The Tube

Jockstar

This might seem like a stupid topic. But here goes anyway. Has any one noticed how Thai people have no idea on the concept of the tube.1) The big yellow arrows on the floor telling them how to enter the train. ie. People coming off go through the middle and those boarding come in from the right and left. But NO. They seem to miss thse luminus yellow pointers and decide to stand right in m iddle when you want to get off. 2) Bang Sue and Hualampong- end of line stations and people are still in a rush to get on. I dont get it. THE train is not going anywhere till the driver walks to the other end. NO IDEA! 3) The exits. ie wher you put your plastic coin to leave, At Bangsue they have them set up so that everyone is cossing over each other. ie. you want to leave and people coming in will cross over you to get to the escalator. Why not change the exit to entrance and vice versa. Not difficult!. I dont use the skytrain so i dont know if they have the same problem. Just had to get this off my chest. Apart from that the tube is good and quick. maybe some more lines will open in the next few years.

I forgot the British call subways, "Tubes"... :o

Oh, I thought you were talking about Thai people on television....In America, "Television" is sometimes referred as "The Tube" ( from Vacum tube ).....

Don't worry, the commuter flow in the transportation system will gradually become more efficient, and confusion, congestion will decrease as time goes by there.....

But then again, this is Bangkok, Thailand... :D

Last year at the airport, just arriving from London we were standing in front of a lift waiting to go down to the carpark. When it arrived, suddenly a group of people all dressed in white, just came back from prigrimage in Srilanka or India I think just barging through us as if we wern't there!!! I had to say Oi! back behind the queue please....and they were all look at me as if I was from another planet....

I guess common sense doesn't always come to those who do good.

Last year at the airport, just arriving from London we were standing in front of a lift waiting to go down to the carpark. When it arrived, suddenly a group of people all dressed in white, just came back from prigrimage in Srilanka or India I think just barging through us as if we wern't there!!! I had to say Oi! back behind the queue please....and they were all look at me as if I was from another planet....

I guess common sense doesn't always come to those who do good.

Haha,I went to Koh Larn a few years back,on the boat from Pattaya,there was 6 Indians with us,one old lady was about 16 stone,and needed a hand to get up the ladder onto the main boat :o ,That was hilarius to watch,anyone seen a vet checking a pregnant cow out :D

But to the point when it came to the lunch that was laid on it was like free for all,like a bunch of Gannets,We found out later they were from the same country as i,and from Leicester :D So they should have known better.

... the lunch that was laid on it was like free for all,like a bunch of Gannets, ...

I know what you mean, I saw the same scenario, this was a causal buffet laid out for arriving guests, what ensued look like some shark feeding frenzy, what they didn't eat they wrapped in napkins and put it in their packs. They appeared middle eastern maybe. It was entertaining, they we're totally oblivious to the rest of the people looking at them in utter dismay ... :o

Best solution to all this pushing and shoving that I have seen was in Benghazi Airport (old terminal). Everyone fought their way to the check-in counter regardless of flight. One oppen desk. Police trying to get people to line up. Didn't work. So one policeman climbs on the check-in desk, draws his pistol and fires into the ceiling. instant hush. Instant order.

The other thing about Libyan Arab Airlines (LAA - late as always) was that your boarding pass had no seat number (too many illiterates in Libya). So it was a free-for-all to get on the planes, too. And internal flights often had people sitting in the aisles, because the flight was over-booked.

But to get back to topic - in HK the lines on the platforms are similar. And you still have to force your way off the trains as people are trying to get on. Being a large farang / gweilo means that I just march forward and ignore the complaints. But a little 'good order and discipline' would speed things up at elevators and tube-trains, throughout SE Asia. But not even Singaporeans understand this one small aspect of first world culture.

It is the same with Thai lifts (elevators for the uninitiated).

The never let people out first.

Singapore and Hongkong have lines showing people were to queue to enter the Tube (right word).

Heaven help us if we get to the Japanese system where they packers to push the last few bodies in.