Mail Boxes Etc. - I'm Angry ...

rainman

On June 24th, I rented a post box at Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE) in Sukhumvit and pre-paid for 4 months (until October 24th, tomorrow). Everything went quite well until I called yesterday morning to check if a package I was waiting for had already arrived. They told me yes, there's a package in my box. So this morning, I went down to pick it up, I open the box and guess what? No package inside. I asked the guy behind the counter and he said that I had already picked it up. Huh? So I went home, thinking something must have been wrong and he checked the wrong box earlier.

I then took a look at the contract and noticed that my box expires tomorrow. So I called MBE again and asked them if I could renew my box for another 4 months. It went something like this:

MBE Guy: Umm ..one moment sir, I'm not sure.

Me: Okay.

MBE Guy: You already paid for your box until next year, Mr. Chris.

Me: Chris? My name is not Chris.

MBE Guy: Yes, your box #xxx is rented by Mr. Chris since last month sir.

Me: So you're saying my box is someone else's even though I paid for it?

MBE Guy: One moment sir...

MBE Guy: Your contract is already finished.

Me: When does my contract finish?

MBE Guy: Your contract finished already on October 24 sir.

Me: Which is tomorrow?

MBE Guy: Um...yes sir. Is already finish tomorrow.

Me: So why do you give my box to a Mr. Chris since last month if I paid for it until tomorrow?

MBE Guy: We dont have many box sir and I think you don't want anymore.

MBE Guy: You can come tomorrow and speak to my manager if you want a different box.

I decided to say goodbye and hung up the phone. I paid several thousand Baht to rent this box until tomorrow, yet they give it to someone else since last month. Unbelievable! I have been waiting for important mail for a few weeks and wondered why it never arrived. The package that was in there yesterday wasn't inside today, so that means someone else now has my package worth several hundred dollars, plus shipping fees.

I'm definitely complaining to the franchise about the service of this particular store. :o

They have definitely broken the contract, if not the law (not sure what the mail laws are like here?).

You should go in there and at least demand they contact the guy who did pick up your package and get it back. If they can not get it back they should have to pay for the package.

Plus they owe you a months worth of box rent back.

Let us know what happens when you go and talk to the manager.

They have definitely broken the contract, if not the law (not sure what the mail laws are like here?).

You should go in there and at least demand they contact the guy who did pick up your package and get it back. If they can not get it back they should have to pay for the package.

Plus they owe you a months worth of box rent back.

Let us know what happens when you go and talk to the manager.

Take a tourist policeman and they will stumble over themselves to rectify this .Up to your own creativity to get the Tourist (not regular) police. I have had both telephone and electricity turned off two separate occaisions at least a week before the due dates. To quote someone.."If they were any smarter we wouldn't be able to live here"

The person who took your package has no entitlement to it. The company has completely screwed up but that individual is surely obliged to return it. Mistakes do happen, and I've had other people's mail put in my box on a couple of occasions, but I've noticed the name before opening anything. One was misaddressed to my box number, but the people in the post office recognized the name when I pointed out the error.

I wouldn't let this go easily. They should definitely be looking out for the person when they next show up.

You should also leave a note for the Mr Chris who got your mail. With any luck, who knows, the kidness of strangers may mean you get your posts back?? You might also care to mention as well in the note, and to the manager that you'll get the police involved if the mail isn't returned within a week.

Believe we have less than all the facts. He called the the person and it was said that there was a package in the mailbox he asked about. It may well have belonged to the "new owner" if he had been using since last month and not have been the package rainman was expecting. Unless they keep mail records (which I would expect them to do) there is likely no way to prove this one way or the other. But agree allowing access by another person to a rented box should be illegal and subject to police action.

Has that happened at MBE Phrom Pong branch, tall guy in late 20s with hardly any English?

Here is my conversation with him:

me: Do you have Fedex letter for me?

mbe guy: Please wait, I will check.......We have no package for you.

me: Can I talked to Khun X?

mbe guy: This is me.

me: According to Fedex, you signed receipt for that letter at 11.23AM today.

mbe guy: (confusion/loss of face moment)

me: maybe you can check again

mbe guy: ok wait.........We have no package for you.

me: Let me call Fedex again and I will let you talk to them.

mbe guy: (talks to Fedex in Thai)

mbe guy: OKOK, I signed it but we have no package for you.

me: what happened to the package?

mbe guy: (silence) Maybe you can come back later.

me: OK, I will come back in two hours.

He ultimately found the letter. I prepaid it for one year but stopped using it after a couple months. Very likely he felt free to rent my mailbox again right after he discouraged me from using it.

Edited by daxbr

You know what, he is in his 20's and tall ...and it is the Phrom Pong MBE center. Same guy, I guess.

