available although i cant say ive seen them for sale. hmmmmm prawn vindaloo, samosas, pilau rice, lime pickle , keema nan and of course, a flowing supply of Kingfisher beer.

There are a couple of stalls in the covered part of Wararot market - next to the wall that sell all sorts of spices. One of the stalls is owned by an Indian man and he has everything you will need to make Indian Food - however I have not seen a bottle of Kingfisher in Thailand. It is a pity because it is a very nice beer well hopped and suited to Indian food.

I am also surprised by the lack of GOOD Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai. There are a couple of small ones in the Anusan market that are Pakistani/Bangladesh style but they aren't that great. I suspect it is a case of not enough foreigners to support them and the locals tend to make their own.

I noticed a post from MB about adding it to the Tuskers menu.

votes:

Beef Vindaloo

Lamb/Mutton Rogenjosh

Goa style fish curry

Hmmm Friday night - beer and a vindaloo at Tuskers, followed by more beer and a late night burger at Woody's (life is good)

CB

with the earliest balti houses being remembered as having newspapers used instead of table cloths. Indeed some of the more traditional establishments still have a plastic cover over the tables with the menus secured underneath.

Indian food never really caught on in Australia but I remember a few fish and chip cafes that had their menus presented thus.

this is what i'd like to get my hands into! pure rice, fish curry, chicken/mutton varuval on banana leaf indulgence. malaysian/ south indian.

too used to northern indian cuisine, love the curries of south india; madrasi, keralite or Goa'n.

yes i am sure she finished it.

post-29436-1192854940_thumb.jpg

this is what i'd like to get my hands into! pure rice, fish curry, chicken/mutton varuval on banana leaf indulgence. malaysian/ south indian.

too used to northern indian cuisine, love the curries of south india; madrasi, keralite or Goa'n.

When I'm in Singapore i go to my favorite hawker center who do that dish for $5.00 Sing (about 120 baht) superb..

I believe something like that would do really well here.. :o

When I'm in Singapore i go to my favorite hawker center who do that dish for $5.00 Sing (about 120 baht) superb..

I believe something like that would do really well here.. :o

forgeT Singapore go half price at Kuala Lumpur Malaysia for your next visa run and be mesmerised. Check out all the different reviews on different stalls around KL. Thats where I am at right now for the next 10 days btw :D