My Stealth Trip To Chiang Rai

mcgriffith

On Thursday woke up early to glorious clear blue sunny skies. What, no rain? And it seemed to be a mite cooler. Perfect motorsai riding weather....SO, I jetted off to your fair city, spent 3 days (2 nights) and I have to say, I really enjoyed being there!

The ride up was marvelous and reasonably uneventful. At the checkpoints I flipped up my mirrored helmet visor, said a polite sawasdee khrap...and got a smart salute and a smile from the attending officers! Arrived in town, tried to get a room at Baan Bua Guesthouse; they were full up. So I ended up at a new place, Jansom House, which is opposite Wat Jed Yod. Spent a bit of time in the Night Bazaar, ate some excellent food, got a great massage (sore from the ride) and ended up at the Teepee Bar, listening to rock n' roll with the backpackers till the wee hours. Next day took a ride along the river both ways, and pretty much did a full recce of the city proper. I really like the vibe of this place! I met a few local residents in a watering hole or two, they all categorically gave a big thumbs up to their life there. Ate at Funny House for German, Aye's (for a Brit-style brekkie), Da Vinci's for salad/pizza, a noodle stall or 2 for Thai, etc.

I hope to return soon and explore more of what this beautiful city has to offer!

McG

McG

sounds like you had a really nice trip. Id have joined you on most of those things...EXCEPT for the ride between CM and CR :o gee....motorsai boys are tough :D or atleast they have tough behinds :D

McG

sounds like you had a really nice trip. Id have joined you on most of those things...EXCEPT for the ride between CM and CR :o gee....motorsai boys are tough :D or atleast they have tough behinds :D

Probably easier on the butt to get the bus then hire a bike here Miggy. Or bring a couple of friends and share the cost a car and driver for the day. I got a minibus and driver once for seven people for 1500B a day, that's not much more than 200B each.

we did that in Jan this year scea-ry-one :D

flew in to CR, did a few things there, Maesai, chiangkhong and the golden triangle......and then driven to chiangmai in mini van. flew out of CM to bkk.

i liked CR, was my first time there....been to CM a few times before. liked CR for its air, lots of nice fresh fruit....on the way to somewhere we stopped at fruit orchard and bought some mandarins/tangerine////whatever they are called :D

in maesai had some nice food...again.. :D everywhere I go thats a priority...if i enjoy the food....the place already wins many points :D

no more holidays planned up that way in a long time though.... :o

maybe if you northern boys are heading south...you can also let us know :bah:

we did that in Jan this year scea-ry-one :D

flew in to CR, did a few things there, Maesai, chiangkhong and the golden triangle......and then driven to chiangmai in mini van. flew out of CM to bkk.

i liked CR, was my first time there....been to CM a few times before. liked CR for its air, lots of nice fresh fruit....on the way to somewhere we stopped at fruit orchard and bought some mandarins/tangerine////whatever they are called :D

in maesai had some nice food...again.. :D everywhere I go thats a priority...if i enjoy the food....the place already wins many points :bah:

no more holidays planned up that way in a long time though.... :o

maybe if you northern boys are heading south...you can also let us know :bah:

Thanks Miggy, I was toying with the idea of going down to the embassy to vote in my former countries coming election next month.

But then I'd hate to break my hermit status. :D

• 2 weeks later...