Staying In Lad Phrao

Sanook77

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can add their perspective to my situation. I'll be visiting Bangkok for two months, and after viewing some apartments during my last stay, I've decided I'd like to stay in the Lad Phrao area. I liked the area as it seemed much quieter and pleasant to be around during the day. The only problem I had was the distance to the MRT, as I prefer to walk around, and staying near Victory Monument the last time I was only a few minutes away from the BTS.

I never actually saw this place, but it seems quite good, it's called PK Mansion. From their map I get the impression I could walk to the MRT, but I've been fooled by maps before. I was wondering if anyone who knew the place could please give me an estimate as to how far away from the MRT it is. I did look at the Greenery House too, but that did seem a bit too far away from the MRT.

I'd also appreciate some general comments regarding the Lad Phrao area. When I looked the last time I saw very few farang, but I didn't feel uncomfortable. I'm more concerned with how the area is at night, will I be safe. The additional factor I see if staying here will be taxi fares, but the less expensive accommodation combined with the taxi fares should equal things out.

So if anyone can comment on the area and even the PK Mansion I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

What Soi is PK on? I think Ladphrao is quite convenient and I never had any worries with security. I used to go running and walking at night and in the early hours and never had any problems. Central Mall at the western end and The Mall Bangkapi at the eastern end are both great for shopping as is Tawana and the IT Mall and there's Carrefour, Big C, Foodland (great for all night food) and Tesco plus Ladphrao Hospital and Chok Chai 4 area for amazing street food. Tesco and Fortune Town not too far too. Aircon buses abound. Always an amazing Western breakfast (buffet style) at the SC Park Hotel nearby too. I have car so getting around is no problem especially with the tollway,but if I was going into town to party I'd get a taxi 130Bt.

The lack of Farang was never a problem for me, but I did meet a few, and I certainly never felt uncomfortable about being around Thais, but everyone is different I suppose. I think the area is a good choice. I would say that your safety there is probably greater than in many other areas of Bangkok, but I have only once had security problems in Thailand and that was in the south Thai village where I live now. Don't miss The Mall Bangkapi on Sunday afternoons and evenings the eye candy will make you dizzy!!!

Cheers Rick

I live in Ladprao and it's a great area to stay. It's far enough out of the city centre that you don't get any of the regular tourist hassles. On the other hand it's not quite in the sticks so you can go about your daily business without groups of locals pestering you for freebies. You'd actually be surprised with the number of farangs living in Ladprao. There might not be as many as Sukhumvit but walk into any of the shopping malls and you'll see plenty of westerners.

To get to downtown Bangkok takes about 15-20 minutes by MRT. Also coming back at night in a taxi should take about the same time as long as there is no traffic. The taxi fare shouldn't be any more than 100 baht.

I'm not sure were PK mansion is but if your in the lower end of Ladprao you can walk to the MRT. If not then jump on a bus and head to the MRT. There will be plenty of buses but you'll have to check which number will take you there.

PK Mansion is on Soi 37, the Ladprao MRT Station is on Soi 21 on the other side of Ratchada, it's walkable but it's pretty far, most sane people would take a taxi.

Greenery is in Soi 64. Soi 64 is connected to Ratchadapisek at the Sutthisan intersection which also has an MRT station and the distance to this station is about the same.

Given the choice I'd prefer to live on Soi 64 and take a motorcycle taxi for 10bht to the Sutthisan station.

I'm living in Lad Phrao 35 on a temp basis (4 mo). And living pretty deep inside the soi (1 km), getting a taxi varies considerably. However, motorcycle taxis are prolific. I don't know about Soi 37, but if there is a backroad shortcuts to the Lad Phrao underground station, those guys will know it.

I stayed at a friend's house on Soi 31 for about a week and a mc taxi would weave his way over to Rachada, do a uturn and drop me at the station for Bt 10

The closer you are to Lad Phrao the better .. for my situation. Traffic is miserable pretty much all day, but there is quite a lot of shopping.

