Another Great New Connection By Airasia Indonesia....

THAILIBAN

Flying to Indonesia from Thailand was a quite expensive experience in the past, and THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL being the only carrier offering non-stop-flights to either Denpasar (Bali) or Jakarta.

though Garuda flies directly too, but not non-stop, making a time-consuming stop in Singapore (and I am pretty sure most people - including myself - would want to avoid too many touch-downs and take-offs with them after their nasty Yogyakarta-Experience last year).

Budget-flights to Indonesia did not exist until now. the reason might have been that it is quite a long and fuel-consuming ride of 3.20 Hours to get to jakarta, and even 4.00 hrs to Bali.

but finally, such connection exists. AirAsiaIndonesia is flying non-stop to Jakarta, starting 1st of November (hopefully Bali will follow, which for sure would attract a lot more leisure-travellers).

Well thats the good news, the big surprise is: Almost NOBODY in Thailand is aware of this new connection, as it is not advertised in any way by THAI AIR ASIA on the THAI website.

its only advertised heavily on the Indonesian website (both in the Bahasa Indo and English version).

It makes me wonder how those three existing different Air-Asia's are working together, or if there isnt any kind of co-operation....

no wonder, the fare to and from Jakarta in November is still extremely cheap, almost all week-days are to be had at their promotional fare of 380 Baht plus Taxes (remember, this is a 3.20 hours flight!).

so far, the cheapest was Garuda, but costing u more than 10.000 Baht incl. Taxes....

okay, just wanted to contribute these news in hope it may help someone to save money on his travelling-plans... :o

Edited by THAILIBAN

I wish that these cheapies would include Manila in their schedules also

Indeed I was always wondering why ThaiAirAsia did not yet start flying to at least Clark/Angeles, its 3 hours from BKK. From KL they already fly there, though its a a slightly longer distance and almost 4 hours flight time.

One reason might be that all those new Chinese destinations are more profitable, and that CEBU PACIFIC, which (and that as a budget airline!) has the youngest airfleet in the world, is already plying this route.

CEBU PACIFIC has frequent promotion-offers where the one way to BKK is 1.499 or 999 Pesos (about 1120 / 750 Baht), it even was 1 Peso sometimes, plus Taxes.

Cebu Pacific is reliable, allows 20 KG of check-in luggage and allocates seats.....

did use them domestic in the Phils all the time.....

• 3 weeks later...

I shall be flying that route soon 3,430 baht return is a great deal. Flight arrives into Jakarta close to midnight but for the price l can live with that.

The route vanished from the Air Asia site for a couple of weeks, l heard there was a problem with the landing rights but all solved now and booked online as usual.

• 3 weeks later...

A short report for those interested in that destination:

was on the maiden flight BKK-CGK on 1st of Nov., only about 50 PAX, probably due to the fact that not much promotion had been done in Thailand until that date.

arriving in JKT at midnight is not that convenient and means:

- no money-changers open

- no more public transport to downtown, so u depend on the sometimes doubtful TAKSI-gang

- ATM machines of course available in the arrival-hall, so u can withdraw cash while waiting for ur luggage

my return flight to BKK a few days ago - to my surprise - was 90% full, a few Farang but mostly Indonesian travellers on a leisure trip (kinda party-atmosphere on board).

the usual excellent AirAsia-safety-attitude applied for the Indonesian crew as well, both flights on time (return flight even 10 minutes ahead of schedule). The emergency-instructions for passengers sitting in the emergency-exit-row performed by the pretty Indo-Stewardess was probably the best and most comprehensive I ever experienced in my life

I read in the Indo daily papers that the bookings for December to February 2008 are already above any expectation, so it is most likely that this route will exist for a long time....

hopefully, a connection between two of Asia's most exciting destinations, Bangkok-Bali will be added sooner or later....

Edited by THAILIBAN

• 3 weeks later...

Flew on this route recently and I think it is here to stay. Each way there would have been no more than 5 empty seats so word is out, passengers would have been 80% Indonesian, some Thais and a few westerners.

As usual for Air Asia both my flights departed about half an hour late. :o

Arriving in Jakarta after midnight everyone got off the plane but not enough room for everyone on the bus (or people didn't move up enough) so had to wait on the tarmac for 10 minutes for another bus.

As Thaliban says there are no money changers open so make sure you have an ATM card, there are machines located in the luggage area.

Meter taxis downtown (bluebird) are 80,000 upwards (+tolls) but beware of the 'limo' options as they want triple this amount.

One tip, if you want to buy a coffee like me, they start serving from the rear of the plane and even though l was only four rows from the back it still took 45 minutes after takeoff before l could get served. If you're seated towards the front then they might never make it that far.

Two of the best looking flight attendants (Indonesian) I have ever seen :D

Two of the best looking flight attendants (Indonesian) I have ever seen :o

Gotta love those AA flight tendies...some of the cutest in the skies :D

Great to hear of another AA destination. These discount carriers are great not only for their (sometimes) cheaper prices but the increased flights they offer on some routes and the flights they offer to destinations the major carriers overlook.

Only problem with the Cebu Pacific flight is that when I took it about a year ago, it left Bangkok around 2 am and arrives in MNL around 5 am. Too late to get any sleep at nite and too early to get anything done in MNL...but at least you beat the traffic to wherever it is you are going :D