Toyota Dashboard Warning Signs

womble

I took my 2003 sport cruiser into service a couple of weeks back, I pointed out that a certain light kept coming on whilst driving and could they fix this. After the service I notice that the handbrake on light (exclamation mark on dash) comes on more and more regulary. Now it is on a lot of the time I drive, particulary when excellerating.

I called up to ask what this meant and they guy said nothing just faulty light.

I don't believe his answer as the light has started coming on progresively more and more and always when excelerating etc.

Does anyone know what it is??? Cllutch, brake pads maybe?

If one of you could tell me what it is, maybe I could tell this service center what is is...........

Useless pricks!

The parking brake has absolutely nothing to do with the hydraulic braking system. It is a simple mechanical cable from the hand brake to the drum brakes on the rear axle. I don't know where the switch is but that is no doubt where the problem is. My last 2002 Toyota 4X4 had all sorts of electrical glitches and no doubt that's all that is, a glitch. If the truck rolls freely, don't worry about it.

light in dashboard mostly not "say nothing"..

a case that happan to me 3 weeks ago:

the car has been in service "isuzu".

I drive for 1 week..and then in the middle of the road the light comes up ok I drive little bit more (it wasnt a long trip so I continued 1 km further) when I stopped the car I looked what was the reason the light came up , to make it short-the mechanics forget to close the pipe where the brake fluid running and I had to take off the wheel and close it (make it stronger with a tool ) and add more brake fluid that ran out while I was driving.

it cound have been worst and I could had lost my brakes while I'm driving (!!)

*check if u see something wierd going on under the car and open the front of the car to see whats going on.

If you've got it the handbook will tell all :o Otherwise:-

1. Low fluid.
  2. Worn front pads (if the vehicle has wear indicators)

I think it's time to change garage.

Absolutely, these idiot lights are there for a reason, only an idiot ignores them. Of course it could be a loose wire grounding out on the chassis.

Edited by Crossy

Its the brake pads.

I've had this problem before and am having it again now.

Change pads at service.

They should have picked it up.

Change service company.

Cheers

Absolutely correct,, i had same problem with my Zafira, hand brake light keep turning on and off and when i took it to Service guys in there told me that there is indicator what warns driver when or if brake pads become too thin.

no problems after pad's changed.

but worst thing is even Zafira owners hand book dont mention anything about that,,(Eng nor Thai) :o

The strange thing is, is that that didnt replace them.

A few weeks ago they replaced my braking pads when it wasnt really necassary yet.

I could of driven on for another 6 months with those pads.

Most of the time they replace parts in advance.

Well at least on my cars.

If you go to get your car serviced the least thing you could expect is that they check the brakes.

Right now I know it's the brake pads......

We have asked two different people at the garage and they both say the light means nothing.

We will go there today and tell them that the light means brake pads......

Only in Thailand would the service center ignore the light warning and say it's a loose connection.

Honestly you would think you culd trust toyota's own service center to know what the light meant.

Honestly you would think you culd trust toyota's own service center to know what the light meant.

Not much use to you, but...

I have rate the service from the Toyota garage next to Sukhumvit 43 to be excellent.

Cheers

Most of the time they replace parts in advance.

Well at least on my cars.

Thats good isn't it?

Cheers

The parking brake has absolutely nothing to do with the hydraulic braking system. It is a simple mechanical cable from the hand brake to the drum brakes on the rear axle. I don't know where the switch is but that is no doubt where the problem is. My last 2002 Toyota 4X4 had all sorts of electrical glitches and no doubt that's all that is, a glitch. If the truck rolls freely, don't worry about it.
If you've got it the handbook will tell all :o Otherwise:-

1. Low fluid.
  2. Worn front pads (if the vehicle has wear indicators)

I think it's time to change garage.

Absolutely, these idiot lights are there for a reason, only an idiot ignores them. Of course it could be a loose wire grounding out on the chassis.

Ignore the comments of these 2 people at your peril.

Also, how many people apply the handbrake when parked on level ground? It's unnecessary & only stretches the cable. When you really NEED the "emergency" brake, it doesn't work properly because the cable is stretched.

I just can't imagine the parking brake warning light being the same light as a brake fault. There MUST be two separate lights. Isn't there?

Read what I wrote up here.. in my case IT WAS THE BRAKE WARNING (!).

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was replying to the thread;

EXACT QUOTE;

"After the service I notice that the handbrake on light (exclamation mark on dash) comes on more and more regulary."

END QUOTE.

I just can't imagine the parking brake warning light being the same light as a brake fault. There MUST be two separate lights. Isn't there?

Actually it is very often (even usually) the same light :o

The light comes on when you apply the parking brake, if it come on at any other time it could be fluid, pads, or a leak in one of the brake circuits.