I see some great benefits here (mid age service apartment). I can usually get one of the cleaners to ferry my laundry to the shop, or tote my drinking water from the machine out front. Sometimes they accept a tip, sometimes they refuse.

But I do feel more like being in Thailand than when I walk along Sukhumvit.:o

I lived in Lad Prao for 3 years. We lived between soi 12 and 14, right accross from Carrefour. SBK Mansions was the place. Great spot as Central , chatachack, MRT , BTS etc werent very far. I'd live in that area again if i moved back to Bangkok.

I'd recommend Lad Phrao as a good area to stay in. Prices for condo's and apartments are fairl realistic, and depending on where you are on Lad Phrao there are several MRT stations, Phahonyothin, Ratchadapisek and Lad Phrao. Plenty of good places for shopping, from Bagkapi up to Central WITH foodland and the Big C in between. I think 37 is fairly close to the MRT, but Motorbike is always easy to use.

There are also some good places to eat and drink in that area, and whilst I don't live on Lad Phrao it is an area that I am pretty familiar with as I live on Phahonyothin. One thing of note though, the traffic is miserable.

Don't want to hijack the thread but i was wondering what area outside of Sukhumvit BKK farangs consider to be the best to live. By the best i mean value for money and ease of commute to Sukhumvit and other areas.

Lad Prao is obviously popular but is there anywhere better?

Don't want to hijack the thread but i was wondering what area outside of Sukhumvit BKK farangs consider to be the best to live. By the best i mean value for money and ease of commute to Sukhumvit and other areas.

Lad Prao is obviously popular but is there anywhere better?

martin, Id guess Phaholyothin area. rent is still cheaper than sukhumvit, easily reach skytrain.

Ladprao....terrible traffic for me.

(speaks she who lives in place that gets the WORSE traffic only on occasions like....1. king's birthday, 2. army march practice day :o, 3. vegetarian festival, 4. chinese new year, 5. 'chengmeng' day, 6. red cross fair week, 7. sonthi lim &co. demonstration days, 8.pptv demonstration days, 9. thammasat graduation days, 10. silpakorn graduation days, 11. halloween party at KSR, ohhh and 12. weekends after 10am oops I forgot...lucky 13. weekdays only after 12noon :D

rest of the time its just 'normal' :D

good luck :D

This moment in pk masion, the pics on the site are a bit nicer then real. Bit outdated but very doable. It is on a very busy road but standing backwards a bit. My room was on the eighth floor no problem with noise. They gave me view to city, backside could be some cooler , where you can catch a nice wind in the evening but has no view. Room, i had de luxe very common, just two glasses available, further nothing. There is a fridge and a stove. enough room space aswell the bedroom, aircos available. It s just all very sober decorated, but ok you can live with it. Bed sleeps fine. Deposit to make in front and when you get there paying the rent. electricity and water sold seperately.

In the neighbourhood lots of shops for all purpose, moneyexchanger to break your big money, ATMs, internet cafes,coffeeshop.

food cars from local people with good food !! though im short here now but have been there few times (hahaha i came 01-11 and its now 03-11). People not so used to farang and no or bad english, but very helpfull. I even managed to find with a storeowner (no capice anglais) an adapter for the thai 220volt socket to europe !!

you can walk to train takes bout 20 minutes in the busy street and from there to inner bkk. WIth taxi, well took cab to go there in the morning and it took me an hour, detour over tollway and 240 bathall incl. to get there. Gues taxi took this way coz of the traffic jam.

when i went back it took me about 20 minutes and just 87 bath.

Lad Phrao Soi 37 is just 20 min walk from the MRT station.

A ride and park to the MRT will be the best choice to avoid the awful traffic at the Lad Phrao - Rachada intersection.

Have you try the little chinesse restaurant ai soi 35/1? the rost goose is just nice.