Buddhist Wedding?

smurf384

If you're talking about a Buddist ceremony, it's pretty much the same regardless of ethnic background.

Unlike Christian wedding ceremony where you have to go to the church (well, for most people) and been granted to be husband and wife, there is no such thing in Thailand. You do not seek a permission from the wat to get married.

For most couples, Buddhist ceremony occurs on the same wedding day. After traditional wedding ceremony, the monks are invited to the place and give the new couple blessing. This could take anywhere between two to four hours including lunch offering. And that's it. There will be a wedding reception in the evening.

Hm. Thought the OP was more into the question on how he/she should behave throughout the ceremony. But this cannot be answered without knowing the background. For instance, if you have been divorced before, there is a different detail to be observed and so on. It would also be good to know what is meant by "Buddhist ceremony". There is a veryvery fine line between the Buddhist and pagan rituals... Maybe the OP also wanted to know something about this?

Edited by sutnyod

• 5 months later...

The OP does realise that a Buddhist ceremony is not recognized at law and that a marriage certificate must be obtained from the Amphur for the union to be legally binding?

Apologies if I am stating the bloody obvious, but I would hate to see another caught out by a potential scam.

I am aussie male we both previously married/divorced. She thai buddhist. O knoe there gifts expected but knoeone will tell me what is over the top & what is insulting.( how long a bit of string ) any indication appreciated

I think you are better off asking these questions on the general forum, if you do a search you'll see a lot of questions on this topic have been discussed already.

Weddings in Thailand are all about Thai culture, while there are Buddhist elements in them (and hindu and pagan and western materialism too) as in everything in Thailand but I wouldn't really use the term "Buddhist wedding".

Hello!

I have heard that there are "good" and "bad" days for a buddhist style wedding. How can I find out about that? Is there a website that shows the "good" and the "bad" days? Why are they "good" and "bad"? What are the reasons for "good" and "bad" days?

Any help is welcome. Thanks a lot !

Regards

thaivisitor2

I have heard that there are "good" and "bad" days for a buddhist style wedding. How can I find out about that? Is there a website that shows the "good" and the "bad" days? Why are they "good" and "bad"? What are the reasons for "good" and "bad" days?

Any help is welcome. Thanks a lot !

In Buddhism there is no good or bad day for anything.

However many Thai's are superstitious and won't even fart without consulting a fortune teller first, Chinese Thais even more so I think. If your future mother in law has not already consulted one and found the perfect day for you I'd consider myself lucky and pick the day most suitable day for you.

in thai tradition is Buddhism mix whit local belife

they are belife if you do some thing in a bad day you will get unlucky, thing that you wish for will not come true

that can explan why do thai people have a good and bad day. you can check good and bad day on lunar calendar or ask a monk.

I have heard that there are "good" and "bad" days for a buddhist style wedding. How can I find out about that?

Don't worry, your relatives will see to it that everything happens at a good day.

What are the reasons for "good" and "bad" days?

I was told it has something to do with both numerology and astrology.

Actually, Thais are quite moderate about that. Try in Burma - LOTS of superstition there. Almost nothing is done without proper consideration of the day and time of day.

Well, I know that my relatives will suggest me a day ... But if I suggest a day and they deny it with the saying "that is a bad day" I would like to know about the reasons. And that is why I look for some information.

I know about a thai website called "www.weddingsquare.com". But I can't read it. Is there something similar available in English?

Well, I know that my relatives will suggest me a day ... But if I suggest a day and they deny it with the saying "that is a bad day" I would like to know about the reasons. And that is why I look for some information.

I know about a thai website called "www.weddingsquare.com". But I can't read it. Is there something similar available in English?

Try here - it is available in both Thai and English (upper right corner)

We got married on March 25th because it was a "Good day" according to my mother-in-law. I couldn't understand why? but out of respect, I did what ever the family desired for their daughter. As for over the top gifts? Don't give something they would be ashamed to wear in public for fear of spreading rumors. The rumor machine is allready working. So be "thoughtful" in the gifts. Have your wife and her family do everything. Ask her how much? Then have her keep within that budget. Just you being supportive and approving in her choices and your kind manner will be enough to help you gain trust within the family.

@sutnyod

thanks, interesting website :D

but i could not find anything about wedding/marriage days :D

Oh there is. But it costs you a 100 Dollars. A really expensive way to find out, no?

But somewhere to the right there is a sub-link called match-making. So this is based on the combination of your birth dates. I agree, however, that there is only little on the site in terms of explanations...

BTW: I got stuck at 'know your death :o