Anyone Gone To Laos For A Visa Run?

Wizzard of Oz

I'm off to do my first visa run in Laos in a few days (went down to Malaysia the last couple of times).

Just want to check this seems about right for anyone who has done it.

- Get a flight to udon tahni cuz it's cheaper at around 2k baht inc tax (the flights are only in the evening with NokAir, maybe cuz i left it to the last minute)

- When I get there, get a mini-bus to Kong kaen in Laos

- A Laos visa is $40 (need to bring USD and photo copy of passport and photos)

This is the bit I'm not sure about

I need to get from Kong Kaen to Vientienne as I understand it. Am I just following other visa runners?

If my flight is at 10pm on wed, I guess I am going to end up not sleeping since it takes a few hours to get from udon thani to vientienne. Will I be just hunting down the thai embassy on Thursday morning so I can lodge it in time?

If I lodge it on Thursday morning, can I assume I will get it back on friday and can get a flight back then?

Cheers for any info

I'm off to do my first visa run in Laos in a few days (went down to Malaysia the last couple of times).

Just want to check this seems about right for anyone who has done it.

- Get a flight to udon tahni cuz it's cheaper at around 2k baht inc tax (the flights are only in the evening with NokAir, maybe cuz i left it to the last minute)

- When I get there, get a mini-bus to Kong kaen in Laos

- A Laos visa is $40 (need to bring USD and photo copy of passport and photos)

This is the bit I'm not sure about

I need to get from Kong Kaen to Vientienne as I understand it. Am I just following other visa runners?

If my flight is at 10pm on wed, I guess I am going to end up not sleeping since it takes a few hours to get from udon thani to vientienne. Will I be just hunting down the thai embassy on Thursday morning so I can lodge it in time?

If I lodge it on Thursday morning, can I assume I will get it back on friday and can get a flight back then?

Cheers for any info

Khon Kaen I believe is in Thailand.

Take the bus from Udon to Nong Khai.

Tuk Tuk to border.

Get Lao visa at border.

Take pick up to Vientian

If you want to do your visa in Vientiane, you must first go to Nong Khai.

You go out out Thailand by going on the bridge. You can pay 20 baht for a minibus. It will cross the bridge and you will arrive at the Laos border.

You can get your Laos visa at the border. Prices are normally between 35$ US and 42$. Each country is different and Canadian pay the most! (42$). You can also pay is Thai baht. You need a picture for your visa and fill a form.

After, you pay a small entry fee. I believe it's 10 baht per person if you are walking. You can cross in car too but I won't recommend it. Laos police are spotting Thai cars and they like to stop you...if you understand what I mean.

Once in Laos, you go to the Thai embassy between 9 am and 12 (if I remember) with your papers. Depending on the visa required, you might need your marriage cerficate, the Thai ID of your wife, her Ta bian ban, some pictures, etc. There are plenty of posts on the subject.

You will get your visa the NEXT WORKING DAY between 1pm and 3pm. Price is 2000 baht for a non-immigrant visa.

Verify the Thai and Laos holidays not to get stucked for 5 days like it happened to me last time I went there....

Take the bus from Udon to Nong Khai.

Tuk Tuk to border.

Get Lao visa at border.

Take pick up to Vientian

Any idea of approx cost and time taken for a tuk tuk to the border from Nong Khai?

And any idea of approx cost of a pick up to Vientian from border? And by pick up, do you mean a mini-bus?

You mean Udon Thani to Nong Kai to Vientienne.

Kong Kaen is nowhere close!

Cheers. Good that I got that cleared up or I would have ended up somewhere else

If you want to do your visa in Vientiane, you must first go to Nong Khai.

You go out out Thailand by going on the bridge. You can pay 20 baht for a minibus. It will cross the bridge and you will arrive at the Laos border.

Where am I catching this mini bus from that is 20b? Did you mean Nong Khai to the border?

You can get your Laos visa at the border. Prices are normally between 35$ US and 42$. Each country is different and Canadian pay the most! (42$). You can also pay is Thai baht. You need a picture for your visa and fill a form.

After, you pay a small entry fee. I believe it's 10 baht per person if you are walking. You can cross in car too but I won't recommend it. Laos police are spotting Thai cars and they like to stop you...if you understand what I mean.

Once in Laos, you go to the Thai embassy between 9 am and 12 (if I remember) with your papers.

You will get your visa the NEXT WORKING DAY between 1pm and 3pm. Price is 2000 baht for a non-immigrant visa.

Thanks for the info. That was hugely helpful

I wrote "Thai embassy". Someone told me it's the Thai "consulate". Sorry for any confusion. I was there 2 weeks ago and can tell you it's on the road in between Patuxai and That Luang. All tuk tuk drivers know where to do a Thai visa...bargain the price! They normally ask much more for foreigners...

The last three years I've driven to Lao at least 20 times:never a problem with the Lao Police,neyer a fine,had a small accident last year,resolved by the Insurance,no Police intervention,routine all the way.

Personally find the Police in Lao much more triendly as in Thailand;they don't smile so much,they don't try to cheat you so much! :o