My wife called him again after I wrote this thread and asked him what was going on there. He said that the MBE was closed today and that I should call again tomorrow. So we drove down and guess what, it was open. I figured I'd let her speak and she then asked him why he told her it was closed and he said he never said that. Yeah right.

And suddenly, after complaining and asking for the manager, he pulled the package I was waiting for from under the table and handed it to me. 2 days ago he said it was there, then when I checked it wasn't and today it's there again? Either he's trying to steal from people and renting the boxes twice to make some extra money or I don't know what he's doing. Either way, its very bad.

And even today, he claimed that my contract had already expired. Even though it says it expires on the 24th (tomorrow) and I paid for it.

We walked out and he came behind us asking if we would like to extend the box for another 4 months. Huh? I thought he rented it for this Chris guy already? So he's trying to yet again sell it twice even after he's busted? I told him we would be back tomorrow to speak with the manager.

What's funny is that my key is still working, so I guess this Mr. Chris and me now have the same 2 keys and share the same box.

Edited by rainman

We simply dont get any mail at our home anymore...nuttin, all goes missing, even bills, worthless crap and more important stuff all goes MIA.

Missus has got up the mail people several times, they even came and changed our street address to see if that would make a difference...nadda..

Was thinking about a box, one at the Gov PO...wonder if any different thought in reality

Only marginally related, but I mailed a very important letter registered mail from MBE Pattaya 2nd road near Royal Garden and it never even made it to a Thai post office, much less the US. I will never give MBE in Thailand one more satang. It is MBE's job to get it that far, I guess pocketing the registration fee was too much tempation for them. Whatever international rep they might have, ignore it for Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

That's the reason why I rented a mailbox in the first place, to get important mail and not have to worry about it. I don't want important documents folded and stuffed into the little mailbox in my soi. Now I'm looking at renting another mailbox closer to me. It's not a well known brand or franchise like MBE, but probably they're more reliable.

Will update this tomorrow on how the talk with the 'manager' goes. Maybe it's the same guy, just wearing a different shirt. :o

Was thinking about a box, one at the Gov PO...wonder if any different thought in reality

I've had a real PO box in Samut Prakan for about 14 years and I've never had anything go missing. They leave a note in your box about a month before a renewal is due and they give you a grace period afterwards.

First of all it was just a convenience when we moved into the area. But even after we bought our house, I kept the box because I couldn't be bothered giving everybody a new address and it's also one less step for things to go missing. I am a fan of the Thai postal service - hardly a problem with them over a good many years.

I prepaid it for one year but stopped using it after a couple months.

But how can they know you've stopped using it? It's supposed to be there for any mail that is sent to you. You may not receive any mail for months, so why should that entitle them to rent it to anyone else? Are you supposed to receive one letter per day or per week to show that you are still using it and to keep the agreement valid? It just doesn't make sense. :D

Missus has got up the mail people several times,

Perhaps the reverse would help?

:o

I've had a real PO box in Samut Prakan for about 14 years and I've never had anything go missing. They leave a note in your box about a month before a renewal is due and they give you a grace period afterwards.

First of all it was just a convenience when we moved into the area. But even after we bought our house, I kept the box because I couldn't be bothered giving everybody a new address and it's also one less step for things to go missing. I am a fan of the Thai postal service - hardly a problem with them over a good many years.

I am a fan too. Knock on wood, but have had nothing but exemplary service ingoing and outgoing for years. I understand that some people don't share that experience.

Yeah it is owned by UPS or Fed Ex so do this:

Threaten to sue them in somewhere you can. If a small claims court, say like the UK, then you have fixed fees. You may not be able to do it legally but you should be able to get it in front of a judge.

Claim XYZ per hour, a few hundred $ each hour. Then anything else you can think of. If it was mail lost from the UK Eu or USA you may be able to get them for mail fraud ?

Badger them for anything, tell them you will put it in the Bangkok Post, Pattaya Mail etc.. Hit websites, quote this one, 50,000+ members. I think you can be compensated but by the top people, not the Thai monkeys.

MBE is a UPS® company. The UPS Store® and Mail Boxes Etc®. centers are independently owned and operated by franchisees of Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. in the USA and by its master licensees or their franchisees outside of the USA.

MBE Thailand was founded in 1993. The master license also includes the countries of Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. The master license is operated by Peacecore - Living Consortium Limited and its managing partner is Paramy Sawangrut.

Contact: Paramy Sawangrut - Peacecore - Living Consortium Limited Address: SM Tower, 23rd Floor 979/65 Phahonyolthin Road Samsennai, Phayathai Bangkok, 10400 Thailand Phone: 66-2-298-0678 Fax: 66-2-298-0680 E-mail: [email protected]

Edited by Tung_Thaid

A reference to the organ grinder not the the performing money on the organ. Get a grip on things eh ?

