Xpsp2 Speedfan And...

kayo

Howdy doody.

Klown has lost his monitor for his Compaq laptop. Well, it's faded into obscurity.

I've used Speedfan, only to monitor temperatures (and nothing else) since about 9 months now, with no problems.

However, sometimes when my laptop has overheated, the speedfan will reduce something and my monitor temporarily goes obscure.

NOT black, entirely. Everything is still on screen, but barely visible. Infact, only visible when I reflect direct light off the monitor, or something. It's as if all contrasts and brightness were reduced to minimum.

Today, for some bizarre reason, I activated speedfan, needlessly. My laptop was running fine, and getting a chilly breeze in through the window to keep it cool.

Nevertheless, when the program started up my monitor went into deep dark obscurity again.

Only this time, no matter what I do, the screen brightness won't return.

I cannot find anything that suggests a menu for screen brightness/contrast, etc....

With a lot of squinting, and staring at my screen from various angles,

I have tried the following to get it back.

Closed Speedfan.

Re-opened Speedfan.

Removed Speedfan (uninstall)

Checked display settings.

Checked monitor status, drivers, etc..

Rebooted laptop, in normal, Vga, and safe modes.

When all else failed, I tried a system restore (which was last set at yesterday, thankfully).

I thought the system restore would do the trick, but alas...

I don't know what to do!!!

(PS: I have read the thread entitled, "Help! my monitor goes blank" but I'm hoping I've missed something here.)

Edited by kayo

kayo, have you try to connect an external monitor? If not do that to find out the laptop works fin except the screen!

If do so, I think is a problem with cable from the MB to the screen or the electronic on the screen itself. I don't think that the backlight bulbs having a problem because the screen is totally black, isn't it?!

Where you, in BKK? if so I can suggest a Servce company for th repair.

• 1 month later...

Sh1t.

Despite my earlier posts, or maybe because of them, I cam e looking at some of my older threads here. And here's one that you replied to that I never looked at again.

Reimar, thank you for responding.

Just to let you know, the laptop in question is working fine now.

At the time thought, it was started up every day, once in the morning, once in the evening but with no luck.

I could have tried to connect to an external monitor, because the screen was there, but just extra-ordinarily dim, faded. so with a lot of squinting, and looking at the monitor from the right angle and with the right lighting, it would have theoretically been possible to get to the control panel display property menu to extened the screen onto another monitor, but frankly I didn't have the heart, the patience for this at the time.

About a week later, when I had a day off, I was prepared to take the time to try to fix the problem.

And so I booted up.

And the first splash screen or boot screen with the wonderful Compaq logo came on in full brightness and colour.

Just. like, That. It was fine again.

I don't know why, or how.

No changes had been made.

I don't dare use speed fan again though. Not until I'm more knowledgable.

By the way, I'm in the uk.

Edited by kayo

I don't dare use speed fan again though

in my case there were problems too with speed fan. after loading and without changing any settings my good old spreadsheet that runs under DOS is freezing. since a few days (on a different computer) speedfan does not load completely, hangs and i can only shut the program down with the task manager. <deleted>?

I don't dare use speed fan again though

in my case there were problems too with speed fan. after loading and without changing any settings my good old spreadsheet that runs under DOS is freezing. since a few days (on a different computer) speedfan does not load completely, hangs and i can only shut the program down with the task manager. <deleted>?

If your pc happens to be a Dell laptop, you might try i8KFanGUI instead. It works quite well. I never got SpeedFan to work right.

If it's not, disregard my advice. :o