If he wants satisfaction, go rattle the cage back in the western world as we know here that there is a mere microscopic chance of getting a fair settlement. Back in the west, even at a distance, they may feel a settlement is better than a negative marketing campaign.

I don't think complaining to the head of UPS/MBE stores in Bangkok, Thailand would help anything. I'd probably be lucky to get a response if by chance anyone that cares may happen to read it, otherwise it'll probably go straight to the bin. I'm not looking to drag this to a court or anything, it'll likely give me more of a headache than anything else. My expenses were minimal anyways ..maybe 300 for the taxi. I'm just happy that I got the package I needed.

Still angry that I obviously didn't get what I paid for, but I'll talk with the manager about that tomorrow. I've never seen anyone else than that guy working there, though ..so I wonder if it's not just someone who's daddy opened him a UPS/MBE store and he has no idea how to run the place.

What bothers me is that they're obviously ripping people off, not just me but others as well. And the mail was first in my mailbox, then not, then he handed it to me when I came to the store personally. Others even in this thread have had the same thing. I'm guessing he keeps the mail to himself that people don't specifically ask for and hopes to get a few things for free or even some money.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think I still have a deposit with them too. I'll be sure to pick that up..

I went to MBE on Ratchada to send a small packet with a pair of earrings to the UK. I paid my money (1000 baht or so) but 2 days later they called saying that EMS (who they pass the packages to) will not mail jewellery. Fair enough I guess, wish they had known that at the time. I went back to get my packet and money, but 300 baht "registration" was retained as we had begun using their service. Me and wife voiced our displeasure and were told to come back to see the manager, who never seemed to be there. Fair practise?

I don't think complaining to the head of UPS/MBE stores in Bangkok, Thailand would help anything. I'd probably be lucky to get a response if by chance anyone that cares may happen to read it, otherwise it'll probably go straight to the bin. I'm not looking to drag this to a court or anything, it'll likely give me more of a headache than anything else. My expenses were minimal anyways ..maybe 300 for the taxi. I'm just happy that I got the package I needed.

Still angry that I obviously didn't get what I paid for, but I'll talk with the manager about that tomorrow. I've never seen anyone else than that guy working there, though ..so I wonder if it's not just someone who's daddy opened him a UPS/MBE store and he has no idea how to run the place.

What bothers me is that they're obviously ripping people off, not just me but others as well. And the mail was first in my mailbox, then not, then he handed it to me when I came to the store personally. Others even in this thread have had the same thing. I'm guessing he keeps the mail to himself that people don't specifically ask for and hopes to get a few things for free or even some money.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think I still have a deposit with them too. I'll be sure to pick that up..

Complaining to the local operator might help - but complaining to the headquarters is more likely to have an effect because licensees agree to maintain the good image of the company - and if something casts a negative light on MBE, HQ will investigate.

You know what, he is in his 20's and tall ...and it is the Phrom Pong MBE center. Same guy, I guess.

My wife called him again after I wrote this thread and asked him what was going on there. He said that the MBE was closed today and that I should call again tomorrow. So we drove down and guess what, it was open. I figured I'd let her speak and she then asked him why he told her it was closed and he said he never said that. Yeah right.

And suddenly, after complaining and asking for the manager, he pulled the package I was waiting for from under the table and handed it to me. 2 days ago he said it was there, then when I checked it wasn't and today it's there again? Either he's trying to steal from people and renting the boxes twice to make some extra money or I don't know what he's doing. Either way, its very bad.

And even today, he claimed that my contract had already expired. Even though it says it expires on the 24th (tomorrow) and I paid for it.

We walked out and he came behind us asking if we would like to extend the box for another 4 months. Huh? I thought he rented it for this Chris guy already? So he's trying to yet again sell it twice even after he's busted? I told him we would be back tomorrow to speak with the manager.

What's funny is that my key is still working, so I guess this Mr. Chris and me now have the same 2 keys and share the same box.

After that exchange, I took a skytrain to Nana Post Office and got mailbox there. Annual fee is less than B200 and never a problem with missing mail.

Sporadically, I also use it for Fedex deliveries. Fedex does not deliver to PO Boxes but they call for alternative delivery address or pickup at their office with passport.

In my opinion, MBE is overpriced and specifically Phorm Pong Station office should be avoided.

Edited by daxbr

M.B.E. ( Mail Boxes Etc. ) sucks. don't use this company, I had things stolen from my box.

The items stolen were acually letters which were sent from UK by registered mail !

On checking at the local post office using the tracking number I was informed that the mail had been delivered

but MBE says 'no see'. When I ask for the boss's telephone number 'no hap', yea right !

Forget this outfit ... at least in Thailand !

Naka.